DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm starting to look at rebuilding my sub box setup. My current install is 3/4inch MDF and weighs 60kg (130 pounds) with the gear and amps. I have 2 12inch Soundstream Picasso SVC's which need 2 cubic feet each so a reasonably sized box. I have no problems with the subs at all so I would prefer to keep them.

I've been looking at options for a rebuild and I guess saving weight is my main priority, but I obviously don't want it to be / sound rubbish in the end. I went to a local fibreglass shop and he showed me a board of dense foam which was reinforced with fibreglass. It seemed fairly rigid and weighed absolutely nothing.

I imagine it was something like this:
dctech. com. au/brands/kemlite.php

And here is an acoustic product by the same company:
dctech. com. au/brands/immotus.php

I'm just wondering what properties are required for effective SQ because I was really impressed by how light this stuff was. I have bugger all technical knowledge of car audio and was just wondering peoples thoughts / options.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you take a look through the build logs, you'll see that there are many ways to create a sub box with a wide variety of materials.

I'd argue that if the box is airtight and relatively non-resonant, you're probably OK... this is why most use MDF. It's a simple solution.

The stuff you pointed out on the website will probably work well, but you'll need to brace the enclosure extensively to keep resonances down. And find some way to make it airtight...

Take a look through simplicityinsound's build logs for an idea of where to go...

Good luck... keep us in the loop when you start!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oak or Birch is lighter and stiffer but not dense so it is lighter then MDF but the price is :D.

Why I went IB, as having subs and a box add to much weight when I can go IB and get more SQ, output and for half the weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gunner. Is there any way to know what the resonance will be like or to easy fixes if it turns out to be the problem after its built? I did plan on putting some sort of sealer around all the edges/corners on the inside to sound proof it a bit.

If I built it and it has resonance problems, would just slapping a dynamat/sound proofing mat on it cut that down a bit? I know they add a bit of weight but I'm hoping I wont need it.

Nick, I didn't really get your post. Are you saying the price of mdf is the reason a lot of people use it? And what is IB?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes that is true and it is easier to work with. If I had the money and tools, I would do oak or some really good hard wood. IB is Infinite baffle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awww man, tried to post and it said I was spam and deleted it.

Through doing some research I got suggested birch but no one was able to supply it that I could find. Not in small quantities anyway.

And I've made a heap of MDF boxes because it is easy, but have no idea about fibreglass or any other material which is why I'm here.

IB = sealed box? That was my plan, or maybe with a port between the two sealed boxes for each sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts