DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to save as much space as I can and I was wondering, if having subs in the spare tire well in trunk cars,firing up have any different sound characteristics vs a normal rear firing setup?

Have anybody had/has/heard a spare tire enclosure and noticed any difference in output and Sq?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
When you place the subs in the tire well facing upwards the results can be better than having the sub(s) against the seat. SQ wise, it's great. Ask anyone that was at the meet yesterday how my two subs in my spare tire well sounded. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
It seems to me that subs in the spare tire well have better phase response than having the subs mounted against the rear seats firing to the trunk. All of that I've heard blended very well with the frontstage. I plan to do that soon in my new car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have this type of setup on my '95 Civic. I have an IDQ12 firing upwards to the rear deck. Yup, i have noticed a loss in output. When I crank it up sometimes, i feel like i have lost a lot of power on my amp. But it sounds good though. Blends well with my front stage.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have this type of setup on my '95 Civic. I have an IDQ12 firing upwards to the rear deck. Yup, i have noticed a loss in output. When I crank it up sometimes, i feel like i have lost a lot of power on my amp. But it sounds good though. Blends well with my front stage.
x2^ lost some output but blinds in nicely!!!!

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I also like how the coupling tends to send the very low frequencies right through the car, reinforcing them a bit. Thing about it, that sucker is part of the car when you mold it into the spare tire well. A box is..well...just there.

I liked the spare tire well install I did in my Speed3, and would do it again if I had a spare tire well still.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
id try a temporary install first, just to see how it works, if it works/sounds good, do a final install.

actually thats a lie, if it worked...id leave it :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Anyone try a shallow mount sub just to keep the spare? Never know when your tire will go D:
Im using an IDQ12 V3 and I retained the tire to be my grill for the sub. Reverse physics! Lolz!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im driving a '95 Civic EG sedan. Heres how it looks like while it was being made:

Backside of the box

And heres the tire on top of the subs hole

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im not sure but the box should weigh in a litte over 50lbs. It looks heavy but the whole setup is actually lighter than my old setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Any extreme sound difference with the tire in and out of the way of the sub??

WHAT A BUILD :O
Read from beginning to end and gave me an idea of what to do with my 2000 civic!
Nah, not much noticable difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just hope you don't take any turns too fast lol
looks like a rather complicated build trying to get it to fit in the trunk well with some room in the boot...but I have never built my own box in the spare hole

·
Registered
322 Posts
But I do! The sub is actually flush mounted with a 14" MDF ring so it wont go sliding around in the trunk and at the same time protecting the cone and the surround of the sub from being hit. Its quite simple but very effective!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts