DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some measurements in my trunk in preparation for my next install and my intention is to install a pair of 15's in IB. The width of the trunk between the shock towers is roughly 34". The subs will fit but barely, gonna have to mount them from the trunk side, which is no problem. But with having very little baffle material around the subs, how thick should the baffle be? Will 1.5" be enough or should I go a bit more?

·
Registered
139 Posts
With that little wood around the speakers, it won't be particularly rigid. My experience is that IB baffles easily vibrates = some loss in general SPL and more noticable loss in impact.

I'd seriously think about reinforcing the baffle with a simple structure looking something like this, seen from above:
___ ___
|___| |___|
|_/ \_|_/ \_|

Where the three vertical |'s on each side and between the woofers are small, 2"-3" will suffice, wood plates angled 90 degrees on the baffle. Rigid as hell with little work and weight.

Just imagine you're building the world's smallest dual 15" enclosure, and forget the back wall. :)

Edit: The "drawing" looked like ass when out of the editor. If you don't understand what I was trying to show, press "quote" when replying, and you'll see in your editor. ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
You could also box the baffle like a picture frame with some vertical members where possible.
Like a frame for the baffle with a smaller frame for each sub.

No Art here.
Think shadow box

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sandwich the drivers between two sheets of 3/4" MDF. Use 3/4" or 1/2" for the middle layer depending on the height of your drivers mounting flange.

Glue the "interior" layer and middle layer together, and attach the back trunk side layer with wood screws in key places. This keeps it serviceable should you blow out one of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts