DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a set of speaker baffles for my 6.5" comp set just for the water protection. But I read on here somewhere that another poster said speaker baffles killed his bass, so he cut the backs of them out.

Should I do that on mine?

Are speaker baffles not suited to block rain?

Wouldn't they have been an easier, cheaper, and equally effective to block rain as these custom made aluminum shields?

Enlighten me, gents!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
if you use foam speaker baffles....cut the bottom half out to let the woofer breath.

I used 4" x 12" rubber strip from a cheap welcome mat, in my current installation and it keeps the rain off my mids, doesn't resonate, and flexes out of the way, when my window is rolled down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you use foam speaker baffles....cut the bottom half out to let the woofer breath.

I used 4" x 12" rubber strip from a cheap welcome mat, in my current installation and it keeps the rain off my mids, doesn't resonate, and flexes out of the way, when my window is rolled down.
Do you mean the entire bottom of the baffle or say 180 degrees of the 360 of the bottom, leaving one half of the magnet exposed (the bottom half)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did the exact same thing in my car. folded over the dynamat and even cut out a piece of tin to make a MB 'shelter'.

Easy to do, cheap, and pretty effective.

use some antiseize on your wire connections and you're good to go.

stick to MB's without paper cones too and you'll be good

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Do you mean the entire bottom of the baffle or say 180 degrees of the 360 of the bottom, leaving one half of the magnet exposed (the bottom half)?

Thanks!
Yup... you are just creating an umbrella.....there is no secret formula to it

·
Registered
355 Posts
^^^ Yes, I think that's the idea- leave the bottom horizontal half open. I'll be trying this, or the tupperware bowl method someday.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bought a set of speaker baffles for my 6.5" comp set just for the water protection. But I read on here somewhere that another poster said speaker baffles killed his bass, so he cut the backs of them out.

Should I do that on mine?

Are speaker baffles not suited to block rain?

Wouldn't they have been an easier, cheaper, and equally effective to block rain as these custom made aluminum shields?

Enlighten me, gents!
most baffles make the speaker sound like ass cheese.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I used the stuff in the link below, just cut it with scissors. Easier to install and its held for a couple of years now and still feels like it did when new. My car is a G37 with the frameless window and the doors leak a little, right on top of my L8's. The L8's are now gone (rusted to death) but the new speakers are covered and stay dry with this contraption. Mine is cut in half (I only need to cover the top) with the back removed. This is soft water proof foam that can be very easily cut with scissors alone. Particularly good for people like me with very few tools at home.

Amazon.com: XTC 12" Round Foam Baffle Pair: Car Electronics

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to try this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really liked this DIY and used this to protect my MB.

Also later then I developed this in proper plastic WaterGurad. Inspired by circa40's design and the credit goes to him only. I just used his basic idea and made it hassle free for the people who don't like DIYs.

check out the design at WaterGuard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bump the old thread.... Interested to see this, but all the pics look dead. Anyone got a pic or two left from this to give me ideas? I'm assuming these are formed half umbrellas sealed to the inner door skin covering the MB?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts