DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my setup consists of 2 12-inch subs, 4 600w speakers and a 4000w amp. My problem is the kick in my car tends to sound too boomy, and drowns in most of the other elements of the song like the bassline and the synth. Whenever there is a bassline alone it sounds smooth and pleasing but as soon as the kick comes in everything sounds mushed and drowned.
How do i get that punchy tight kick and less of a vibrating boom? I tried setting my low pass filter to 80hz as recommended by many but it only makes it worse and I think it sounds better if i keep it at ~150hz.
Speakers are high passed at ~250hz and i can't go any lower without them getting stressed out and distorted.
Any tips? Thank you!

·
Registered
562 Posts
panel resonance? All metal surfaces need treated in a loud system. DSP? this is needed to get bass and midbass integrated better. Sealed or Ported? Ported always seemed a little more boomy to me.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Have you measured the response? Even a sharp peak in response can give it a boomy sound.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I tried setting my low pass filter to 80hz as recommended by many but it only makes it worse and I think it sounds better if i keep it at ~150hz.
Speakers are high passed at ~250hz and i can't go any lower without them getting stressed out and distorted.
Your issue is you have no midbass and are relying on your subs to play far too high. You have a gap in frequency response from 150hz to 250hz. This will make the bottom end sound bloated with no transition to your midrange. If you can get a full system frequency response measurement, that will identify where your issues are.

Josh

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
It obviously doesn’t sound better as the subs aren’t designed to play midbass, put that crossover down to 60-80 and then work on mountings for speakers, deadener and generally helping the speakers that are meant to play midbass actually make some midbass ??

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yes...all the above. Also turn off bass boost if on and cut 40-50 hz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts