DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together something SQ, shallow and lightweight.

I was thinking about using the ARC 4.125 and 4x 6.5-10" shallow subs.

4 10" Tang Bands would be a total of 25# and mount in about 4-6" of space.
Maybe the Morel Elate 10s, 19#

Any thoughts?

Or, just use an ARC 500.1 with a couple Diamond Audio HEX or Memphis S Class 10s? Around 19# and slightly smaller space.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You know you can wire multiple subs to one amplifier right? Why do you think it would matter if you used a 4ch versus a mono? Personally I was just use the mono and no trying to have to match sensitivities between the channels of a 4ch IMO

Which subs you pick should determine the amp....one step at a time is my advice

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm starting from the amp because it weighs 5 lbs.

Looks like "a couple Diamond Audio HEX or Memphis S Class 10s", just trying to brainstorm.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Fair enought, but then why are your trying to decided between a 4ch and a mono? If you are trying to save weight so much....why are you going with multiple subs? It doesnt make any sense to me :confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 125.4 is only 70 per channel at 4 ohms.
Well damn, ok, ARC 500.1 and 2 10" HEXs at 150 rms.

The Morel Elate 10s look nice at around 3.7 lbs, 200 rms.

This is my second install. I went overboard on my first and the weight just got out of hand. Still a lot to learn.

I'm looking for best SQ and sound level for the weight in an 07 Mustang. I'm trying to stay in the $1500-$2000 range for the whole system. Subs and front comps, maybe adding an 8" midrange.

Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
A 12 or a 15 can sound just as good. Look for a low distortion driver.

If you want to conserve weight, use a larger driver (12-15 inch) with low distortion, high xmax and a lightweight (perhaps neo?) motor.

You havent mentioned which vehicle it would be going in, but doing an infinite baffle sub setup will save you some weight and space by using the trunk as the enclosure. Check out the Acoustic Elegance IB12 and IB15 subs. VERY lightweight and have gotten very nice reviews.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I like the sound of 2 10s, the array was just a thought, and the tangs are 120 rms which matched nice to the 4.125.

This caught my attention:
YouTube - Tang Band 6.5" subs workin it...Part 3

If I really wanted to save weight I ditch the whole stereo, but what fun would that be.
All those videos are with those subs running off my old PPI DCX 600.4 so each of those subs was getting 75RMS. That small ARC 4chan would do just fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can you get the Hex 10s in a configuration that will allow a 2 ohm load so you can get 500 Watts?
The HEX are 150 rms @ 4ohm and the ARC 500.1 is 310 @4 ohm. I should be able to run this?

You havent mentioned which vehicle it would be going in, but doing an infinite baffle sub setup will save you some weight and space by using the trunk as the enclosure. Check out the Acoustic Elegance IB12 and IB15 subs. VERY lightweight and have gotten very nice reviews.
This will be in a 07 Mustang. The Acoustic Elegance IB12 looks like a deep mount. I'm wanting to stay in the 2-4" range. I'd like to mount the subs on the rear deck like the JL 350 Mustang:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/news/caep_0808_2006_jl_350_ford_mustang/index.html

Do you think an infinite baffle would be better? I'm trying to retain most of the use of my trunk as well.

All those videos are with those subs running off my old PPI DCX 600.4 so each of those subs was getting 75RMS. That small ARC 4chan would do just fine.
That rocks. How is the SQ? Better than 2 10s? Thats about 26" of surface. What the mount depth and weight?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The weight on the Tang Bands is practically nothing since they are neo magnets. Great little drivers with a great sound. I doub't you'd be disappointed with the sound. If you port them it should be even better :)

<---Working on a ported setup.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
This will be in a 07 Mustang. The Acoustic Elegance IB12 looks like a deep mount. I'm wanting to stay in the 2-4" range. I'd like to mount the subs on the rear deck like the JL 350 Mustang:
I'd like a new Ferrari for $20k too but you have to realize that you can't have it all. I assume you're trying to build a race car since you're all about weight savings. IMO, your best bet is just to make the subs and amps easily removable so you can ditch the extra weight when going to the track. Otherwise, you're going to have to compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
... you have to realize that you can't have it all ...
I'm looking for the best bang for the weight.

I originally planned on using JL HD amps. I'm may be heading back in that direction.

3x Morel Elate SW 10s using the JL HD650 is the flavor of the minute for me. Around 20 lbs total, but its late and I'm tired.

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
ARC Audio built a demo GT500 and they put the woofers IB against the seat with great results. They powered the whole car off of a 900.6 and it ROCKED! Similar power to your situation so with the right woofer choice you should be good to go. More pictures are available on their site.

Cheers
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd go with the 500.1 and then add a 125.4. We're talking about 5lbs here. To even make a measurable difference in performance it would have to weigh considerably more.

You might be able to shave some weight using some alternative materials like carbon fiber or baltic birch (sp?).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.