DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am new to this forum but, I have done a lot of reading. (Waiting for TSTF's 2nd round of testing of various sound deadening products.)

This may come across as a completely stupid question and contradictory in nature.

However, I was curious if anyone on this forum has tried to strike a balance between allowing the exhaust to be heard and maintaining low wind/road noise + less vibrations in a car.

I have a 2017 Audi RS3 and I must say the exhaust is awesome. However, the rattling of panels, door handles, and occasional creak is not so awesome. Now Audi did an ok job at using some sort of deadening material in the wheel arches but, there is not much in the trunk and the door panels.

I even deleted the resonator which has now introduced some minor NVH into the cabin albeit, at higher RPM's.

Is there some sort of combo of products I can use to help me out here? Or am I just overthinking it?

At the moment, my current plan is to use a high heat resistant sound dampener like Dynamat on the inside of the door shell to dampen any road noise or wind noise but, allowing my 5cyl exhaust to still be heard.

This part I am stuck on. Whether I use MLV or CFD for the exterior of the door shell and then applying MLV on the interior door card.

Any suggestions?
Again, I apologize if this question sounds very stupid in nature I am just trying to see if I can reduce vibration and road noise on this car while retaining the glorious 5cyl sound.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hello all.

I am new to this forum but, I have done a lot of reading. (Waiting for TSTF's 2nd round of testing of various sound deadening products.)

This may come across as a completely stupid question and contradictory in nature.

However, I was curious if anyone on this forum has tried to strike a balance between allowing the exhaust to be heard and maintaining low wind/road noise + less vibrations in a car.

I have a 2017 Audi RS3 and I must say the exhaust is awesome. However, the rattling of panels, door handles, and occasional creak is not so awesome. Now Audi did an ok job at using some sort of deadening material in the wheel arches but, there is not much in the trunk and the door panels.

I even deleted the resonator which has now introduced some minor NVH into the cabin albeit, at higher RPM's.

Is there some sort of combo of products I can use to help me out here? Or am I just overthinking it?

At the moment, my current plan is to use a high heat resistant sound dampener like Dynamat on the inside of the door shell to dampen any road noise or wind noise but, allowing my 5cyl exhaust to still be heard.

This part I am stuck on. Whether I use MLV or CFD for the exterior of the door shell and then applying MLV on the interior door card.

Any suggestions?
Again, I apologize if this question sounds very stupid in nature I am just trying to see if I can reduce vibration and road noise on this car while retaining the glorious 5cyl sound.

Thanks in advance.

Um, you can dampen the noise that gets into the car from the outside, but that includes the exhaust noise. You really can't have your cake and eat it too. If you really want to deaden outside noise, do it, then if you want to hear the exhaust, roll down the window.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Reduce it some? Yes, but at the cost of various materials and extensive work. Still, performance exhaust drone will never go away. That's one of it's purposes.... to be heard. Dealt with the same. I finally chose to get rid of it altogether.... stock quiet muffler and never looked back.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, you can dampen the noise that gets into the car from the outside, but that includes the exhaust noise. You really can't have your cake and eat it too. If you really want to deaden outside noise, do it, then if you want to hear the exhaust, roll down the window.
My thought process was if I only deadened the doors that I could reduce the wind/road noise + rattles AND hear my exhaust / drone. Is there no type of material combo I can make use of here?

Also what do you suggest if I do plan on going the full on sound deadening route?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reduce it some? Yes, but at the cost of various materials and extensive work. Still, performance exhaust drone will never go away. That's one of it's purposes.... to be heard. Dealt with the same. I finally chose to get rid of it altogether.... stock quiet muffler and never looked back.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
That's good I definitely want my performance drone.

You have any suggestions in terms of materials and what combination to use them in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would be the point of hearing the exhaust?
Virtually no cars make a 5 cylinder exhaust note. This is incredibly unique and a lot of people love the TTRS and RS3 for that reason alome.

I am an audio guy but, I also tune my stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many horsepower does your performance drone add?
Lol.

Enough to wipe the floor with most super car owners. That wouldn't be the exhaust that would be all the money that went into pushing the car into new territory. Don't believe me watch Malaka Motorsports. They are pioneering this segment.

Seems like most people here are trying to get rid of exhaust notes whereas I am trying to somewhat keep it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what my cars exhaust sounds like. I'd rather hear my stereo better.
I mean I am not sound proofing everything.

I just want to reduce low frequency noise and rattling. I plan on only doing the doors and still being able to hear the drone when driving hard. When I am driving normally I want to reduce wind noise and overall have a better audio experience if I am just driving in comfort mode.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Probably no one tell you by now that;
-first, you wont get rid of road/wind noise totaly even with full car treatment with cld,ccf,mlv. Possible only with special window glas(doubling and etc) multiple rubber door seals and etc...
-second, by saying that in first, we can all agree that your exhaust is going to be heard even if you wrap yourself in mlv and go for drive like that.
-third if you dont understand what i am saying, put ear plugs and go for a ride, than come here and tellus did you hear exhaust?

i worked in mercedes i can brag whole day what they do to maybach and s classes, so you dont hear exhaust in cabin. Your little audi dont have 20% of that stuff so dont bother too much...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably no one tell you by now that;
-first, you wont get rid of road/wind noise totaly even with full car treatment with cld,ccf,mlv. Possible only with special window glas(doubling and etc) multiple rubber door seals and etc...
-second, by saying that in first, we can all agree that your exhaust is going to be heard even if you wrap yourself in mlv and go for drive like that.
-third if you dont understand what i am saying, put ear plugs and go for a ride, than come here and tellus did you hear exhaust?

i worked in mercedes i can brag whole day what they do to maybach and s classes, so you dont hear exhaust in cabin. Your little audi dont have 20% of that stuff so dont bother too much...
?

I asked what the best recommendations are to reduce wind/road noise. I never stated exterior noise would be completely removed by applying sound treatment or that I was bragging about my Audi.

Again. Everyone seems to be super hung up over the exhaust part. What are the best recommendations for small 4 door cars at the moment? What are products are people using on their A3/S3/RS3's? That seems like a better question.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
?

I asked what the best recommendations are to reduce wind/road noise. I never stated exterior noise would be completely removed by applying sound treatment or that I was bragging about my Audi.

Again. Everyone seems to be super hung up over the exhaust part. What are the best recommendations for small 4 door cars at the moment? What are products are people using on their A3/S3/RS3's? That seems like a better question.

Regular cld (dynamat, noico, stinger roadkill, RESONIX, etc) is really the basic start to getting rid of noise, and probably all you would want given your desire to hear the exhaust well. I just did the hatch of my Camaro with cld, it did quiet the exhaust noise just a bit but removed quite a lot of the other noise. As someone else said, you'll probably not be able to significantly reduce the wind noise without basically redesigning the car.
TLDR: use CLD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you should research which sound proofing fits your needs best and then max it out. My installer put in 70 pounds of butyl and it made a big difference. I crank it and I have zero rattling or vibrations. Do it right with a good installer(if it isn't you). The doors are super important:
View attachment 271196 View attachment 271197
I suggest you take your seats out and put it on the floor too.
View attachment 271200
I will probably just end up doing only the doors.

The thing is so many people say so many different things. I just want to be able to go fast hear the exhaust and not rattle anything in the process.

I am contemplating just using dynamat all the way from front to back.

I do not know what the general consensus is for the best material.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I will probably just end up doing only the doors.

The thing is so many people say so many different things. I just want to be able to go fast hear the exhaust and not rattle anything in the process.

I am contemplating just using dynamat all the way from front to back.

I do not know what the general consensus is for the best material.

Cld the inside of the door skins, maybe between the door panel and inner door, the rear deck, rear decklid, maybe inside the rear fenders, and if you want to get really crazy - yank the carpet and put some on the floor, also under the seats.
If you want a brand recommendation: order Resonix, or get something from your local shop. Some people swear by Noico, it's cheaper than the rest, Dayton Audio also has some cheaper stuff.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
CLD = constrained layer dampener
It's the tar-like black butyl backing with foil on the top.
Dynamat is cld.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts