DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a budget system for a family member

The amp we already have is an Audiopipe APSM-1300 [email protected] (ended up costing just under $100), I'm looking for a sub to pair with it in a Grand Prix. I'll be making a fiberglass box for the car and the sub I am looking at is a Pioneer TS-W2502D2 which is rated at 800w RMS 3000w peak so I assume the amp won't be too much for it and the ported enclosure size that's recommended is only .9 cu/ft which wouldn't be too intrusive. I was originally thinking we'd be putting in a 12 but that 10 seems ok and this doesn't have to be a slamming system by any means. I haven't had any experience with Pioneer subs but the box size & power requirements are appealing and being able to find them for around $100 also looks good but is it too good to be true? The amp is 1 ohm stable and I didn't think something I can wire to run at 1 ohm for the price we're looking for ($150 tops) would be able to handle the 1000w amp but this seems it will. Anybody with experience with Pioneer subs able to comment on their quality/durability? I'd really hate to buy something that is overrated and blows out in a month, then I'd feel like an ass for recommending that is what they should spend their $ on.

The sub doesn't have to be able to run at 1 ohm, that's just a bonus if this 10" I'm looking at isn't too good to be true. :D

If you have a better recommendation the amp also runs [email protected] and [email protected] and from what I've read the audiopipes are pretty true to their rating.

So what do ya think? will the 10 hold up or should I pass on it and look at something else? I was just about to commit to the Pioneer but decided to double check first, don't wanna regret the decision later.

edit* here are links to the amp that'll be used and the sub I'm looking at for reference

Audiopipe APSM-1300

Pioneer 10" DVC(2ohm) Champion Series

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well nobody said to not do it so I ordered up the Pioneer, I ordered a "Like new" one from Amazon warehouse deals which cost me $82.64 shipped. I assume somebody returned it cause their amp couldn't power it or something. Being "like new" maybe it was never even hooked up (let's hope) and they found something else they wanted instead so returned it. At basically $80 though, even if this Pioneer doesn't sound as good as other alternatives if I just chose to get a dual 4 ohm sub and run [email protected] it's surely going to get the job done for very little $.

Let's hope it holds up!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
sorry i wasnt active a week ago. ive never used pioneer anything so i cant really comment.

let us know how it sounds and holds up

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i wasnt active a week ago. ive never used pioneer anything so i cant really comment.

let us know how it sounds and holds up

would ya have told me to steer clear if you were here from others experience with Pioneer even though you haven't personally dealt with it? Either way a moot point now but still curious. For 80 bucks I'm not expecting a whole lot but the couple reviews at Amazon are both positive and people are more likely to post negative reviews so I'm guessing it's pretty decent for the price I paid since there is no negatives. I'm guessing it'll be months before I actually build the box, way too cold right now but when I do I'll post how it sounds for sure, even a pic or 2 of the end result

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'm sure its fine. I would have went with something else personally but not because I've heard bad things or anything. I know pioneer makes some high end decks so they can't be too bad at making subs

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the sub I received is new but something happened to the box. All of the hardware was still there unused in the plastic and the styrofoam molded to the sub was there as well but the actual pioneer box wasn't present. Maybe the box just got destroyed somehow but contents undamaged and that's why they sold it as "like new". I'm just guessing on that but I'm pretty convinced this thing is brand new, and I'm happy with the price I paid. I would have had to spend 50% more than I spent for a box that I'd put right in the recycle bin anyway. I could have went with a 4ohm DVC wired for 2 ohm for around $50 buying like new ones from the Amazon warehouse and in all honesty the amp would probably push that damn near as well as this one wired @ 1ohm. I still only spent $180 total for amp and sub, sure it isn't as nice as $150 but at least I can put the audiopipe amp to the test and also put the Pioneer sub to the test. It says it can handle 800wRMS, 3000 peak and the audiopipes from what I read are pretty true to their wattage so the sub will surely be pushed hard enough to see it's durability. I have no experience with either brand for amp/sub and if either of em blow up I won't really care since next to nothing was spent on em. If they work out we get an inexpensive setup, and if not replacing with something with a proven track record would be simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts