DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
Make one. They are just blocks of wood with longer bolts.
Stack two 0.5 inch pieces of mdf. Cut it to shape. 馃挜 seat lift
These newer trucks seem more involved then just a regular lift. I thought my version was a pain, nope!

@RickWilson

Registered
I agree with you I can lift the seat but I think the issue is the seat back. It bolts to the back wall of the cab in fixed positions. Correct me if I鈥檓 wrong but I don鈥檛 think can lift the seat without lifting the back rest section.
Even if you move the seat back brackets you will lose the headrests as they are on a separate bracket that's already mounted directly under the rear glass and can't be moved up. It becomes and extremely complicated process to lift the 2020+ rear seats.

Ported will give you more box gain to optimize your output but 2.4 ported at around 30Hz (the lower the port tuning the more SQ oriented) you only net about 1.9 cuft airspace and finding 2 x 12 that will work in that airspace might be tough...

With that being said, you need to look for the maximum cone area you can fit in the box sizes you mentioned and also budget because with 2 cubic foot sealed and 6" mounting depth you might want to consider Morel Ultimo Titanium 12 but at $1200/Ea. that's a significant investment...

They make other versions of that sub that are around $1K/Ea as well.

Then there's the Primo for less than $400...

Focal has some new subs that I haven't heard yet but they would work... and they are getting close to the same price as the Dayton Reference HO that we've all tried.

But if you have a shortlist to compare (maybe 4-5 different subs) then we can model them in WinISD and see what you end up with in comparison to the current setup.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Even if you move the seat back brackets you will lose the headrests as they are on a separate bracket that's already mounted directly under the rear glass and can't be moved up. It becomes and extremely complicated process to lift the 2020+ rear seats.

Ported will give you more box gain to optimize your output but 2.4 ported at around 30Hz (the lower the port tuning the more SQ oriented) you only net about 1.9 cuft airspace and finding 2 x 12 that will work in that airspace might be tough...

With that being said, you need to look for the maximum cone area you can fit in the box sizes you mentioned and also budget because with 2 cubic foot sealed and 6" mounting depth you might want to consider Morel Ultimo Titanium 12 but at $1200/Ea. that's a significant investment...

Focal has some new subs that I haven't heard yet but they would work... and they are getting close to the same price as the Dayton Reference HO that we've all tried.

But if you have a shortlist to compare (maybe 4-5 different subs) then we can model them in WinISD and see what you end up with in comparison to the current setup.
I鈥檓 not ruling out taking the back seat back rest out and mounting an amp rack and amps on the back wall of cab.
Pros
I gain Cu Ft for sub enclosure
I will have more options for sub amps

Cons
To get to amps I have to disassemble the seat every time.

I鈥檒l work on my sub short list.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

How about 2 of these in a sealed 2-2.25ish cu ft enclosure to start.

Helmet Automotive tire Font Sports equipment Audio equipment

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Document

Registered

Registered
As another option I do have room to make a wedge enclosure and close the gap more in the front of seat and gain maybe .5 cu ft.

View attachment 348033
If that wedge shape gives you enough baffle to front fire 12s then that's an option that is definitely worth exploring...

Registered
After subtracting sub displacement and bracing 1.45 cu ft divided by 3 = .483 with poly fill.
Going to use 0.5 net per Sub to help model the polyfill... and just in case you didn't know that's 0.935 Qtc for the 10TW3 which is really high and limiting excursion on 850 Watts - in that enclosure WinISD is predicting it would take 2,250 Watts to reach xmax on those Subs. But even then you only gain +4.3dB at the limit which is equivalent to simply adding one more 10TW3 on equal power...

The 2 x 12 Morel SC on 1200 Watts is past xMax but not quite to xMech so it's doable but only gets you half way between the current install and what the current install is capable of on 2,250 Watts - so it's pretty much a wash and that's with pushing the Morels past xMax so you can expect some harmonic distortion.
Colorfulness Rectangle Product Slope Font

What's the maximum depth for 10's in the current sealed box?

Registered
If you can figure out how to get 7.5"-8.5" of mounting depth it's going to open up the High Excursion Subs - I've modeled another 5 or 6 of the 12" Subs that will fit in 6" Depth and none of them are capable of the SPL that 3 x 10 pushed to xmax can do...

Also what are the dimensions of that current box so I can mock up some ported enclosures?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If you can figure out how to get 7.5"-8.5" of mounting depth it's going to open up the High Excursion Subs - I've modeled another 5 or 6 of the 12" Subs that will fit in 6" Depth and none of them are capable of the SPL that 3 x 10 pushed to xmax can do...

Also what are the dimensions of that current box so I can mock up some ported enclosures?
The actual enclosure is 52鈥 W 12鈥 H 6鈥 D with .625鈥 MDF. Mounting depth is 5 3/8鈥

I鈥檒l post a pic of max dimensions under the seat.

Also if I can get the mounting depth I have been looking at Illusion Audio C12 XL鈥檚

Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
The actual enclosure is 52鈥 W 12鈥 H 6鈥 D with .625鈥 MDF. Mounting depth is 5 3/8鈥

I鈥檒l post a pic of max dimensions under the seat.

Also if I can get the mounting depth I have been looking at Illusion Audio C12 XL鈥檚
I've been looking at that same sub but the 10" to replace my front sub.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If that wedge shape gives you enough baffle to front fire 12s then that's an option that is definitely worth exploring...
The new enclosure can go up to 54 1/2鈥 wide
Current is 52鈥. The current enclosure in the pic have carpeted mounting blocks that are 1 1/2鈥 thick. Enclosure is 6鈥 deep. Again built with 5/8鈥 MDF.

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Registered
The new enclosure can go up to 54 1/2鈥 wide
Current is 52鈥. The current enclosure in the pic have carpeted mounting blocks that are 1 1/2鈥 thick. Enclosure is 6鈥 deep. Again built with 5/8鈥 MDF.

View attachment 348110
Unfortunately the C12XL takes a HUGE enclosure due to the Qts = 0.66 and Vas = 42.66L:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

So stuffing them in 2.5 cuft sealed results in Qtc = 0.96 so it takes 2kW to drive them to xMax (1200 RMS Thermal - so more than they are rated to handle) and the result is no better than 3 x 10TW3 driven to xMax:
Yellow = Dual C12XL to xMax
Blue = Triple 10TW3 to xMax
Colorfulness Slope Rectangle Font Line

So let's see if we can design a ported enclosure that can beat the current Triple 10 enclosure...
Here's the external box with dimensions for proof of concept:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Triangle

Then you take off all but the interior walls and make that a Group or Component, right-click, properties = 2.73 cuft:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

Then go to Subbox.pro and use the average of the front and rear heights at 9.5" for modeling and you get the same dimensions and gross interior volume (subs Vd set to Zero for this.)
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

So now we can model in both WinISD and Subbox.pro (to figure out port volume) and expect to get accurate results.

Front panel at 10.5" H x 54.5" W means you can fit Quad 10's and we will have to figure out the maximum depth and magnet diameter at depth from Sketchup but 1st let's find Quad 10's that will work in this airspace.

1st contender is going to be the Adire Audio Brahma 10 Mk2.5 cause I'm aware that it can be ported small and take huge power resulting in HUGE output.

So we use Subbox.pro and enter in the 0.1 cuft Vd per Sub and then manipulate the volume and port tuning to see where it can fit and we get this as an example of one possibility:
Rectangle Automotive lighting Line Font Terrestrial plant

Ignore where the subs are situated - they're only there for the volume calculation. The cut list shows the right end panel as 7.31" deep so that pluse 0.625" becomes our mounting depth to the port wall = 7.935" so if we save 1/2" for voice coil porting space we have 7.435" mounting depth > Brahma 10" = 6.5" spec. So it will work "mechanically" so let's plug that in to WinISD and see what happens:
Rectangle Font Line Slope Screenshot

Alignment is better than the Triple Sealed 10TW3...
We go to Excursion and Power and we've got a problem - the enclosure is actually too small for Quads (they want about 4 cuft net) so the power handling goes through the roof.
WinISD is predicting that it will take 18kW to reach xMax in this alignment!
Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot Software

But if you can swing that kind of hammer you do get a +12dB increase in output at 40Hz...
A little more than twice as loud but at a HUGE expense.
4 x $450 Subs = $1,800
1 x SALT12K at 0.5 Ohms = $3,860
Plus Electrical Upgrades and so on... and we're talking nearly $10K for a Substage.

So let's look at something else...
Quad Dayton HE10-22 Ported in the same 1.83 cuft at 30Hz:
Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

And that's a +10.8dB increase at 12kW - these HE Subs take a huge amount of power. But that's what it takes to DOUBLE the SPL over what the Triple 10TW3 could do if you pushed 2.25kW.

I'm at the 10 picture limit for this post so stay tuned, I'm going to go looking for Quad 10's that are more efficient that wills till work in 1.83 cuft at 30Hz and see what I can come up with that's reasonable.

Registered
@MONARCHAUDIO please give me an idea of what your MAXIMUM Wattage that you think you can reach without electrical modifications is cause when pursuing Quad 10's it takes a lot of power, even Dayton RSS HO's can handle about 3kW without problem when you've got 4 of them... we may need to look at High Efficiency PA Style Subs if you can't swing that kind of power.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@MONARCHAUDIO please give me an idea of what your MAXIMUM Wattage that you think you can reach without electrical modifications is cause when pursuing Quad 10's it takes a lot of power, even Dayton RSS HO's can handle about 3kW without problem when you've got 4 of them... we may need to look at High Efficiency PA Style Subs if you can't swing that kind of power.
My truck is a 2021 Chevy 3500 Duramax Diesel
I have a 230 amp alternator and two 830 CA batteries stock.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts