DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i am running my amp bridged Mono and it says in the manual do not use any less than a 4 ohm speaker. Old HiFonics Gen VII Aphrodite 5-6 channels bridged mono, its the worst manual I have ever read. See here if you dont believe me. :)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/60141-gen-vii-hifonics-aphrodite-help.html

So my question is I have to either get a 4 ohm single vc sub or a dual vc 2 ohm sub. A 4 ohm dual will not work because there is no way to get 4 ohms out of a single dual 4 am I correct? There was a sub I really liked that was dual 4 ohms but my understanding is it wont work for my application. Am i understanding this correctly. Thanks again i have never felt like such an idiot on a single amp in my life.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
You can run the amp at 8 ohms bridged, you just won't get as much power out of the amp. For maximum power, use a single 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm. A dual 4 ohm wired in series for 8 ohms would work but power output would be lower, equal to twice the 4ohm stereo output.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VP question for you here again and I really appreciate your input you have helped me a lot with this amp and set up. I believe that sub is a dual 4. My sub is in my trunk so I really want to get the most of it. At 4 ohms bridged I get 160 RMS at 12V at 8 ohms it drops it to 100 at 12V. I dont know if that is enough to even power that sub. In your opinion what would be a good sub for my application. 1 12 is all i have room for in my trunk and that is pushing it. I than you once again. Bill

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
That's not a lot of power to work with really. Ideally a ported enclosure would be your best best. Something fairly efficient too. I'd say maybe a JBL GTO 10 ported would have decent output. If a 12 is pushing it sealed, you aren't getting one ported in there so I'd say use a 10. The JBL's are nice subs, cheap as hell on ebay too.

You could always buy my PDX-1.600 I have for sale fairly cheap and you can run 600 watts at 2 or 4 ohms (SHAMELESS PLUG I KNOW)!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.