DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looking for some help on sub options for my extended cab Tacoma.
Currently running Aura MR 6.5 comps up front.
Power available for sub or subs [email protected] or [email protected]

I recently built a sonotube ported enclosure for 1 8" type R at .7cube. After installing I felt it was not enough so now i am looking for opinions and options.

I like the way the tube fits and wouldn't mind building something similar but anything bigger than a 10" sub means I would have to build too big of a tube to be reasonable. The tubes are nice because i can strap them to the small seats and still get to the storage below and if needed can easily be moved if someone needs to ride back there. I would consider building a conventional box if needed or even 2 tubes one per side.

I also have a W10gti that has never been used but have read of a few that were not happy after building a small sealed enclosure. If anyone has personal experience with this sub feel free to let me know your results.
I could also look into using 2 of the 8" type R in either ported or sealed but from everything I have seen it seems that most favor going ported for these. I am not opposed to buying another sub if needed and I have the option of other Alpine subs at cost but unfortunately thats all we carry where I work but of coarse I could also buy something from somewhere else.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure going to a different 8" is the answer. I probably expected too much from one. The alpine does a good job but its the first 8 I have ever tried. In the past I have run single and double 10s and 12s and usually in bigger SUVs that had more room to spare.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That's what I was getting at, thou. You would be hard pressed to find another sub that can compete with the output of the Sundowns, in that small of a space. 1 Sundown will likely match the output of two of those Alpines, in the space 1 alpine occupies. I've seen some borderline unbelievable output from those SA-8's, under rear seats of pick-ups. Two of them, in the right enclosure, with adequate power, can easily put two mid level 10's to shame.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Cory-- Have you thought about running the W10gti with a passive radiator? I am looking at doing this. I have the W10gti and two TC OEM 10 Pr's that I will be doing in the spring. Just a thought. Might be the best balance of output and size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the JBL sealed in .75 and hated it. I also have a 10" Titanic I tried in a .75 sealed and it was ok. I have some AURA Force 10" sealed in .75 and 1 cube and they were ok as well.

I keep going back to the original 8" and find I like it more and more. I would like to try 2 ported in a slightly smaller box 1-1.2 cube or 2 separate .5-.6 boxes.

I am still looking for other options but would like to keep box under 1.2cube or 2 under .6 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts