DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my audio install with just a 4 channel, 75W per channel Pioneer GM-D9500F amp, 6.5" Rockford Prime components in the doors and Rockford Prim 1693 in the rear deck. Found out I wanted more bass, because the speakers aren't doing it for me. Scored a deal on 2 JL 12w3's and a JL slash 500W mono. All of this is run off the stock stereo in my 05 Impala. All the sound is going into the Pioneer amp, and for the subs - passes through the amp to the JL amp.

The beat from the subs seems to be coming slightly late from when they should be in the song. Any suggestions on things to try? Is it something about the way I have it set up?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does you amp have output phase switch?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try running the signal from the JL to the Alpine and see if it makes a difference. Could be that you got a sketchy slash amp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try running the signal from the JL to the Alpine and see if it makes a difference. Could be that you got a sketchy slash amp.
I assume you mean have the signal from the stereo go to the JL first, and then to the Pioneer? So put the sub amp before the speakers amp?

What type of enclosure are your subs in....
It's in 1 box with 2 sealed chambers made of 3/4" MDF. I can't remember the exact measurements right now. But I think each chamber worked out to around 12"x14"x14" or something very similar.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Then make it "manually" - flip the wires around on your sub(s).
Meaning connect positive (speaker) wire from your amp to sub's negative post and negavite (speaker) wire from your amp to sub's positive post. This will give you same result as what phase switch on the amp does... i'm actually surprised JL doesn't have one as it's pretty common feature. Are you sure there isn't one??

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
unless you have a DSP that is delaying it through some kind of time alignment, that is really not possible.

if you do have a dsp, check the time alignment settings and make sure ALL your RCAs go through it. all DSP have a processing delay and if you dont run all your RCAs through it, you will see a delay on only some channels. (even so, you shouldnt be able to hear it. we are talking about milliseconds.)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Then make it "manually" - flip the wires around on your sub(s).
Meaning connect positive (speaker) wire from your amp to sub's negative post and negavite (speaker) wire from your amp to sub's positive post. This will give you same result as what phase switch on the amp does... i'm actually surprised JL doesn't have one as it's pretty common feature. Are you sure there isn't one??
This. If it's not 180deg out of phase, then you have to try to get them in phase other ways:
- adjust crossover slopes
- adjust time alignment
- move the box

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. I'll try all the suggestions listed and see if I get any changes.

The order in which the amps are 'cascaded' wouldn't really matter though, correct (speaker amp in line before sub amp or vice versa)?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I'll try all the suggestions listed and see if I get any changes.

The order in which the amps are 'cascaded' wouldn't really matter though, correct (speaker amp in line before sub amp or vice versa)?
not at all. electrical signals move at nearly the speed of light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts