DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 simple and straight forward questions.

I have a set of 750rms 10 inch subs
Planet audio AC10D

And a set of 12 inch 250rms subs
sony xplod xsl1235

I am after making or buying a sub box that will provide alot of punch for kick drums in like rock or edm music, like feel the drum in your chest kinda punch, should I go, sealed, or ported, and should I use high wattage 10s or lower wattage 12s?

And if I go ported, what frequency should I aim to tune for?

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
hmmmmmmm.......

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Registered
20 Posts
ya well hmmm more info for me to give any help/advice .. the chest slam can be made by both of them - but can be issued with a system, most -often is the tunning ... mid-bass not working together, or is missing simply because the midbass (6x9 for example) is out of phase with the subwoofer or is wrong cross-over points, cars trunks can block that lower midrange freqz (aka eq it higher) .. more info is need...... but a set rule is movement/size of speaker = bigger hit. power requirements mean very little to speaker sound (i would use sony but an infinity kappa would be amazingly better)

·
Premium Member
6,661 Posts
Like a Phoenix, the Kuntz hath returned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya well hmmm more info for me to give any help/advice .. the chest slam can be made by both of them - but can be issued with a system, most -often is the tunning ... mid-bass not working together, or is missing simply because the midbass (6x9 for example) is out of phase with the subwoofer or is wrong cross-over points, cars trunks can block that lower midrange freqz (aka eq it higher) .. more info is need...... but a set rule is movement/size of speaker = bigger hit. power requirements mean very little to speaker sound (i would use sony but an infinity kappa would be amazingly better)
What info should I provide exactly, I don't have much as rn, I'm starting on a stick system with just an aftermarket jvc radio. Also, I have been thinking about getting JBL Stage or club series 12, I like their sound, I can assume that would be wise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What info should I provide exactly, I don't have much as rn, I'm starting on a stick system with just an aftermarket jvc radio. Also, I have been thinking about getting JBL Stage or club series 12, I like their sound, I can assume that would be wise
Subs are the hardest part for me, I already have a set of JBL door speakers selected, as well I plan to sound deaden the car, I bought alot of it. Im just asking if I can get the result I'm after, without needing to buy another set of subs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 simple and straight forward questions.

I have a set of 750rms 10 inch subs
Planet audio AC10D

And a set of 12 inch 250rms subs
sony xplod xsl1235

I am after making or buying a sub box that will provide alot of punch for kick drums in like rock or edm music, like feel the drum in your chest kinda punch, should I go, sealed, or ported, and should I use high wattage 10s or lower wattage 12s?

And if I go ported, what frequency should I aim to tune for?
Okay, an update, to help out, atm I am seeking my current car, so I will be a fresh slate with my next, I have a bunch of sound deadener I bought some time back, was gonna put into this car, never did, but, with the new car, I plan to purchase a JVC Kw-430 radio, I love the radio. I also have a set of Kicker 47KSS6804 I plan to get, aswell as a good JBL amp (I like JBL/Harmon/infinity) at the current moment I have a pair of planet audio ac10Ds and Sony Xplods as mentioed before, the biggest issue for me, is I'm after a specific, higher quality sound and a thumpy bass, but I'm asking for opinions and it advise to that I do not have to make any unnecessary purchases

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry, you right, .. well i love Harman speakers .. at the store (audio stores) where they have a speaker rack setup for comparing different speakers - for cheep the Jbl clubs were my pick for the front door (6.5ich) .. but the infinity has much better Hi's (tweeters) , bass-lowdown on Harman's brands they use the same driver most often for the woofer's and the tweeters depend on what kinda tweet you like (silk dome / metal-type?) i see this every time, infinity ref's have a silk-dome tweeter and have the same cone/magnet as the JBL cubs - while Clubs have a plastic tweet,,, the Stage has a metal dome tweet like the Kappas but don't get the fiberglass cone ... what sounds best -- infinity kappas to my ears in both midrange and most recently the subwoofers - JBL only uses the reference modeled subwoofer and sounds little difference to the infinity reference slim subwoofer's - but 2x size deep ... ..

my suggestion - if you're not going to amp your main system *(4x speakers) use the Clubs "there 3ohms and will let you push an aftermarket deck for volume .. for subwoofer - you would be a fool to buy a JBL at the moment - infinity kappa's are at an all-time low/surplus on Amazone - just over 100$ (best sounding sub if your sq ) and have that selector switch to go 4ohms or 2 ohms- its vary handy- if its a buy cheap upgrade later deal ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry, you right, .. well i love Harman speakers .. at the store (audio stores) where they have a speaker rack setup for comparing different speakers - for cheep the Jbl clubs were my pick for the front door (6.5ich) .. but the infinity has much better Hi's (tweeters) , bass-lowdown on Harman's brands they use the same driver most often for the woofer's and the tweeters depend on what kinda tweet you like (silk dome / metal-type?) i see this every time, infinity ref's have a silk-dome tweeter and have the same cone/magnet as the JBL cubs - while Clubs have a plastic tweet,,, the Stage has a metal dome tweet like the Kappas but don't get the fiberglass cone ... what sounds best -- infinity kappas to my ears in both midrange and most recently the subwoofers - JBL only uses the reference modeled subwoofer and sounds little difference to the infinity reference slim subwoofer's - but 2x size deep ... ..

my suggestion - if you're not going to amp your main system *(4x speakers) use the Clubs "there 3ohms and will let you push an aftermarket deck for volume .. for subwoofer - you would be a fool to buy a JBL at the moment - infinity kappa's are at an all-time low/surplus on Amazone - just over 100$ (best sounding sub if your sq ) and have that selector switch to go 4ohms or 2 ohms- its vary handy- if its a buy cheap upgrade later deal ..
I do plan to try and amp my speakers, I'm getting a dsp and all, and the fact you brought up kappa subs really helped, I had no idea they were on sale actually, but the questions still in the air If I want to go ported or not... :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Subs are the hardest thing to understand, cause I've f*cked it's up too much before, I mean hell, my first sub box, younger me got tht 2 planet audio subs, rated for 2 cuft airspace, I went, and custom built a 4 cu ft box, I read later on that was stupid :l I can kinda tell now, as they have no punch at all. However on a side note, if you like headache levels of bass in a rap song, it sounds great xD but I kinda asked my question like I was stupid, cause, I don't want to f*ck up and spent 250$ on another system, that, isn't what I wanted.

On another note, I've done some thinking, and I'm probably gonna go either a set of kickers top models or a club/ stage pair of jbls, on 4 channel JBL amp, and a Dayton audio 408 dsp. And now that you mentioned it, a set of 2 10 inch kappas, but I still, kinda have trouble with box planning, experience beats research, that's why I'm here :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Subs are the hardest thing to understand, cause I've f*cked it's up too much before, I mean hell, my first sub box, younger me got tht 2 planet audio subs, rated for 2 cuft airspace, I went, and custom built a 4 cu ft box, I read later on that was stupid :l I can kinda tell now, as they have no punch at all. However on a side note, if you like headache levels of bass in a rap song, it sounds great xD but I kinda asked my question like I was stupid, cause, I don't want to f*ck up and spent 250$ on another system, that, isn't what I wanted.

On another note, I've done some thinking, and I'm probably gonna go either a set of kickers top models or a club/ stage pair of jbls, on 4 channel JBL amp, and a Dayton audio 408 dsp. And now that you mentioned it, a set of 2 10 inch kappas, but I still, kinda have trouble with box planning, experience beats research, that's why I'm here :)

well infinity/JBL (Harman) always have specs for their products and I'm an Sq person, i don't care about how loud it is(output volume) - if it's not loud enough i would get 2, or 3. but it must sound like your sitting there in front of the band listening live 1st, boom 2ed with EQ if desired -so I go enclosed - ported has a wash-out sound to me. a good starting point on what direction you should go is to 1st figure out where your installed speakers(midrange/midbass) high pass will target (its different for every setup in my appearance - and the response khz on the box means diddlysquat ... (like if you went for 6.5ich JBL clubs coaxal <i currently use> (response at 50hz on the box ) at 50hz crossover they are horrible when they are loud, i do a 12db-high pass at 120 so i can get max volume without distortion, while my 5x7 ds18's are hi-passed at 70hz and even set for "full-range" with-out worry <built in bass-blocker/crossover's on a coaxal> that let me cross my subwoofer lower-achieving more midbass and chest thump (i also use bandbass- to make them midrange speakers)<to make a 3 or 4-way setup? ..

to the point - if your system can sound good with a 70hz or lower high pass - i would go enclosed - if it can sound good below midbass point- go Portted (get more output at midbass freqz) -- or what will fit in your space that you have set-a-side and i would use the factory specs on whatever you do - you will get a great sounding subwoofer,

rember to add displacement to box figures (1.1 sft for 12ich exscample ) https://www.infinityspeakers.com/on... - Kappa800w-1000w-1200w (Multi language).pdf

·
Registered
20 Posts
well infinity/JBL (Harman) always have specs for their products and I'm an Sq person, i don't care about how loud it is(output volume) - if it's not loud enough i would get 2, or 3. but it must sound like your sitting there in front of the band listening live 1st, boom 2ed with EQ if desired -so I go enclosed - ported has a wash-out sound to me. a good starting point on what direction you should go is to 1st figure out where your installed speakers(midrange/midbass) high pass will target (its different for every setup in my appearance - and the response khz on the box means diddlysquat ... (like if you went for 6.5ich JBL clubs coaxal <i currently use> (response at 50hz on the box ) at 50hz crossover they are horrible when they are loud, i do a 12db-high pass at 120 so i can get max volume without distortion, while my 5x7 ds18's are hi-passed at 70hz and even set for "full-range" with-out worry <built in bass-blocker/crossover's on a coaxal> that let me cross my subwoofer lower-achieving more midbass and chest thump (i also use bandbass- to make them midrange speakers)<to make a 3 or 4-way setup? ..

to the point - if your system can sound good with a 70hz or lower high pass - i would go enclosed - if it can sound good below midbass point- go Portted (get more output at midbass freqz) -- or what will fit in your space that you have set-a-side and i would use the factory specs on whatever you do - you will get a great sounding subwoofer,

rember to add displacement to box figures (1.1 sft for 12ich exscample ) https://www.infinityspeakers.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw145ff4d1/pdfs/Owners Manual - Kappa800w-1000w-1200w (Multi language).pdf

to do best boxes (my opinion only most/some wont agree, and i respect their opinion that it can be done better in other ways ) - for 2 subwoofers "enclosed"- you want 2 independent air zones // for example - 12-ich kappa need 1sqf for space, and your making a box for 2 - i would make a 2 qsf box and a wall in the center = 2 independent boxes

i would just make 2 separate boxes for portability and easy removal = i would aim 1 at the backseat - 1 at the back-bumper and 180 faze (+/- backward on 1 sub) .. if you want to have it loud as possable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts