DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the adjustments for tuning a sub for the type of car (small, sedan, suv, etc), open air (like open top or convertible) and closed (all windows rolled up, etc)?
I currently have a TRU S500 pushing a IDQ10v3 in ~.6sqft sealed enclosure with Kenwood DDX812 HU in a C6 Vette coupe. Cross-over is at 60Hz right now with reverse phase and -12db/octave.
The bass right now doesn't seem to be tuned right. There's bass in all, but doesn't seem enough for the woofer movement when car is closed up. Basically, I think there's more shake than note, but note is more noticeable outside the car. Bass is a bit better inside when windows are rolled down.

So, what can I adjust to tune the sub for open or closed environment?
Can the amount of filling in the box make a difference?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yes the amount of poly-fil can make a difference, just try some and see what you like

Sounds like you need to do some sound treatments to stop feeling the bass and hearing it instead. It seems to me you have some vibrating and resonance going on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I do still need to complete my sound deadening.

What would be the effects of the polyfill? Less polyfill produces? More polyfill produces?
How packed should the polyfill be? Really dense or just fluff to fill the space?

Appreciate the inputs.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
its really trial and error depending on how much is need for the particular enclosure, sub and vehicle

more poly-fil = more volume the subwoofer "sees"

·
Registered
636 Posts
What kind of enclosure is it? (fiberglass, MDF, composite)

Where is the enclosure located and what direction is the sub facing?

Is the enclosure fastened down?

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
I'd suggest raising your crossover to around 100hz. It'll bring out the impact and you shouldn't start to get localization yet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd suggest raising your crossover to around 100hz. It'll bring out the impact and you shouldn't start to get localization yet.
Yeah - I'd try that too - only when I've admitted to myself that my midbass is/are pants... Install is what you need to look at... how the midbass are installed - how solidly are they installed and is your soundproofing good enough... also, sometimes the midbass need to be angled in slightly especially if you have a big centre console that comes down to the floor of the car and out to the gear stick... if done properly, will seriously reduce or cut the big dips that appear in the 125-400hz range.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of enclosure is it? (fiberglass, MDF, composite)

Where is the enclosure located and what direction is the sub facing?

Is the enclosure fastened down?
Here's the enclosure I'm using.
4080 Enclosures :: Corvetted C6 driver side 10' $349.99
In short, it's fiberglass, located behind drivers side trunk area and facing angled up towards otherside of trunk.
Enclosure is pretty well mounted, it doesn't move much with thumpin'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.