DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3298 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My personal experiences when demoing my car:

The mention of two 15s gets respect from the loud crowd which is 95% of the people around here. The other so called "SQ" guys look down on them before hearing them, assuming I'm like the other 95%. It's gotten to the point of being annoying, EVERYONE wants to hear what the 15s can really do, even though I keep it a little on the bass heavy side as is. I've cranked the gain real quick for a few people but I don't bother anymore to throw the tune off for some idiots.

Having 10s in the doors gets the same reaction. The best solution is to not tell anyone what's in the car, at least not until after they've heard it first.

When you try to explain what the processor does, they can't get past their own "surround sound" assumption. Trying to explain a stage is pointless.

I've learned that most people quantify a good system by how much treble and 40hz bass it produces. It can sound extremely good and realistic but apparently ear bleeding treble is what they're looking for to show how "clear" it is.

That brings me to my next one... When demoing others' systems...

Infinity speakers. I think 90% of the "badass" systems I've heard have infinities and bottom of the line Kicker subs. No vocals, no identifiable instruments, everything blends together in this mess of screeching treble along with the usual overly boosted 40hz from the bottom of the line Kickers powered by a boss amp. Shit is the only way to describe these things. I want to poke my eardrums out every time.

I let a guy who has a system like this adjust mine however he wanted. I let him go to town with the MS8, every adjustment it had and lo and behold, my Dyns sounded an awful lot like his Infinity system when he was done. I was amazed, people actually want their system to sound that way.:confused:

I guess this is more things I don't like when listening to or having other people listen to my system but there have been some insanely ignorant things mentioned, most of which I try and forget as quickly as possible. I'l try and think of some more. There have been several times I almost started a topic like this one after hearing someone's car.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head which isn't that bad compared to most, a local shop said IB can't work, that it's impossible.
Thanks Buick, I needed a good laugh.:laugh: Everything you said was true. Yup bass and treble are all you need, fuck the midrange.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
How about this one...it's from the owner of a really small local shop. He was saying to me one day he had to get an amp he acquired from a customer repaired because the customer had too large a battery, and the extra current blew the power supply of the amplifier up....remember, this was a shop owner!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had 2 alpine type E 10's listed on CL. I got a text from this kid wanting them for is girlfriends car. He offered me 50$ for them. I told him i could get that for each sub on ebay. His response "well I'm running 1 explod 12 and she likes that. So i figure 2 tens would work. Also I'm looking to do this on the cheap. Lets face it 1 sony exlpod is way better cause type E's are weak!" i about peed my pants laughing so hard. There are sooo many bassheads in Dayton it's insane. All is see on Cl are kicker and Rockford 12's in giant ported boxes. Also see alot of JL stuff on the cheap for some reason too. My favorite is the boss 15's w ported box and boss 4000w amps. Ppl should have to take a competency test to reproduce!

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
A friend was told by a speaker company " Our speakers arent designed to be run out of phase"

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Had a guy who works at DD tell me the DD amp I was installing for a friend of his wouldn't come out of protect mode because I didn't have any speakers hooked up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Speaking of DD...

When I made the dreadful miscalculation of buying a DD sub, I asked the shop owner I bought it from, "What's a good tuning frequency for this thing?"

He responded, "40 hz. DD designed them to play below tuning, so it will reach down to like 32 hz. That's really f-ing low."

Bad sub. Bad advice. Even worse price.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
you can't get the sound up high if you mount the speakers under the dash, referring to my horns

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Speaking of DD...

When I made the dreadful miscalculation of buying a DD sub, I asked the shop owner I bought it from, "What's a good tuning frequency for this thing?"

He responded, "40 hz. DD designed them to play below tuning, so it will reach down to like 32 hz. That's really f-ing low."

Bad sub. Bad advice. Even worse price.
Actually you CAN get a DD sub to sound good. You just gotta either hit the sub with a woofer tester for specs or experiment with boxes. My 510 that I got for free in a drawing sounded best in 1.5 tuned to 32hz. It wasn't the most musical sub I've ever owned but it was still a great 50/50 sub. The box was just too effing big for my install!

As for the dumbest thing I've ever heard someone tell me, there are tons but I'll say one of the most recent ones. A guy I work with who's a big dreamer but never wants to spend the money to do it right said "I had a RF Prime amp that shreaded three subs. I finally had to quit using it". He was running them in a ported box with unknown tuning. I tried to explain to him what was going on but he's just another moron basshead that will never have a clue.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Descriptions customers have given me over the years are pretty funny and I still use them today. I had an older Asian gentlemen tell me "my speaker no listen". I also worked deep in the hood for a bit and had a gangster tell me "I gots me speaker dat ain't playin, I dint even notice till I was ridin bitch side". Those are two of my favorites.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
.Had a guy come in to circuit city while I was working there. He did his own install and said it was working yesterday, but he can't figure out why it isn't working anymore. I checked the fuses and they weren't blown, then i metered the power wire and it was fine. So i tested the remote line and it didn't give me more than a few volts with an erratic reading. So i followed back the remote line from the dash under the steering wheel and metered it there and got a solid 12v. So i kept going aft and pulled the driver side sill trim and the remote line was pinched under the clips and there was like 4 feet of melted copper/pvc under his carpet from that wire shorting out. I hand him the wire and say you are lucky you are alive, your car could have caught fire and exploded because you ran this right over your fuel access to your fuel pump under the rear seat. He said his friend did installs all the time. Yep, good friend he is lol

Then we got a new kid in the shop. We had a nissan Titan customer who brought all of his gear and was paying for the install only. He had two power bass extreme 10's dvc4 in a truck box below the rear seats. He asked what I wanted him to do, and a basic thing is to install the subs in the box. He proceeds to unwrap everything and I make a point to watch him from in the truck (im running wire at this point). He hooks up one coil to the leads on the truck box and starts to screw the sub in. I run over real quick and ask what the hell he is doing, he proceeds to tell me that one set of terminals is all it needs and the second set of terminals is only for hooking another amp or sub up lol.

Apparently if you have a single dvc4 sub you can only use one of the 4 oh coils on a mono amp. :/

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I hate to mention this but it's one I got on the forums. A long time ago when I was thinking about going IB and asking a ton of questions I got some neat replies. It never made sense to me the rumor that sealed was louder than IB so I spent a bit of time proving that rumor wrong. One answer I got as the reason why sealed is louder than IB is cone "acceleration".

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
"Bass is more kind on the ears than treble" - a reply in regards to the risk of permanent hearing damage from listening to SPL systems

"Treble has an easier time getting into the ear because of the shorter wavelengths" - from the same person as above

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
A B-Buy sales clerk once told me "Audison?...you should not waste your money on flee-market brands and get you some Kicker amps"

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
A local "high-end" car audio sales clerk>>> "I don't think that mounting your no-name (read>>Acoustic Elegance) subs on a board (read>>IB), in that fashion, will sound good. You need to build an enclosure out of MDF and not fiberglass, because rectangular boxes produce better bass, compared to any oddly shaped ,custom enclosures."

·
Registered
513 Posts
I actually saw an installer drill the GND terminal post screw right on to the fuel pump of a customer's car...

I onced told a guy that he should cut off his sub frequency lower, he asked me, what? you mean literally cut the sub in half???

That very same guy, sitting with me in my car and I asked him, do you know why you don't seat in the middle of the car? -> when he asked why I just replied - because you don't wanna have the hand brake in your a#@...

Well... Life is Good :p

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Last week I was out messing with the trunk and had some kid walk up to me, point to my sub and ask, "what's that, a turbo?"

21 - 40 of 3298 Posts