DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
My truck is a 2021 Chevy 3500 Duramax Diesel
I have a 230 amp alternator and two 830 CA batteries stock.
Ok so running a 3kW Amp wouldn't be much of a stretch then - but it's definitely gonna be a behind the seat back install... Zapco 3k in Classifieds

Or would you be more inclined to run something like the ½ bridge Taramps?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
For full disclosure for anyone else keeping up with this - mounting the amps behind the seat is going to increase the available space for the sub enclosure so there will be a version 2 of all of this after doing a new drawing in Sketchup to analyze the additional space.

For now, sticking with what we've been working on...
1.83 cuft net with 30 Hz Port at 23.25 in^2 port area on 3kW
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Symmetry

There were a huge number of subs that I modeled that didn't make this final list and I know that it's difficult to figure out which trace goes with which sub but all of this is to show you everything so when I deselect all but the Top 4 you'll see why...
The Top 4 SQL contenders are (in no particular order)
  1. Dayton 10HE-22
  2. Dayton 10HO-4
  3. Skar EVL10-22
  4. CT Sounds Strato 10-22
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The Dayton HE10-22 would probably be my choice as it has enough excursion that if you ever decided to double up on the power to 6kW they could handle it but the EVL or CT Sounds would be the more budget choice. The Dayton HO10-4 are at their limit and IME would eventually bottom out after they got broke in good so even though their simulated output is on par with the other ones, they're not really in the same league.

It's past my bedtime and I'm going to redo the drawings with the extra space the amps are currently taking up tomorrow and do a more thorough analysis as the port velocities are a little high in this simulation. Then come back to this with more models and more rambling... Good night.

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
461 Posts
I’ll chime in on this later but I would reach out to Jim Skaggs at MTI and see if he can give you their largest volume box with and without a seat lift, plus mounting depths. I’m fairly confident it’s the same or close to the same as my truck.

which is:

w/o seat lift, roughly 2.4-2.5 cf and max downfire depth of 4”, upfire 5.5”

w/ seat lift, roughly 3.0-3.1 cf, max downfire depth 5.5”, upfire 7”

daloudin modeled me over a dozen subs in the seat lift configuration.

I’m buying a pair of Audiofrog GB12D4s to run at 1500 watts @1 ohm, for what it’s worth. Illusion 12XLs were my back up choice but didn’t want to replace my P One and the Illusions need power and air, more than I could offer. Raven 12XL and Morel Ultimo Ti were contenders also, but again much larger power and air requirements to get similar results to the GBs. I know the Dayton HOs model extremely well but I’ve yet to try them.

if I could fit a Brahama 12, I would have probably done that but mounting depth is more than you’ll ever fit in a truck without deleting a rear seat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I’ll chime in on this later but I would reach out to Jim Skaggs at MTI and see if he can give you their largest volume box with and without a seat lift, plus mounting depths. I’m fairly confident it’s the same or close to the same as my truck.

which is:

w/o seat lift, roughly 2.4-2.5 cf and max downfire depth of 4”, upfire 5.5”

w/ seat lift, roughly 3.0-3.1 cf, max downfire depth 5.5”, upfire 7”

daloudin modeled me over a dozen subs in the seat lift configuration.

I’m buying a pair of Audiofrog GB12D4s to run at 1500 watts @1 ohm, for what it’s worth. Illusion 12XLs were my back up choice but didn’t want to replace my P One and the Illusions need power and air, more than I could offer. Raven 12XL and Morel Ultimo Ti were contenders also, but again much larger power and air requirements to get similar results to the GBs. I know the Dayton HOs model extremely well but I’ve yet to try them.

if I could fit a Brahama 12, I would have probably done that but mounting depth is more than you’ll ever fit in a truck without deleting a rear seat.
Hey Rick thanks for the info here is a pic of what I pm’ed daloudin.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Vehicle

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Automotive design Gas Gadget

current vs could be if amps are moved to the back wall. Second pic is what has to be knotched out. I’m wondering if there is more room under the seat in a 1-ton with rubber floor vinyl seat trim or does it compare to all GM trim levels?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
@RickWilson FWIW - I've also done 2 more 2020+ 1500 Double Cab Sub Boxes locally with prefab boxes from Fox (Quad 8) and another that started out with a Quad 8 Q-Bomb but returned it and bought a SubThump Quad 10 which is what we're working towards and I'm thinking there might be an extra bit of space in the 3500 compared (OP just posted the same thing... we're working on maximum dimensions by PM) to yours.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hey Rick thanks for the info here is a pic of what I pm’ed daloudin.
View attachment 348192
View attachment 348191
current vs could be if amps are moved to the back wall. Second pic is what has to be knotched out. I’m wondering if there is more room under the seat in a 1-ton with rubber floor vinyl seat trim or does it compare to all GM trim levels?
4 8s. Ported. Firing forward.

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
461 Posts
Again I’d check with MTI about the capacity of volume they can fit in a 2500/3500. They have certainly done them enough that they should know the limits of what volume you can squeeze out of an undersea at enclosure. I can imagine you are gaining more than 0.2-0.5 cf over the 1500s.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Again I’d check with MTI about the capacity of volume they can fit in a 2500/3500. They have certainly done them enough that they should know the limits of what volume you can squeeze out of an undersea at enclosure. I can imagine you are gaining more than 0.2-0.5 cf over the 1500s.
Agreed - but we're simply doing an exercise to see what "could" happen if someone has the skills to build a full custom enclosure and if a High Excursion / Full Magnet design can be accommodated.

Basically taking the SubThump Quad 10 a step further to fit bigger Sub Motors:

Here's what happens when you try to stuff a Dayton 10HE-22 into a 10.5" Front Baffle with a sloped top...
The RED flooded sections are where the driver interferes with the Top Baffle. The front part of the basket just under the mounting flange could be easily relieved to fit but the magnet would have to be milled to fit and then sealed to the magnet or have the hole fiberglassed to reseal the enclosure - clears the Voice Coil Ports but would certainly be a one off enclosure:
Rectangle Font Circle Symbol Logo

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Triangle Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Agreed - but we're simply doing an exercise to see what "could" happen if someone has the skills to build a full custom enclosure and if a High Excursion / Full Magnet design can be accommodated.

Basically taking the SubThump Quad 10 a step further to fit bigger Sub Motors:

Here's what happens when you try to stuff a Dayton 10HE-22 into a 10.5" Front Baffle with a sloped top...
The RED flooded sections are where the driver interferes with the Top Baffle. The front part of the basket just under the mounting flange could be easily relieved to fit but the magnet would have to be milled to fit and then sealed to the magnet or have the hole fiberglassed to reseal the enclosure - clears the Voice Coil Ports but would certainly be a one off enclosure:
View attachment 348200

View attachment 348201
That's why he needs 8s

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
FWIW - if you were do this then it would result in +11.736dB at 34Hz over the current setup.
Slope Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Here's the Quad SubThump Prefab Box linked above with Quad Dayton UM10-22's on 3kW vs the Current Setup:
Rectangle Slope Line Font Screenshot

+7dB at 34Hz and even more below that...
SubThump = $390
4 x UM10-22 = $800
Zapco 3k = $850
Total = $2,040 to gain 7dB and a whole bunch of SQ and transients.

OR
Dual SubThump Prefab Ported box with UM10-22:
Light Rectangle Slope Line Font

+11dB at 34Hz and a little more above that much more slam but less SQ...
-$400 (minus 2 of the UM10-22 Subs)
$1,640 to more than Double the current SPL and have massive transients with 2 x 10...

Quad SubThump Ported UM8-22 on 3kW kind of between the two 10s...
Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
554 Posts
Interesting thread. I don't get people's obsession with putting more power in unless they're running out of headroom.

That said the bigger box looks a great idea, and if you can then package a sub that can play lower and more efficiently even better.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
That's why he needs 8s
And we're comparing Quad 8s as well - so now we're looking for Quad 8s or Quad 10s that will fit in a sloped top enclosure. Either High Efficiency or High Excursion that can be pushed to or close to xMax in 0.6-0.8 cuft per driver sealed or 2.4 cuft at 30-33Hz Ported combined airspace for all 4 drivers on 3kW or less.

The examples above were both with the Dayton Ultimax D2 as they are the only High Excursion 8-10" drivers that I'm familiar with - please chime in if you know of a driver that can compete with either of these on price/performance ratio. Mounting depth around 6.5-7" with magnet diameter at that depth no more than 7" to clear the top baffle...

Interesting thread. I don't get people's obsession with putting more power in unless they're running out of headroom.
When running small sealed it takes big power - with that said if you know of any high efficiency 8s or 10s that will work in small sealed or ported enclosures then we'd love to hear about them... trying to keep Qtc in the 7s for sealed and port tuning at or below 33Hz for ported.

Thank you for your time.
D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it's a magic triangle of output/extension + size + efficiency. If you're running out of headroom for a given size and setup efficiency fine.

IMO far more gains to be made in the 2 other sides of the triangle. Bigger box here would work wonders.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it's a magic triangle of output/extension + size + efficiency. If you're running out of headroom for a given size and setup efficiency fine.

IMO far more gains to be made in the 2 other sides of the triangle. Bigger box here would work wonders.
Agreed and that's why we're trying to optimize the size by building a custom enclosure but given the constraints of fitting under the rear seat (without any lift) the prefab boxes are already squeezing all the airspace they can under there... That's why 2 x 10 ported is louder than 4 x 10 sealed but the sealed has much better SQ (as usual.) And we will model variations that we can find that fit to see if 2, 3 or 4 sealed will be the best option.

Reactions: Muu

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Agreed and that's why we're trying to optimize the size by building a custom enclosure but given the constraints of fitting under the rear seat (without any lift) the prefab boxes are already squeezing all the airspace they can under there... That's why 2 x 10 ported is louder than 4 x 10 sealed but the sealed has much better SQ (as usual.) And we will model variations that we can find that fit to see if 2, 3 or 4 sealed will be the best option.
Heck yeah and love it. Thanks for all of this info and the work you are doing for this project!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,454 Posts
Heck yeah and love it. Thanks for all of this info and the work you are doing for this project!
Yea, @daloudin is the man!!!! His post are the reason I have 2 SQLs on 4k and I'm in love with them. Always helpful beyond expectations.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
1,891 Posts
Seriously good stuff. I’d love to get this amount of quality info for where to go next with truck after he’s done modeling yours. 😆

41 - 60 of 65 Posts