DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3298 Posts

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**stole this from another forum but i thought it would be a great idea for this one**

What are some of the stupidest things people have said to you concerning car audio? I'll start it off..

coming from a person who claims he has been into car audio for 25 years and a shop owner (who is obsessed with hertz/audison) when i showed him Hybrid Audio and was looking at the clarus line.. "yeah, no these are pieces of crap that are just re-branded, cheaper version of the Hertz Hi-Energy's. Look at the crossover, theyre exactly the same but with cheaper parts..."
Later on he looked at the Legatia and said they were re-branded, Milles. Needless to say i left and refuse to go back.

LETS HEAR YOURS!...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had a dead battery once and the tow truck driver who gave me a jump looked at the battery and said "Here's your problem why your battery is dead" and grabbed my power cable. He said "you need to run this off you fuse box, not the battery"

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've heard plenty over the years. A good one would be that his off brand amp was rated at 2,000w and he only wanted an 8ga install kit to power it. Another would be the guy that has issues with his system shutting down, and he has his ground wire screwed to piece of plastic trim with a trim screw. Better yet, I've seen a ground that was taped with Scotch tape, because the individual doing the install couldn't crimp the ring terminal.... I am sure many have seen much worse. This thread should be very entertaining! People are idiots, for sure.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my favorite was the stoner who told me it was ok if a subwoofer had a blown voice coil... because subwoofers don't need to reproduce frequencies as high as voices anyways.
Had a dead battery once and the tow truck driver who gave me a jump looked at the battery and said "Here's your problem why your battery is dead" and grabbed my power cable. He said "you need to run this off you fuse box, not the battery"
lmfao those are both golden.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Some random craigslist seller replies to my question "what color is the grill (OEM door piece, usually matched to car's interior color):

"you can spray paint them any color you want. this will reinforce rigidity of the cone ==> crisp and precise sound"

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard plenty over the years. A good one would be that his off brand amp was rated at 2,000w and he only wanted an 8ga install kit to power it. Another would be the guy that has issues with his system shutting down, and he has his ground wire screwed to piece of plastic trim with a trim screw. Better yet, I've seen a ground that was taped with Scotch tape, because the individual doing the install couldn't crimp the ring terminal.... I am sure many have seen much worse. This thread should be very entertaining! People are idiots, for sure.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I bought a PG MS2125 from a dumbass on Craigslist for $50! He said I had this or the Sony Xplod to use in my car and you know I had to go Sony! I was like umm... EXCELLENT CHOICE! :thumbsup::smoking:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Why do you have a subwoofer? I can barely hear it.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I was once told that my old amplifiers were going to fry upon the first power cycle in the car by a sales associate at a car audio shop trying to sell me a brand new Memphis Power Reference amplifier. I told him that I had a 55 amp, 12 volt power source, and they worked perfectly fine on it in the house on my test bench. His retort "Yeah, but when you put them in the car, they are going to blow. You've been warned and you are going to wish you had purchased this amp that is on sale for today only!"

I told him that I would see him again and just pay full price if that is indeed the case.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I bought a PG MS2125 from a dumbass on Craigslist for $50! He said I had this or the Sony Xplod to use in my car and you know I had to go Sony! I was like umm... EXCELLENT CHOICE! :thumbsup::smoking:
LOL! I had a similar experience with a kid I knew who had wanted me to install some 6x9s in his rear deck. I popped down the seat to remove the panel and saw a US Amps USA400 laying in his trunk. I asked him what he was doing with it and he told me "I got it from my uncle, it's crappy it can't push my subs like my new Kicker 750.1". I asked him what he wanted for it and he told me $20...

I asked him what he had it running off of and he told me it was running off the same wire as his Kicker amp. One single run of cheap 8 gauge power and ground... :(

This same kid sold me an Alpine CDA-9855 for $5 because the internal amplifier was shot. To him it was trash, to me it was gold. I mean, who even uses the head units amplifier these days? :D

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
My personal experiences when demoing my car:

The mention of two 15s gets respect from the loud crowd which is 95% of the people around here. The other so called "SQ" guys look down on them before hearing them, assuming I'm like the other 95%. It's gotten to the point of being annoying, EVERYONE wants to hear what the 15s can really do, even though I keep it a little on the bass heavy side as is. I've cranked the gain real quick for a few people but I don't bother anymore to throw the tune off for some idiots.

Having 10s in the doors gets the same reaction. The best solution is to not tell anyone what's in the car, at least not until after they've heard it first.

When you try to explain what the processor does, they can't get past their own "surround sound" assumption. Trying to explain a stage is pointless.

I've learned that most people quantify a good system by how much treble and 40hz bass it produces. It can sound extremely good and realistic but apparently ear bleeding treble is what they're looking for to show how "clear" it is.

That brings me to my next one... When demoing others' systems...

Infinity speakers. I think 90% of the "badass" systems I've heard have infinities and bottom of the line Kicker subs. No vocals, no identifiable instruments, everything blends together in this mess of screeching treble along with the usual overly boosted 40hz from the bottom of the line Kickers powered by a boss amp. Shit is the only way to describe these things. I want to poke my eardrums out every time.

I let a guy who has a system like this adjust mine however he wanted. I let him go to town with the MS8, every adjustment it had and lo and behold, my Dyns sounded an awful lot like his Infinity system when he was done. I was amazed, people actually want their system to sound that way.:confused:

I guess this is more things I don't like when listening to or having other people listen to my system but there have been some insanely ignorant things mentioned, most of which I try and forget as quickly as possible. I'l try and think of some more. There have been several times I almost started a topic like this one after hearing someone's car.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head which isn't that bad compared to most, a local shop said IB can't work, that it's impossible.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
when people find out i am into car audio...95% of the time i get some kind of comment involving booming subwoofers. Which backs up my opinion that most people are morons.:)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I was looking for a hu with 3way active xo's, the guy from a reputable dealer said he had never heard of a hu like that. He told me that I was thinking of a dsp. Thank God he knew what one of those was.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 3298 Posts