DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need a little bit of advice on getting a bit sub output in my car. i have a 2013 crv with cdt es components (es-02, es-06) up front and i have 2 illusion audio c12 in a custom box in the rear. helix dsp.3 and audison voce 5.1k for processing and amp. i cannot quite get the output and depth i am looking for and would like to upgrade or go for a lateral choice. I am thinking the sound is limited by having shallow mount subs. What are your recommendations?
Budget: Single sub- under 600
dual sub- under 900

Thanks you all.

Pic is my work in Progress.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Have you used a mic and run an RTA to see what's going on? A pair of 10's should do pretty well in a hatchback. Those illusions aren't exactly true shallow mount subs, with the motor up front they retain a pretty decent amount of excursion that most shallow mounts don't have. Before ditching some great subs I'd spend some time with a mic, and your DSP to see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just adjusted the crossover point for my mids and sub and it sounds better. the points were where i had it for my last set up with a dayton ho12. I will definitely try using my mic to see if i can get it better when i have time. i have been adjusting some things little by little.
i will eventually rear fire the subs but i have not figured out how i am going to secure it yet(suggestions welcome). also in the process of trying to design some sort of amp rack and keep my spare in there.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Or fix the current problem first, and maybe you do not need to rear fire them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
More box volume, sundown rca’s 60$ but such a difference, or a pre amp line driver. Sound deadner always helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't consider upgrading without playing with the current subs first. The Illusion C12's are no slouch. I'd face the current box towards to rear hatch, and consider sending them a little more power if possible.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
One issue with the C12 is that it is a low profile sub and has reduced excursion(Xmax) due to that. It has 12mm where a normal sub might have 18-20 and high excursion subs could be near 30 mm of excursion. Since output volume is a combination of cone area (Sd) and excursion, this could explain the volume output issue. If you need shallow subs, the JL 12TW3 has 15mm of excursion so it might help a little but it wouldn’t be a big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts