DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if those of you with a hatchback and a sub or subs in the hatch area, do you have yours mounted against a left or right wall, or in the dead center. I have mine on the driver's side and I have it pretty darn well blended with my midbasses. I definitely have up front bass unless it's some stupid hip hop song with boosted bass or something. But I've kind of noticed that it sounds like the bass is more on the driver's side, which would make sense because of where the sub is mounted in the hatch. I always figured bass wasn't all that directional, but IDK. I have however noticed a lot of the SQ competitors on here usually have symmetric sub setups (in the middle or 2 subs, one on either side, etc).

So does the position of a sub with reference to the centerline of the car matter?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Nope. Subs are just pressurizing your vehicle as the lengths of the sound wave are so long.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I understand that. Maybe with my setup it is more of a midbass-sub integration thing, where one midbass is integrating better/worse than the other, causing it to be pulled to one side. Very likely as I don't have separate L/R EQ.

·
Registered
485 Posts
most sub frequencies really dont use a left\right signal?
How high is your sub crossed over at?
I wouldnt think you would experience the above unless crossed over above 100 hz.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that subs don't use L/R signals, it's a single sub also, not stereo. I'm saying that on some stuff, it sounds as though the bass is coming from the left side of my dash. Thinking more about it, I believe it might be an issue with the sub integration with one of my midbasses being different than the other. I cross my sub at 80 right now with 24db/oct slope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts