DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 Mustang Cobra convertible, and I am looking at replacing the Mach 460 sound system. I'm just in the planning stages, but I'm stuck on use/placement of a subwoofer. I'm not looking to shake the neighborhood, just get decent sound quality. There isn't much room in the trunk, and I don't want to lose too much space there.

Any ideas on which way to go? Anyone have experience on the self powered units that can be installed to the seat bottom?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

BobV

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not so sure how easy it's going to be to achieve sq with a convertible, but what do I know?

Been wondering about that for awhile really.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have an '01 Mustang Cobra convertible, and I am looking at replacing the Mach 460 sound system. I'm just in the planning stages, but I'm stuck on use/placement of a subwoofer. I'm not looking to shake the neighborhood, just get decent sound quality. There isn't much room in the trunk, and I don't want to lose too much space there.

Any ideas on which way to go? Anyone have experience on the self powered units that can be installed to the seat bottom?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

BobV
You can slide a pair of tens under the top, but you'll still lose everything with the top down. It's a very hard car to do as a coupe, the 'verts are just tough. Try to get as much sound up front as possible. You an fit 8's in the doors (the Kicker RMB's/SSMB's work well), and mids/tweets in the kicks if you want to go that route (makes it tough to use the clutch if you have bigger than a size 10 shoe). You can also glass 8's behind the dash as there is quite a bit of space there. The Aura Bass Shakers are quite helpful, and cheap for this car.
My suggestion? Screw the stereo, and go Magnapack. You won't care about the music :D

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I had a 00 GT, and my friend had a '95 vert GT, I installed systems into both sucessfully.

Bass shakers add bass to your butt, so that's pretty neat. Don't make that your only bass however! Its just the low freq. rumble that they augment.

Just thinking out loud here...I think I'd fully deaden the car (to reduce squeaks / rattles, and resonance from increased volume), and run the biggest woofer you can in the door, and seal it up for good mid-bass performance.

Before I make a suggestion for subs...Question...

Do you ever have rear passengers, and if so, how much leg room do they need?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply...

There's virtually no leg room in the back. I've even been considering a rear seat delete, but that takes away from the stock look. This is a beautiful car, and I don't want it to look hacked up. This is still an idea I need to research.

Are you thinking about one of the kits that go behind the seats in a pickup? The drive-shaft hump really minimizes the height I have to work with.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Here's my thought...

Take note of how tall the space is from the floor to the rear seat cushion. Granted, its at an angle but check it out. Now, figure out where your seat needs to be, and measure how much space you have left before you run into that rear seat cushion area. You'll only need a few inches, literally, for some subs. If you can build a small box behind each seat (and you can pan over the trans hump if you want to for a single box), you could likely get a pair shallow 10's, or at least a pair of 8's in there. Hell, you could even get VERY creative with a healthy pair of 6.5" subs (they are out there, promise) and port them to give you a decently flat output. I know each car is different (including how far back you need your seat to go to be comfortable), so consider taking some quick pics of the area and perhaps I can get more in depth on this. You don't need much room at all, if you are willing to sacrifice the rear passenger leg room a bit.

Also, get TINY amps like PDX Alpines to keep things small and high performance. Those, or the Pioneer PRS (which I've used before and been really happy about.)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have an 03 cobra convertible. I have an ED 16ov.2 glassed into the spare tire well. I went with sheer power and a big sub. It gets 1100 watts from a memphis belle. I have no problem with output, even with the top down

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I'm not so sure how easy it's going to be to achieve sq with a convertible, but what do I know?

Been wondering about that for awhile really.

With a Mustang convertible you don't go for dainty....you go LOUD!!!!

I did a Mercedes convertible tis past Summer with an Alpine Type R 10 and it pounded pretty good.

I was surprised.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Given you want as much trunk space as possible, that's why I bothered to suggest subs behind the driver and passenger seat. The right design back there would really work nicely, I think.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My suggestion is a trunk baffle installation with 2 12" subs. Good bass top up or down.Many of our dealers have done this type of system with great results. No loss of actual usable trunk for the most part.

If you want to disturb the peace go for 4 ea 10 or 12" subs trunk baffle with the appropriate power and you will have more than a normal person can stand.

Eric
Image Dynamics

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
My suggestion is a trunk baffle installation with 2 12" subs. Good bass top up or down.Many of our dealers have done this type of system with great results. No loss of actual usable trunk for the most part.

If you want to disturb the peace go for 4 ea 10 or 12" subs trunk baffle with the appropriate power and you will have more than a normal person can stand.

Eric
Image Dynamics
You can do infinite baffle in this car? I did not know!

That would be sweet.

Fi Audio has a new IB sub that begs to be installed here, then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before it was stolen, I had a pair of JL 8's in my '99 Mustang (not a convertible). They won't shake the neighborhood or anything, but the bass was tight and didn't take up too much space. Small and sounded great. Tested at 123 SPL.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
You can do infinite baffle in this car? I did not know!

That would be sweet.

Fi Audio has a new IB sub that begs to be installed here, then.
Sorry, there is no IB in this car. there is no "baffle" to put the subs in. behind the rear seats is the space the top folds down into and the mechanicals for the top. Your gonna have to use some kind of enclosure. Not to mention there is no "hard" way to seal the cabin from the trunk. The divider is just vinyl that is loose.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Sorry, there is no IB in this car. there is no "baffle" to put the subs in. behind the rear seats is the space the top folds down into and the mechanicals for the top. Your gonna have to use some kind of enclosure. Not to mention there is no "hard" way to seal the cabin from the trunk. The divider is just vinyl that is loose.

But the Image Dynamics guy just said so!

I want pics of it if it is possible... Could you imagine? Makes me want to buy a vert mustang and figure it out...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I vote for a pair of shallow (<5.75" mounting depth) 12's sealed. That way you keep your trunk volume and end up with a pair of 12's that is equal to (in output) a pair of ported 10's that take up more volume than a pair of sealed 12's. Just my $0.02 though. :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I vote for a pair of shallow (<5.75" mounting depth) 12's sealed. That way you keep your trunk volume and end up with a pair of 12's that is equal to (in output) a pair of ported 10's that take up more volume than a pair of sealed 12's. Just my $0.02 though. :)
I vote for the same thing for my Sport Trac. Maybe BM's.....GIMME GIMME!!!!!!!!!! Shallow AND XBL2? I can dig it. I think you'll have a winner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback to my question. The thought of 6.5" subs intrigues me. If I did it right, I have included a picture of the rear speaker housing. Another Mustang owner commented he though that 6.5" speakers would fit here.

What do we think of two 6.5 inch subs placed in the factory locations?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts