DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post on here so I hope I'm posting this in the right section :D

I'm trying to design my first audio system for my Mercedes Vito and although I've tried researching on this topic I'm still a bit confused.

So I'm planning to possibly cut a hole in the bulkhead and build a sealed enclosure for a sub (maybe Hertz Mille pro 12 inch) which will integrate into the van racking I have against the bulkhead. What I'm wondering though is if I put the subwoofer where the red circle is on the attached photo, will it be too close to peoples heads in the vehicle and be an unpleasant listening experience? If it is I'm open to any suggestions for where the sub could go to alleviate this issue.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Window Automotive lighting Comfort

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bass is hard to pinpoint location wise, so it'd make more sense to mount it lower down?
If it's hard to pinpoint location wise then would having it up high be ok? Thing is I've got racking in the back for tools so I'd have to change alot more to have it lower down than up high. My only worry was that the sub would be right next to my ears in the cab.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Certainly might sound lop sided with it being so close to one ear. Can't fit some slim line units under the seat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly might sound lop sided with it being so close to one ear. Can't fit some slim line units under the seat?
I see i was a bit worried that would be the case. Sadly there's very little space under the passenger seat and the battery is housed under the drivers seat so I don't think there's much I could do there :(
If the sub was in the bulkhead but a bit lower down would that be the best option then would you say?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If the timing and levels are correct you shouldn’t be able to hear the sub as being anywhere when it’s playing below 80hz

·
Registered
150 Posts
Need to consider that placing the sub in the circled location makes visual that there is something possibly worth breaking into. I'd keep it out of view as much as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need to consider that placing the sub in the circled location makes visual that there is something possibly worth breaking into. I'd keep it out of view as much as possible.
Sad that this has to even be thought about but yes thats a very good point I didn't even think about. My van's already a target as it is a work van with tools etc so don't want it to be more of a target than it already is. Thanks for pointing that out (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, I’d be sound deadening the bulkhead and roof well
I've sound deadened the bulkhead and the rest of the front of the van and the difference that made was incredible! I can actually have a conversation inside without raising my voice now :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the timing and levels are correct you shouldn’t be able to hear the sub as being anywhere when it’s playing below 80hz
Interesting, so even with the sub down lower with seats in front of it the lower frequencies will still project around the whole cab properly?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Interesting, so even with the sub down lower with seats in front of it the lower frequencies will still project around the whole cab properly?
Seats won’t bother sub bass freqs… but… I can tell you that underneath the passenger front seat is likely the best place for the sub to reside, or as far over as you can get it in the bulkhead by the b-pillar… that would be preferential to the middle of the bulkhead 👍🏼

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seats won’t bother sub bass freqs… but… I can tell you that underneath the passenger front seat is likely the best place for the sub to reside, or as far over as you can get it in the bulkhead by the b-pillar… that would be preferential to the middle of the bulkhead 👍🏼
Ok I think gonna put it lower down behind the drivers seat by the B pillar then 👍 sorry to ask so many questions but how come putting the sub further to the side on the bulkhead would be better than the center?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ok I think gonna put it lower down behind the drivers seat by the B pillar then 👍 sorry to ask so many questions but how come putting the sub further to the side on the bulkhead would be better than the center?
Because of how standing waves form in the cabin 👍🏼 I’ve measured lots of vehicles with subs in various places and that’s normally the best measuring place… lee from platinum who got a mention built a partner van with two under seat subs… it only runs the passenger side one 😉

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because of how standing waves form in the cabin 👍🏼 I’ve measured lots of vehicles with subs in various places and that’s normally the best measuring place… lee from platinum who got a mention built a partner van with two under seat subs… it only runs the passenger side one 😉
I watched that video on that partner looks like a pretty amazing setup. Thanks for all the help and info I think I've finally got a plan now for what to do for my setup :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see i was a bit worried that would be the case. Sadly there's very little space under the passenger seat and the battery is housed under the drivers seat so I don't think there's much I could do there :(
If the sub was in the bulkhead but a bit lower down would that be the best option then would you say?
Put a barrier between your gonads and the battery under your seat. Lead lined. Then you could build a box sending the port opening much lower down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts