DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago I had Morel Hybrid 602 minus the crossovers and Audio Dynamics ADMC33 mid range installed. Head unit is a Kenwood DDX9907XR. 3 Way speakers are powered by a Helix P6 processor/amp. Doors are well deadened. Sounds great!! To save money, and to get the front stage to my liking, I decided to wait on subs, sub amp, and custom box. In a month or two I will be ready to pull the trigger. I have decided on the JL Audio 10tw3. Dual 4 or 8 ohm. 2 subs.

My question is, what effect does running an amp at 1,2, or 4 Ohm load have on sound quality? I know the lower the Ohm load, the less efficient the amp is. Should I be concerned about a 1 Ohm load, if the amp is rated for that load? I understand that ohms change with frequency. Is a 2 to 4 Ohm load "better" for the amp, in general?

Sorry for the Noob question.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
The load should not have any real affect on sound quality, especially for a subwoofer. Running a low impedance usually causes the amp to produce more heat, but this is only a problem if the amp is built poorly. If an amp is rated at 1 ohm, and is a decent quality amp, you should be able to run it at 1ohm all day without issue. The sub channel on my 5 channel is stable at 2 ohms, so that's where I run it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The load should not have any real affect on sound quality, especially for a subwoofer. Running a low impedance usually causes the amp to produce more heat, but this is only a problem if the amp is built poorly. If an amp is rated at 1 ohm, and is a decent quality amp, you should be able to run it at 1ohm all day without issue. The sub channel on my 5 channel is stable at 2 ohms, so that's where I run it.
Thank you for your reply. Looking at an Audio Dynamics amp. Either ADMK600.1 or ADK1500.1. Anyone have any thoughts on these amps?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Looking at an Audio Dynamics amp. Either ADMK600.1 or ADK1500.1. Anyone have any thoughts on these amps?
The ADP and ADMP series amps are designed by or with the help of Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio, which lends a huge amount of credibility, but they have an APEC (average power enhancement circuit) circuit that is a fancy name for a compression circuit, which removes some credibility. I know one person who is building a system using these, but it isn't done yet so no listening experience whatsoever.
Regarding the ADK or ADMK series, I know nothing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the little I can find out about them, I was thinking that I read they did away with the APEC on most of the new amps? Guess I'll save a few dollars and give the 600.1 a try. Can always sell and replace it if it doesn't work out for me.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
From the little I can find out about them, I was thinking that I read they did away with the APEC on most of the new amps? Guess I'll save a few dollars and give the 600.1 a try. Can always sell and replace it if it doesn't work out for me.

Thanks for your reply.
Look for Hexibase on Youtube, he works at AD. Just watch this, it's pretty impressive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts