DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happen when a single voice coil sub which is rated 900W @ 4ohm (RMS) and 1800W @ 4ohm max, powered by 800W X 1 @ 4 ohm amp ?

I know that the amp is a little underpower (100W less), but is this little underpower will affect the sub performance when it is asked to play low notes in SQ application ? Distortion ?

Note that this is strictly for SQ, no SPL. And this sub is also SQ type of sub

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
There is no minimum amount of power for a speaker. It's only a limitation on how much output you can get out of it.

If the sub gets loud enough now, you don't need any more power. Just because a speaker can thermally or mechanically handle a given amount of power, does not mean you need to feed it that amount or that it will get louder with more power. With music, you won't be giving the sub anywhere near it's power rating anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, is this mean that under powering a sub with a short of 100W underpower won't affect sub's performance in SQ application (for a given 800W amp with 900W RMS sub) ? and yeah, this is for in-car listening, not going to let neighbours to listen to this sub

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes. You can give it 50wrms and be fine, desired output might not be there in that case when compared to 800wrms.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
RMS ratings tell you how much power the voice coil can handle without melting.

There is no corresponding power level NEEDED to play the woofer. It's not that you need 200%, and you don't even need 50% - AS A RULE.

There are speakers - both drivers and systems with passive crossover filters - which need a certain amount of power just to sound "right"- but this is never calculated, it's determined empirically (i.e., by listening).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i forgot to tell, this sub's sensitivity is rated at 91dB, so using a little underpower amp still can get it 'quite loud' isn't it ? still in SQ application

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
i forgot to tell, this sub's sensitivity is rated at 91dB, so using a little underpower amp still can get it 'quite loud' isn't it ? still in SQ application
Doesn't help much, sorry. The 1W 1M OP at 1K doesn't help the way you would like. For one, doesn't address what that 91dB sounds like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts