DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 2011 Honda Pilot with the EX-L trim package’s stock speakers crackle on the base notes on certain songs at very low and high volumes but sounds relatively rich and clear for a stock system on other songs like Gravity by John Mayer and High by Sir Sly, (It happens with a lot of songs but one I’ve noticed in particular is Violent by carolesdaughter.) I was originally going to replace the tweeters since I though those were causing the crackling seeing as they are so cheap and small, however I have now discovered it is coming from all 6 speakers in the car besides the subwoofer. That leaves me incredibly confused as to what could be the source of the crackling. Are the speakers just cheap? But why would they sound good at full volume on other songs like Wow. by Post Malone? I still think the tweeters do need to be replaced because they do distort at loud volume but not crackle. Is it a wiring issue (which why would that only be the case on certain songs) or is the head unit? The car is 10 years old and well used with 150,000 miles so could something be worn with age? Please help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I got all new JBL speakers that are WAY louder with a more gut punching bass and a crossover for the new Twetters and the tweeters are STILL crackling? Could it be a problem with my aux port? Maybe my head unit?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
try different sources (cd vs 3.5mm vs whatever) swap your headphone cable out and try a different phone. If none of that works than it could be stock system... Maybe someone prior to you messed with the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Modern day Honda's have some connector issues that seem to have the same symptoms as you are describing...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Don't expect much. The spider is know to come loose on them and cause rattling. Go the crutchfield and get new speakers. This is a typical Honda/Acura factory speaker. Even with the ELS system this is what you get.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Update: I got all new JBL speakers that are WAY louder with a more gut punching bass and a crossover for the new Twetters and the tweeters are STILL crackling? Could it be a problem with my aux port? Maybe my head unit?

Did you get the JBL 4 ohms or 2 ohms speakers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have now discovered that if I turn the volume down on my phone one notch the clicking stops not matter how loud I have the head unit. This doesn’t happen in other cars why mine?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
somehow you're clipping the input. Not an unreasonable discovery. This should be everyone's first step when setting up a system (establishing distortion or clipping at each device in the signal chain).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts