DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will install some sound deadening to the front and rear doors, as well as some HAT Imagine 6x9s in the front and Miurs 6.5s in the back. I'll power these with an Arc audio XDi805. Sill no sure what deck to install...

My question is, will a HAT Imagine I6SW go well in a custom enclosure in one of the rear left/right cubbies? If anyone has experience with these please help.
Other Sub suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
You should get an 18" or 21" sub, install it ported, with the woofer and port facing rearward, then drive with the hatch open. When you play it loud the engine will turn off and the sound waves will move the car.

It's an exclusive Prius feature. Called "regenerative bassing"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
schmiddr2: Thanks for the suggestions. They both look promising. I wasn't aware the HAT was supposed to be ported. Now to find a custom builder that wont charge an arm and my first born for a box.

kvndoom: I like the "regenerative bassing" idea. Not sure my prius could handle such a large sub though. it would be on the two rear wheels and It may take off like a shuttle. Or just turn the whole pruis into a down firing sub box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will install some sound deadening to the front and rear doors, as well as some HAT Imagine 6x9s in the front and Miurs 6.5s in the back. I'll power these with an Arc audio XDi805. Sill no sure what deck to install...

My question is, will a HAT Imagine I6SW go well in a custom enclosure in one of the rear left/right cubbies? If anyone has experience with these please help.
Other Sub suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks
Great to see another Prius owner in this forum!

As for subs, I'm currently running a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 in my 2010 Prius. The SQ is amazing for the size, and (with the grill removed) it fits in the package tray under the deck. However, I'm considering upgrading to an Alpine Alpine SWR-T12 in an Atrend 12SME box, where the package tray is now.

If you haven't checked it out already, there is a lot of good info over on the PriusChat forum. Take a look at this:
Is there a place to buy a cubby subwoofer/enclosure? - PriusChat Forums

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should get an 18" or 21" sub, install it ported, with the woofer and port facing rearward, then drive with the hatch open. When you play it loud the engine will turn off and the sound waves will move the car.

Brilliant! Funniest thing I've read all day. :D

Let us know of you have any ideas for how to connect a sub amp to the Prius high voltage battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Iv heard great things about the JL 13tw5. Flat sub for small spaces.
Atrend also has a box designed for the JL 13tw5. (model 13sme, maybe?). It might fit in place of the
cargo tray if you remove the foam spacer under the spare tire, but I have not confirmed this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you for the HAT info page. That little sub is pretty good for its size eh. I've never heard one in person though. Need to find a dealer with one...

OOoo A 13tw5?!?! I'll look into that. Last I saw on Atrend' website, the boxes for that sub were too big to fit in the storage compartment. I'll have to look at the SME model though, it may work. I don't know how much power it needs being in a sealed box though. Don't sealed enclosures need more power? Also I read somewhere that this is a 3ohm sub. Not sure if my amp does that.

As for the CP108LG-W3v3, I have seen them installed before and they do sound great. But you have to modify the cover over the cargo space or leave the sub cover off. I am not sure I like either idea. Unfortunate, because It's a good little package.

That prius forum link was awesome! I may end up going with one of those enclosures. But I need to find a sub that will go well with my amp (XDi805) and contact the maker to see if he can port it. I would like a ported sub enclosure in that cubby if its possible. A bit pricey for an enclosure but i'm sure it's worth it.

Thank you all for your advice, and giving me some more options to look into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for the HAT info page. That little sub is pretty good for its size eh. I've never heard one in person though. Need to find a dealer with one...

OOoo A 13tw5?!?! I'll look into that. Last I saw on Atrend' website, the boxes for that sub were too big to fit in the storage compartment. I'll have to look at the SME model though, it may work. I don't know how much power it needs being in a sealed box though. Don't sealed enclosures need more power? Also I read somewhere that this is a 3ohm sub. Not sure if my amp does that.

As for the CP108LG-W3v3, I have seen them installed before and they do sound great. But you have to modify the cover over the cargo space or leave the sub cover off. I am not sure I like either idea. Unfortunate, because It's a good little package.

That prius forum link was awesome! I may end up going with one of those enclosures. But I need to find a sub that will go well with my amp (XDi805) and contact the maker to see if he can port it. I would like a ported sub enclosure in that cubby if its possible. A bit pricey for an enclosure but i'm sure it's worth it.

Thank you all for your advice, and giving me some more options to look into.
Either modifying the cargo cover or fabricating a replacement would be necessary for pretty much any sub mounted in the cargo floor. My plan was to make a replacement cover for the cargo space (with a hole large enough for the grill) out of MDF and cover it with carpet - maybe even mount the enclosure and the amp (right side up, of course) to the bottom side of the carpeted MDF panel. I would just flip the carpet down over the sub when carrying cargo. One of the most challenging design criteria is making it so the wife can get the spare tire out, if need be.

The fiberglass enclosure from the Prius forum is pricey, but it's about half of what a local shop quoted me to make a custom one. Also, it limits you to a 10" sub and a small number of them to boot. However, I'm starting to consider this again since my amp is only rated at [email protected], but is good for 400W @ 2ohm. I may not have enough power for the JL or Alpine slim subs, but I think a 10" 4ohm DVC wired in parallel might be just the trick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either modifying the cargo cover or fabricating a replacement would be necessary for pretty much any sub mounted in the cargo floor. My plan was to make a replacement cover for the cargo space (with a hole large enough for the grill) out of MDF and cover it with carpet - maybe even mount the enclosure and the amp (right side up, of course) to the bottom side of the carpeted MDF panel. I would just flip the carpet down over the sub when carrying cargo. One of the most challenging design criteria is making it so the wife can get the spare tire out, if need be.

The fiberglass enclosure from the Prius forum is pricey, but it's about half of what a local shop quoted me to make a custom one. Also, it limits you to a 10" sub and a small number of them to boot. However, I'm starting to consider this again since my amp is only rated at [email protected], but is good for 400W @ 2ohm. I may not have enough power for the JL or Alpine slim subs, but I think a 10" 4ohm DVC wired in parallel might be just the trick.
I agree, I have been thinking the same thing in both cases. I don't really want to modify the pannel or the tray and I have not found a custom box that the spare will sit on. So I think I will end up getting the custom cubby box. But like you said, It limits my sub options. I don't think I need too much for a little prius though. That's why I considered the HAT 61/2. I'll be looking into what may work in that box when I can. I'll look at that DVC too, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

I see what you did there.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I'd love to take advantage of that HV battery pack with some pro amps.....

That would be sooo baller, and over the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I found a sub that I may want, but I don't know enough about Ohms and RMS ratings to know if my amp will handle it.
It's an Hertz HX250 or the 250D. One is a single coil and the other is Dual coil. Both are 4Ohm per coil and 450RMS, 900 Peak.
My amp will be (if it ever ships) and Arc Audio XDi805. I think it's rated 250x2 [email protected], and 400x1 @2Ohm. Looks to me like my amp may not quite push that sub but I'm also not entirely sure how these power ratings work.
May have to settle for a lesser sub :( On the other hand, this may be too much sub for my little prius.
This is also a large sub, but I saw in the earlier mentioned Prius chat forum that someone had one of these in the same enclosure I was looking into getting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wooo amp is on it's way. Install is getting closer and closer.
Still looking into Sub options for that custom cubby enclosure though.
That Hertz is still tempting me...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't find a Hertz dealer or anyone that has one to listen to. Sad deal...
Can anyone attest to and Arc 10d4 or an Boston G1 10? Or maybe the G3 series (not sure about mounting depth on the G3)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
How much mounting area do you have in this cubby space (pics)? Porting a small 6" or 8" sub can get large really quick with port length. I was thinking you could use a larger passive radiator mounted next to your sub if space allows.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts