DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am trying to find a solution to mounting a sub in my miata, as you can imagine there isn't a whole lot of space to be had.... so i am wondering if anyone here has any exp with slimline subs... my local audio shop is trying to get me to pick up the 10in shallow Memphis audio sub that that is over $200 so i'm curious if anyone else has them and can recommend me any... also how much well say oomph difference is there between similarly powered 8in and 10in subs.. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know very little about the shallow mounts but I am working on a system for a convertible RX7. Although, for me, I dont think the shallow mounts will provide the output that I require, I have done a good bit of research on the Stereo Integrity MagV4 and SI also offers whats called the BM 12. Its a shallow mount and I think that it is very well made and goes for around $150 shipped. I have not heard it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it an issue of the power they require or is it that shallow mounts done have as deep of a sound to them?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Keep in mind that I have NOT heard any shallow mount subs. I am very tight on space but I CAN fit full size subs in my vert. I would think that you are in fact losing something with a shallow mount since it is so much smaller and since you will have to overcome road noise you may try to figure out how to get creative and use one SI MagV4 or something similar.

·
Registered
404 Posts
so i am trying to find a solution to mounting a sub in my miata, as you can imagine there isn't a whole lot of space to be had.... so i am wondering if anyone here has any exp with slimline subs... my local audio shop is trying to get me to pick up the 10in shallow Memphis audio sub that that is over $200 so i'm curious if anyone else has them and can recommend me any... also how much well say oomph difference is there between similarly powered 8in and 10in subs.. :)
It would be useful to know some of your system details and your listening preferences. First off, what are the exact measurements you are willing to devote to your sub, what will power it, do you have decent midbass, are you looking for loud or more moderate volume, what kind of music, etc?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I will give as much info as I can. I have a mazda miata 1990 with a roll bar so space is somewhat limited.

HU - I can't remember the model number but it's a kenwood. I thinks it's one of the newer models with bluetooth built in and a front USB port for iPod

I'm putting 2 arc audio components in the door. I think there are 6000 or 6002's

I have 2 arc audio foose 2100fd's for my amps so 50 watts @ 4 ohms to components and [email protected] for sub. It's rates at 12v so it maybe more rms then that in the end

I will be mounting the amps in the trunk with probably a powercell.

I have 3 choices for sub mounting.
1. Upwards fireing in trunk either near passenger seat or drivers side tail light
2. I have a shelf behind the seats space availabe 5in tall, 28in wide, 12in depth. So I can put the sub there fireing up or down

I listen I most all music but mostly anything beat driven. So I guess club, hip-hop, pop music, though I do also listen to alot of synth pop and darkwave. I drive with the hard top on 70% of the time but when I do drive with soft top I'd like to be able to hear it.

Let me know if I am missing any pert info :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ok I will give as much info as I can. I have a mazda miata 1990 with a roll bar so space is somewhat limited.

HU - I can't remember the model number but it's a kenwood. I thinks it's one of the newer models with bluetooth built in and a front USB port for iPod

I'm putting 2 arc audio components in the door. I think there are 6000 or 6002's

I have 2 arc audio foose 2100fd's for my amps so 50 watts @ 4 ohms to components and [email protected] for sub. It's rates at 12v so it maybe more rms then that in the end

I will be mounting the amps in the trunk with probably a powercell.

I have 3 choices for sub mounting.
1. Upwards fireing in trunk either near passenger seat or drivers side tail light
2. I have a shelf behind the seats space availabe 5in tall, 28in wide, 12in depth. So I can put the sub there fireing up or down

I listen I most all music but mostly anything beat driven. So I guess club, hip-hop, pop music, though I do also listen to alot of synth pop and darkwave. I drive with the hard top on 70% of the time but when I do drive with soft top I'd like to be able to hear it.

Let me know if I am missing any pert info :)
Good update.:) That '5inch tall' parameter on the shelf is somewhat limiting so what space/measurements are you willing to give up in the trunk? Perhaps adjust the plan to move the amps to the shelf. Also that 190 watts into 4ohms may be limiting for the combination of small box and decent output and depth for your music taste. Maybe consider bridging the two amps for 190 to each of your comps and picking up a more appropriate sub amp for around a $100 or so. Also, don't forget to deaden your doors and carefully select tweeter placement.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've talked to someone before that put a nice aftermarket sub in a Bazooka tube enclosure and said that it sounded very good. Maybe you could do that and just have your woofer installed sideways in that space that you have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem about putting the amps on the shelf is thieves, i own a miata it's not exactly the fort Knox of security :( as far as putting 3.. i don't think it will fit.. i guess i could try to sell one of these amps and get the FD2200 that puts out 360watts.. or just sell both of em and get a PDX 150.2 and 600.1.. but i hear those are power hogs compared to the Arc Audios

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also about the shelf, that 5 in tall wouldn't be too big an issue if i went with a shallow mount as they are only 4 - 4 1/2 in tall.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oh, i missed the 5" tall figure. NO GO on the bazooka tube.

·
Registered
404 Posts
also about the shelf, that 5 in tall wouldn't be too big an issue if i went with a shallow mount as they are only 4 - 4 1/2 in tall.
But say if you had a box made of 3/4 MDF the depth would be 5 - 1.5 = 3.5" x 26" x 10.5" = .55 cu ft so doable. But do you have space for surface mount of sub plus excursion?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm waiting for Stereo Integrity's BM12. 3.5" depth and only needs 0.5 cu ft, has a proper low-distortion motor. I don't know if you can squeeze a 12", and I believe they will be dual 4-ohm coils so I don't know if your arc can bridge into 2 ohms.

·
Registered
997 Posts
4th order BP sub in the trunk that vents through a hole (or two) in the parcel shelf might work well. It will certainly give you more output than any of the shallow-mount subs. It will certainly be a bit more stealthy and a bit more difficult to steal :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts