DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I assume you mean Bass, and not base. And you are saying he turned it down much lower, not tuned it much lower?

He set the gain lower so it would not blow again is my guess. Clarion does not make great subs, what amplifier are you using? Do you have any other options with this dealer besides clarion?

Biggest question for us is, did the dealer say why the sub blew?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
this is type of customer i would refuse

Reactions: FAUEE and MrGreen83

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
I assume the OP came in and edited his posts after being called out in another post. They are now blank. Strange.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume the OP came in and edited his posts after being called out in another post. They are now blank. Strange.
Right. I just didn’t feel like arguing with people and listening to them telling me it’s my fault. I spent over $1000 therefore I expect it to last

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
their point being, not sure if you actually messed with the system or not, if you did, than say so and they will be more than happy to help you figure out how to get max out of your system and blow anymore subs,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
their point being, not sure if you actually messed with the system or not, if you did, than say so and they will be more than happy to help you figure out how to get max out of your system and blow anymore subs,
I didn’t mess with the system at all, still is how they installed it

·
Registered
657 Posts
Holy crap ... why are the gains set so high? Even a 20-year old head unit would have 2V outputs. You would likely need to be very cautious with the volume on the source to keep from clipping the input to the amp at those settings.

·
Registered
657 Posts
pretty sure the flat portion of the gain knob is the "back" ... I made a crude sketch to show what I mean. Methinks it would be easier to sort out on his picture if it wasn't upside down.

In this sketch, the arrow I drew is pointing to the set-point of the gain knob.

Here is his original picture rotated and cropped ... to me it looks like Channel A is set to about 0.4V, Channel B is just under 0.5V and the Sub Channel is 1V. At least the Bass Boost is off ...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yeah, looking close, I think you are correct. I thought that I saw an "arrow" on the flat side of the Sub "Bass Boost" knob, which is why I thought that was the "pointer" side, but the LPF and HPF settings make much more sense if the knobs work as you describe. Sorry for the confusion! :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
The real confusion is that there are now 2 threads for this ... and it sure seems to me that the installer is on drugs with these gain settings /shrug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts