DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know on other boards this type of thread has always existed, but i would like to know based on Extreme levels of SQ, what you use to show off your SQ.

I'm still tuning and whatnot with my car, its getting very nice (in my eyes) but would like ALOT more material to base my car off of.

When listing the song, if you do list one, Give a brief run through of what it should sound like.

My favorite song right now to play to test and show off my car is a song called, Distant Moment by John Serrie.

John Serrie - Distant Moment
The song should be very light and smooth, extended top end sparkle, Low end should be very deep, clean and accurate. I really like this song, its really mellow, and laid back. The epitome of ambient space, if you like this style.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Personal Favorites:

Eagles - Hotel California XRCD version

George Duke - The Black Messiah (Part Two)

Spanish Harlem

What always impressed me was the focal demo disc that they give to authorized dealers to show off there speakers. I haven't found a copy yet to own myself, but that cd always puts a smile to my face when i listen to the utopias.

Also, this one.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=CCHEUD95

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We really aught to get a server or something to put these CD's or references on, sorta over my limit this month on the CC, wish i could get that Demonstration Disk, it looks awesome........Looks to be a really wide range of music, with sections dedicated to explination of the different parts they outline, and examples....Wow.

Another Song, this time Jazz, Its sorta old, SQ man not be top notch but as far as accuracy and instrumentation and such you can't beat some Big Band.

Benny Goodman Band - Sing Sing Sing (Sing, Swing, Sing) I played this song back in highschool jazz band, i played the Tuba, Did the string bass part, was really fun. The song is extreemly fast, and frantic, and has pretty good drum and trumpet intrumentations, Very nice. Lots of dynamics, Hopefully will be able to play this tommorrow in my car to see how it really stacks up.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ludemandan said:
Zero 7 - Home

That's all I can think of at the moment, but the Zero 7 albums I have - Simple Things and When it Falls - are both pretty good SQ albums.

Dan

Yes, yes, and yes. :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hmm I might be the only one who says this, but I like all the albums from A Perfect Circle. They tend to play smooth music then without warning go into some faster paced notes, then back to smooth. YOu can really test to see if your system can gracefully keep up.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Cheskey Demo discs are nice as well as some of the IASCA and USAC discs. Many of these give the actual placement of the instruments/performers. This helps out quite a bit. I also have demo discs from Boston Acoustics, FOCAL, Alpine, and Telarc and all are nice. I use several discs to set up a system.

Lately I have been listening to Nora Jones to test for imaging. The best way to find out how this disc should sound is to go to a "HIGH END" home audio store and listen to it. Then get in your car and play it.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My favorite has always been Peter Gabriel. His music isn't all cluttered up. Everything is clear and precise, and really extends for a really solid frequency range. Many songs the bass guitar really drops. It'll make a believer out of you.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few other SQ songs that i like well that arn't really songs, would be

Buddha Bar Mix 1
Hed Kandi - Winter Chill Vol 3
Pink Floyd - Meddle (more specifically, Song #2, Very awesome song, Very light, occasional string bass 1/2 through the song.)
Pink Floyd - Echoes - You just can't beat this song, its top notch, Sub/Midbass integration is a must to get the string bass to sound right.

Common people keep throwing songs out, and yea we really need somewhere to store all of these for a rainy day :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have to check out Jeffrey Osborne - "Plane Love"

This song has very nice kick in both channels and there are little bongos that get hit at different speeds in both channels. This song will really take your breath away. He as a singer has a deep voice as well that is a challenge to get the pitch just right.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a few "go-to" songs.

1. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over.
This song sounds good on almost anything, but once you begin to listen to it on some truely high-end stuff (B&W 703s are my favorite so far), you begin to learn that there are entirely new layers to this song that you never realized. I've listened to this song very often since the cd first came out like what, 10 or more years ago? I've probably listened to this song 5,000 times or more. Even still, as I listen to it on better quality stuff, I still find more to it. Truely an involving musical experience.

2. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty. This song isn't as complex as Hotel California, but there's still an awful lot to listen to. It has a very wide soundstage, and on a good enough stereo, you can decide which guitar you want to listen to and focus on it from start to finish. Tom Petty's voice also sounds VERY different from speaker to speaker, so it makes for some interesting comparisons.

3. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is outstanding, and sounds very good in this song, especially in the beginning. Bass drum also has a lot of impact early on.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
I got a chance to listen to Hotel California DVD audio version on a pair of Genesis Flagship speakers... one of the most amazing experience in my life.

$120,000 speakers playing on a $30,000 cd player.... the wires comming out from the speakers and deck were like the size of my arm.... After listening to that setup, everything i owned sounded like garbage.

Excellent cd.

Jim85IROC said:
I have a few "go-to" songs.

1. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over.
This song sounds good on almost anything, but once you begin to listen to it on some truely high-end stuff (B&W 703s are my favorite so far), you begin to learn that there are entirely new layers to this song that you never realized. I've listened to this song very often since the cd first came out like what, 10 or more years ago? I've probably listened to this song 5,000 times or more. Even still, as I listen to it on better quality stuff, I still find more to it. Truely an involving musical experience.

2. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty. This song isn't as complex as Hotel California, but there's still an awful lot to listen to. It has a very wide soundstage, and on a good enough stereo, you can decide which guitar you want to listen to and focus on it from start to finish. Tom Petty's voice also sounds VERY different from speaker to speaker, so it makes for some interesting comparisons.

3. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is outstanding, and sounds very good in this song, especially in the beginning. Bass drum also has a lot of impact early on.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Ludemandan said:
Zero 7 - Home

That's all I can think of at the moment, but the Zero 7 albums I have - Simple Things and When it Falls - are both pretty good SQ albums.

Dan
Another Zero 7 fan? Awesome! I saw them maybe 7-8 months ago and was blown away.

As for my standard "impress the newcomer" discs, here are a quick handful:

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, "Live Art". Three words: Victor Lamonte Wooten. If you put "Sinister Minister" on and toe-tapping does not ensue, either the system sucks or the listener has no soul.

Shostakovich 7 "Leningrad", mvt 4 (Allegro non troppo I believe), Yuri Temirkanov conducting the St. Petersburg (nee, of course, Leningrad) Philharmonic on RCA Victor. I'm a DSCH nut and probably own 15 interpretations of just DSCH 7 - were I ever to pull a Gilbert Kaplan, my muse would be DSCH 7 no matter how worthy Mahler 2 is - but this one from ca. 1997 is still by a large margin my go-to 7. (That said, if anyone has a CD/SACD/DVDA/LP of Vladimir Ashkenazy conducting DSCH7, I'd be interested in buying it off of you.) OUTSTANDING dynamic range: be careful that you don't turn it up too high in the beginning because it'll knock your ears off later on, long before the trombones shove everyone to the backs of their chairs about 14:30 through the piece. If you don't have either good horn-loaded mains or at least direct radiators with SERIOUS cone area (12"-15" midbasses MINIMUM, with subs to match) then once you do listen to it on such a system it'll never sound right again. I'd love to hear this piece on the Gedlee Summa someday....

Natalie Merchant, "Live in Concert". This CD is a great one to show off your upper midrange/lower treble, because of the way Ms. Merchant's peerless voice lilts away. ("San Andreas Fault" is a very good demo track, as is the cover of Bowie's "Space Oddity".) This CD will also very quickly disabuse anyone of the notion that kickpanel-mounted mids or in-car 3-way front stages are remotely good ideas....

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Greatest Hits. After "Sinister Minister", my next never-fail go-to track is SRV's instrumental cover of Hendrix's "Little Wing". I wouldn't call it the highest of hi-fi, but the emotion that comes through the disc is just perfect.

That said, the disc with the highest play count on my music server over the past month is Death Cab for Cutie's "Transatlanticism", so that's what I've been playing for people of late. Not to say that "Plans" is a bad CD - it's the 4th most common CD iTunes has sent to my Airport Express in September - ut after I bought it I was only reminded of the surpassing genius that is "Transatlanticism".

·
Registered
374 Posts
Some of my favorite SQ discs are :

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (Songtrack) [1999]
Van Halen - The Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1
Opeth - Damnation
Steve Von Till - If I Should Fall To The Field
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Bjork (any album from her)
Isis - Panopticon
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live
Metallica - Ride The Lightning DCC Gold Remastered [2000]

Ryan

·
Registered
989 Posts
I gathered this info up from an ECA post.

For downloads, check out these free downloads from Mercedes Benz
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom/...tml?flashstop=0
http://www.sexy-admin.de/modules.ph...download&sid=10

For regular CD's check this out.
http://www.regnar.com/Sheffield Recordings.htm

PINK FLOYD!!!!

Quote:
Gladiator - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack'. Specifically, Track 3 is a superb test track that would test the best of the equipment. It consists of very complex passages full of instruments covering the whole spectrum.. Use this to test accurate imaging and instrument seperation.

Individual Songs

Quote:

Alice In Chains - No Excuses
Off the Unplugged cd its just raw and the drum is what your listening for it should be right up in front along with the rest of the band. The Drums are very tight and crisp.

Batman Oveture
What can I say the highs are screaming, there are some very hard passages in this song, and the ending with the ultra low bass makes this a most have for any SQ test cd

Bela Fleck and The Flecktones - Far East Medley
One of my favorite bands and one of my favorite tracks by them, This recording is flawless for being live. And the song mixes up so many different styles. Victor Wootens bass lines are stunning.

Boyz II Men - So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday
All accapella gives you something to see if your system can accuratly produce the male voice.

Breathe A Tribute To The Dave Matthews Band - Dont Drink The Water
Well first off this is a bluegrass band and this track has some nice low end extension but the true point of this song is the mandolin, the fiddle, and the banjo all hard instruments to recreate accuratly.

Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
They say the female voice is the hardest to recreate, in this song Christina goes thru many octaves proving again like it or not she has a amazing voice.

Dave Matthews And Soulive - Joyful Girl
Excellent recording with a pounding bass line. The mixture of instruments and Daves voice smack dab in the middle make it a great tune.

Dave Matthews Band - Intro Listener Supported
This is the intro to the bands live cd Listener Supported it has a killer kicker drum thru out the song simulating a heart beat and Leroi Moore on the saxaphone is incredible. Has a nice build up to it finally goes into the next song which you dont get LOL..

Dave Matthews Band - Two Step
Incredible imaging and space. Subs will get a work out with the fast paced bass line. Incredible SQ song

David Gray - Please Forgive Me
Excellent recording his voice should be right in the middle of your soundstage. Incredible bass drop towards the end of the song.

Eric Clapton - Lonely Stranger
This is one of the most respected live recordings ever. So much going on in this song it should really bring your system alive from Eric keeping a beat tapping his foot on the floor, to the triangle hits in the percussion section.

Genesis - Dance On A Volcano
Old school SQ Track, Crazy intro should have your subs pounding and your highs screaming. Proceeds into a crazy off beat measure.

Genesis - Squonk
One Word BASS, killer old school SQ track

Grant Green - Idle Moments
Excellent recording, Piano one of the hardest instruments to reproduce correctly then to top it off throw a Xylophone into the mix for a excellent SQ track

Grant Green - 'Round Midnight
This guitar should jump right out at ya, Grants playing is so smooth and recording is perfect in everyway picks up every little nuance of his playing. The very subtle drumming is incredible add in a nice upright bass line and you got a classic mellow Jazz tune.

John Mayer - Daughters
John has such a distinct voice and this recording puts it right in the middle of the soundstage, it also is the focus of the song.

John Mayer - Victoria
Excellent recording and killer bass from such a simple song. Just a simple guitar, bass, vocal track

John Williams - Jurassic Park Ending Credits
Nice low end extension and the strings make it a great song to show off your system.

Klaus Badelt - Swords Crossed And Walk The Plank
These two tracks are from the Pirates Of The Caribean Soundtrack and is a complete system workout. I use these two tracks to demonstrate my system more than anything else. It will work out your speakers. Beware of LOW LOW Bass

Madonna - Vogue
Excellent intro from the finger snaps to the bassline.. Great old school demo song

Maroon 5 - Secret
The first thing you notice is your subs are going nuts during the thunderstorm intro, but then it leads into the
song which is extremely detailed and sounds fantastic on a well balanced system

Nickel Creek - Reasons Why
This song is incredible, from the instruments(Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, Fiddle) to the two part harmonies which
will have your front stage sparkling

Nora Jones - Cold Cold Heart
She has such a amazing voice and as stated before the female voice is one of the most difficult things to
reproduce. And hers is simply jaw dropping..

Nora Jones - Dont Know Why
See Above

Orff - O Fortuna
Well we all know are systems can play loud but what about subtle nuances in music often lost in translation this song is incredible and the ending will have the subs pounding.

Phish - You Enjoy Myself
This song covers just about every instrument you can think of. Incredible musicianship and pinpoints instruments
as each player gets his moment in the spotlight. At times it is very complex as each musician is making his point.

Steely Dan - FM
Excellent intro for left and right seperation as two guitars appear on seperate channels. Add to that some killer bass and kick drums and you got a excellent tune. Another old school SQ track

Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathoustra
Low LOw LOW bass line, the timpanis the strings and brass section.. Cant beat it for just pure excellence.

Eagles Hotel California, is known as a Reference for SQ

Dire Straights- Brothers in Arms

Eagles-Hell Freezes Over

Flectones-Live Art

Anything from Tool, Lateralus especially

Boston-Greatest Hits

If you like Classical music

Reference recordings release of "Pines of Rome" by Respeghi (grammy a few years back for best engineered album)

Reference Recordings release of "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky/Ravel

XRCD24 release of "Rites of Spring" by Stravinsky

Jazz:

A Love Supreme by Coltrane

Take 5 by Dave Brubeck

Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus.

If you like Trance check out
Paul Van Dyck
Armin Van Buuren
Ferry Corsten
Tiesto
Sasha and John Digweed

Frank Sinatra has clean recordings

Vanessa Carlton - Be Not Nobody
Enigma - Love, Sensuality, Devotion
Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole (Live Version by MTV Unplugged)
Loreena McKennitt
Chesky Jazz
Dido - Life for Rent
Pink Floyd - DarkSide of the Moon
Rem - Best of 1988 - 2003 (Special Edition)
Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball
Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Evanescence - Fallen
Depeche Mode - Exciter
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Orgy - Vapor Transmission
Fleetwood Mac - (Any/All Albums)

Tony Bennett: Steppin Out. Great recording, great performer. Wonderful piano sound.

Tracy Chapman, very good recordings.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.