DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3298 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had an idiot just last night tell me he had a 150 watt rms amp that put out 1500 because kenwood made it. and his 200.00 dollar car did 172db with his 1500 watt kenwood amp and 1 12 inch sub and 6x9s .. he said he got 3rd place cause the winner had more mids lmao

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had an idiot just last night tell me he had a 150 watt rms amp that put out 1500 because kenwood made it. and his 200.00 dollar car did 172db with his 1500 watt kenwood amp and 1 12 inch sub and 6x9s .. he said he got 3rd place cause the winner had more mids lmao
Lol wut!?!?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
147 Posts
A friend of mine has bragged to me about his setup he had in high school, when I asked him what he had it was all subs with tweeters... I'm sure it sounded real good. I told him I was going to show him how a car is supposed to sound, when I let him demo my car he loved it and commented "Dude, that sounds as good as stock". I was quite offended at first until I realized by "sounding as good as stock" he meant you could actually hear the music, not just bass and treble.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When people find out I'm an SPL competitor, they always tell me about how loud their old system was. And they always misremember. "Dude! I was doing 174db's! I shattered my windshield!" Ok, man.

My buddy used to run a shop and I would hang out there. Guys with a line array (lol) of "by nines" on the rear deck would come in and want him to put through bolts around their trunks with washers... but not like, tightened down. It was purposely FOR trunk rattles.

I heard this one at a shop yesterday. And this one of the better shops in town. Guy wanted to utilize and upgrade his stock locations to keep everything factory looking. He had dash speakers and the kid working there told him, "I wouldn't bother with dash speakers. You can't even really hear them."

·
Registered
394 Posts
My buddy used to run a shop and I would hang out there. Guys with a line array (lol) of "by nines" on the rear deck would come in and want him to put through bolts around their trunks with washers... but not like, tightened down. It was purposely FOR trunk rattles.
Yep. Where I worked, we got requests to screw sheet metal inside the trunk lid... Lol

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
LOL - intentionally adding rattles is a good one for sure.

Even worse - the folks who insist on 8 sets of marine speakers and/or PA horns mounted in the grill and under the car, so that you can hear them coming hundreds of yards away.

There may be a lot of obnoxious, distorted, bass-heavy systems on the road but nothing is more annoying than high-pitched gangsta rap projected down the street at 110 db.

Motorcycles are almost as bad, but at least that is somewhat understandable compared to the noise of the bike itself.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
One guy at the local audio shop told me he didn't like german speakers. I said; okeey... and why is that? He answered, if you listen to them you'll hear that the music will have that distinct german "pronunciation" to them...

Wow... That's a new one >.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm in awe of the last few posts with people intentionally making their trunks rattle. I guess it shouldn't be that much of a surprise, 99% of the youtube videos are of trunks rattling and excursion or "flexing" lol.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm in awe of the last few posts with people intentionally making their trunks rattle. I guess it shouldn't be that much of a surprise, 99% of the youtube videos are of trunks rattling and excursion or "flexing" lol.
Flexing is one thing, it's gotta be loud to flex... But rattles? Yeah, people are crazy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
One guy at the local audio shop told me he didn't like german speakers. I said; okeey... and why is that? He answered, if you listen to them you'll hear that the music will have that distinct german "pronunciation" to them...

Wow... That's a new one >.
Lmao!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've been told to keep my speaker wires the same lenghts. If the left side is longer, it wont fire the same time as the right. Cause you know that extra .0000002 seconds it takes to travel those extra few feet really makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
356 Posts
LOL - intentionally adding rattles is a good one for sure.

Even worse - the folks who insist on 8 sets of marine speakers and/or PA horns mounted in the grill and under the car, so that you can hear them coming hundreds of yards away.

There may be a lot of obnoxious, distorted, bass-heavy systems on the road but nothing is more annoying than high-pitched gangsta rap projected down the street at 110 db.

Motorcycles are almost as bad, but at least that is somewhat understandable compared to the noise of the bike itself.
There were two guys driving back and forth through the crowd this year at Texas Heat Wave in a Donk with a PA setup blaring. That is one of the most annoying things I have seen/heard in car audio.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Back when Good Guys was still around here in SoCal I went in to look at an Eclipse deck. I always like to ask stupid questions just to see what kind of response I would get. The young sales guy was talking about RMS vs Peak so I asked him what RMS stood for. He told me it was "Real Music Sound". "You know, none of that distortion and stuff".

Priceless!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
lol A guy I know told my friend that his subs where "catching too much air" because they where firing upwards towards his hatch... I found this hilarious because the guy is a great mechanic, he owns a ridiculously powerful boosted Civic, but apparently he doesn't know jack about audio.

This same guy chimed in when I was talking to my buddy about metering your system and stuff. I got to talking numbers and he says to us that his two JL Audio 13W7s and a JL 1000.1 hit 160dB...

These are the same W7s that blew his first prefab box apart, only to be replaced by another prefab box that sounded even worse. I knew the guy he bought the subs from and they sounded INCREDIBLE in a custom sealed box in a new Altima coupe.

41 - 60 of 3298 Posts