DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does a sealed sub box that is to small affect the sound? The reason I ask is the two 12w6's I have in my Tahoe sound "boomy" and I am wondering if my small box is the reason. They sound great for kick drums but whenever I play dubstep it is just this boomy bass with little detail. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would the fact that I have them firing backwards off the glass have something to do with it maybe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are a lot of factors that can effect the sound wave formation and how you hear it. Since you have a Tahoe, why do you have the subs in a box that is too small? I'm sure you could give up a bit more room to get a better box in there :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a lot of factors that can effect the sound wave formation and how you hear it. Since you have a Tahoe, why do you have the subs in a box that is too small? I'm sure you could give up a bit more room to get a better box in there :)
lol true that. Im just trying to stop throwing as much money at my build and had it laying around =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
why dont you just build a box. $50 and some time = done. it will sound better and can build to manufactures specs. And have you thought about porting? best all around sound when done right.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why dont you just build a box. $50 and some time = done. it will sound better and can build to manufactures specs. And have you thought about porting? best all around sound when done right.
I would if I had the tools. I am a network tech by trade so I have most of the stuff I need for electrical work. I just don't have anything for working with wood. I might just bite the bullet and get someone to build me one =)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ported is a good idea. Personally I love ported boxes, and I wish I was going to be able to do one in my truck now, but I just don't have the room to make the box big enough.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do ported boxes still sound ok for rock? I have always had sealed just because I listen to such a wide range of music and was under the impression that they are more accurate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sealed are more forgiving. They don't need to be the perfect size to sound good. They also have less of a roll off on the bottom end.

Ported (when tuned properly) can sound great, and they are inherently louder that seald at or above the tuning frequency - meaning by changing only your box (from sealed to ported) and keeping all other faactors the same (subs, amp, settings), the ported box will be noticably louder. Once you go below the tuning frequency they do have a steeper roll off, and you lose control of the sub. That is why it's good to set your subsonic at your port tuning frequency (or just a hair below if you want).

That being said, a good tuned box will sound fantastic for all types of music. I've had several ported boxes, and they all sounded great wether I listened to rock, rap, or whatever.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks for the help man!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ported, if built well & tuned around 30hz will sound great. Sealed (at the correct size...see below) will also sound great.

I've tried my 12w6v2's in 1cuft each, 1.25 each & 1.5 each (all sealed). They were pretty boomy and lost that low end in the 1cuft each. They sounded muddy. The best is easily the 1.5cuft/sub. BuickGN on here has done the same thing and he found out that 1.5 sounded the best also...I believe several others have too

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ported, if built well & tuned around 30hz will sound great. Sealed (at the correct size...see below) will also sound great.

I've tried my 12w6v2's in 1cuft each, 1.25 each & 1.5 each (all sealed). They were pretty boomy and lost that low end in the 1cuft each. They sounded muddy. The best is easily the 1.5cuft/sub. BuickGN on here has done the same thing and he found out that 1.5 sounded the best also...I believe several others have too
1.5 sealed or ported? Im assuming sealed correct?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you make the box volume according to the driver's requirement? Did you use the reputable sub boxes software to design it?

When you know that the boxes volume is too small, put the glasswool in it for increasing the volume.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Yup. They were all run sealed. I've ran and heard plenty of low-tuned ported boxes and they can sound amazing also. JL specs seem to be a little small for sealed (and I'd assume ported). Can I ask what you're powering them with?? Also..what's your front stage look like?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate T10001. (~1200 watts RMS) My front stage is the Vifa XT25's (4ohm) off of a SS Class A 6.0 and HAT L6 also running off a SS 6.0. I have a set of Boston Acoustic 6.5 that I am considering running for my rear doors as coaxils and a SS Reference 700s or Reference 300 to push them with.

·
Registered
834 Posts
yeah, likely that box if your front stage is sufficient like it is. try the 1.5cuft sealed box! I've actually got one sitting in my living room that I'm not using...to bad you're not it Oklahoma. I guess Austin isn't "too" far to ship lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I actually saw your thread about it. I usually drive through there during the winter to go snowboarding but I think I will fly this year since I can actually afford it now

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good deal. I am actually going to swing by the local custom shop after I get out of work and see how bad they want to bleed me to build a custom one to match my interior. If they are asking to much as I expect I might try and talk you into shipping =)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts