DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, was hoping y’all could help me figure out why my sub amp is going into protect. It’s a DD M3a powering a DC XL. I set the gains using my multi meter, it’s right at 54 volts at 90% volume but it goes into protect quite a bit, it seems to do it the most when I’m really slamming, and especially so when I’m unloading the fuck outta the sub for a demo (which i don’t do often).

I checked the resistance on the wires running to the sub and it’s only reading like 1.4 ohms, all the wires are tight and my other amp never goes into protect and my DSP hasn’t missed a beat.

Could a cooked voice coil or bad electrical cause this? I smelled some coil pretty bad the other day, but I’d think the ohm reading off the wires would be higher if that was the case. And i have a 240amp alternator but i think my battery is garbage, this truck was sitting before i bought it, the headlights dim pretty bad and the volt meter bounces around when I’m slammin. Those are the only 2 things i can think of.

Sorry for writing a novel i just wanted to put the problem into context. Thanks y’all.

Edit: took the sub out and the coils are fine. That leaves bad electrical or any ideas you guys have?

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
thanks for the chuckle....i love threads that start with ...I set my gains using a mm..but shit went wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the chuckle....i love threads that start with ...I set my gains using a mm..but shit went wrong.
Yeah if this is how it goes I’ll just go back to my how i did it as a teenager, gains at 3/4 and bass boost cranked 😂

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
contribute something useful or GTFO
Yeeeow... pretty strong response. Not sure if you're being serious or not.

When I read the thread title, the first thing that came to mind is: the voice coil has a short.
Not 100% that is the issue, but I had the same thing going-on some time back.
Any opportunity to borrow another sub, and test it with a different one?

·
Registered
747 Posts
It could very well be shutting off due to low voltage. The other amp might be fine with the low voltage. Also, is the idea to run the sub amp at 2 ohm load and it isn't stable at less ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts