DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do it? Or how can I tell if an amp is strappable if it doesn’t have master and slave switch option?
I ended up coming across a single P3D2-Rockford P3 Duel 2ohm 12”. ([email protected] max rms) I have it in a speced correctly Rockford made single ported box.
Then I ended up coming across 2 identical Kicker amps (CX 600.1) with max [email protected] I don’t want to loose the power and run 1 amp at 4 ohm so either I’m going to sell this 2ohm sub and buy a 4 ohm one or.......unless it’s possible to safely strap them together and then I would be ok at 4ohm because of additional power. Right?? I’ve never strapped amps before so very hesitant about it and can’t seem to find much at all in web of strapping Kicker amps. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
You are not really going to be actually strapping the amps. You will be bi-amping the dual voice coil sub. Meaning you need to feed each amp an identical signal and then set the gains so that you are also sending each voice coil an equally identical signal. it can be done, but i don't know enough about the rest of your system to know if you can do that. It would be way easier to just get a single amp that can do 600 watts at 1 or 4 ohms...they are cheap and readily available. Or like you said switch to a D4 sub and use 1 of the kicker amps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info. Yeah I’m thinkin probably just get the 4 ohm P3. I like both hip hop and rock and have always had best luck getting both to sound good running at 2 ohms. I can’t seem to get the overall sound Running 1 or 4 like I can with 2 ohm.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Thanks for info. Yeah I’m thinkin probably just get the 4 ohm P3. I like both hip hop and rock and have always had best luck getting both to sound good running at 2 ohms. I can’t seem to get the overall sound Running 1 or 4 like I can with 2 ohm.
Thanks again!
Impedance is irrelevant to how your system sounds.It is only a way to match a sub to an amp.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ohm is relevant to sound in the fact the lower it is the more power your amp will send to the speaker. So an unknowing person would perceive a lower ohm load as sounding better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts