DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven't figured out my sub stage. For the front stage, I'm going with beyma 8g40 mids and Stevens audio neo comp full size horns. The front stage will be powered by a zapco ap 6channel. The mids will be bridged. Supposed to get about 500 Watts at 4ohm.I'll be using a twk88 for a DSP and a fiio m11 dap. I always make the wrong move with subs. Most guys here are content with a small sub stage that's not that impactful. Their looking for pure SQ. I like loud but I also want precision. I listen to metal and bass heavy trance stuff. I want that chest slam. Nick with stereo integrity told me to go with the HST sealed and give it 3000 Watts. I don't know. I'm either told to go full spl with a crazy 6th order or pure SQ using 10's sealed. This is going in a 2018 Jeep grand Cherokee. This is my second thread pertaining to the subject matter. Maybe I'll figure it out this time.

For power, im looking at synergy amps. One in particular is the wfo 3.1 d. Any suggestions for subs and enclosure design would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I still haven't figured out my sub stage. For the front stage, I'm going with beyma 8g40 mids and Stevens audio neo comp full size horns. The front stage will be powered by a zapco ap 6channel. The mids will be bridged. Supposed to get about 500 Watts at 4ohm.I'll be using a twk88 for a DSP and a fiio m11 dap. I always make the wrong move with subs. Most guys here are content with a small sub stage that's not that impactful. Their looking for pure SQ. I like loud but I also want precision. I listen to metal and bass heavy trance stuff. I want that chest slam. Nick with stereo integrity told me to go with the HST sealed and give it 3000 Watts. I don't know. I'm either told to go full spl with a crazy 6th order or pure SQ using 10's sealed. This is going in a 2018 Jeep grand Cherokee. This is my second thread pertaining to the subject matter. Maybe I'll figure it out this time.

For power, im looking at synergy amps. One in particular is the wfo 3.1 d. Any suggestions for subs and enclosure design would be awesome.
Sealed, high excursion subs, lots of power, with a good tune = sq + spl.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The bigger the better, but the box can take up so much room, so if you have the balls, cut the trunk floor and put in IB. One 15" good, two 15" better, one 18" better yet, two 18" for the win.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looks like FI’s site is running a 25% off sale if there’s something there that might interest you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bigger the better, but the box can take up so much room, so if you have the balls, cut the trunk floor and put in IB. One 15" good, two 15" better, one 18" better yet, two 18" for the win.
I most certainly will not cut through the floor to do an IB in this suv. I've seen the videos from Buddy from the UK that specializes in those type of installs that I'm sure it sounds awesome but I'm not willing to venture that far LOL

·
Registered
2018 F150
236 Posts
If you like metal and trance with a mix of sq and spl wouldnt 3 or 4 8" subs be better? Ive always thought big subs played lower, but react slower. Isnt chest thump in the midbass, 100 hz range? And kick drums in metal and trance around the 50 hz range? 8" subs would be perfect for that.

The beymas play down to 65 hz but the response drops at a noticeable rate below 100hz.

8" subs might let you fill in that gap nicely.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you like metal and trance with a mix of sq and spl wouldnt 3 or 4 8" subs be better? Ive always thought big subs played lower, but react slower. Isnt chest thump in the midbass, 100 hz range? And kick drums in metal and trance around the 50 hz range? 8" subs would be perfect for that.

The beymas play down to 65 hz but the response drops at a noticeable rate below 100hz.

8" subs might let you fill in that gap nicely.

What do you all think?
No. Chest slam is in the 30-40 hz range.

·
Registered
306 Posts
2 hst-15's in 7cuft tuned to 22, 2 hst-15's in 8.5cuft tuned to 17, 2 hst-18's in 10cuft sealed, all on 6kw. 4 dayton ho 10"s in 2cuft sealed on 3kw

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
What sub(S) do you recommend?
Stereo Integrity, Adire Audio Brahma, CSS Audio SDX12. Stereo Integrity is probably the best value, not necessarily the worst choice either. I have CSS Audio SDX12's, got them at $270 preorder price, they're a bit higher now.
All of those subs are super clean, crazy loud, and will play anything you throw at them.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Reactions: DavidRam

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 hst-15's in 7cuft tuned to 22, 2 hst-15's in 8.5cuft tuned to 17, 2 hst-18's in 10cuft sealed, all on 6kw. 4 dayton ho 10"s in 2cuft sealed on 3kw
I got all excited about those daytons until I looked at the x-max. it's not very good. I bet two hst15s would sound awesome but man that's a lot of power needed

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I got all excited about those daytons until I looked at the x-max. it's not very good. I bet two hst15s would sound awesome but man that's a lot of power needed
You're gonna need a lot of power to keep up with that front stage and do what you want.

·
Registered
306 Posts
2 Fi audio Neo 3.5 15's on 3500 watts in 5cuft, very similar output to the hst-15's will needing less power, and offering inductance improvement and linearization upgrades for better sq. this may be your best bet. put them on 5k anyway

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get 2 Adire Kali 18's and call it a day... can even get 30% off... I very briefly thought about it, if only I were just a little more irresponsible...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
2 Fi audio Neo 3.5 15's on 3500 watts in 5cuft, very similar output to the hst-15's will needing less power, and offering inductance improvement and linearization upgrades for better sq. this may be your best bet. put them on 5k anyway
I used to run the FI audio q series back in the day they were pretty good sounding subwoofers. My only issue with Fi audio is their measurements have been known to be inaccurate. would recommend those two subs 5 cubic foot sealed?

·
Registered
573 Posts
You haven't mentioned (in this thread at least) budget or maximum box volume. Three 13W7AE would do well with that amplifier ... 25cuft tuned at 18Hz yields 125dB @ 40Hz dropping to a measley 124dB @ 20Hz (needs a subsonic filter @16Hz)
Probably end up killing you by crushing your heart, but what a way to go ... amIright?

·
Registered
134 Posts
No. Chest slam is in the 30-40 hz range.
This is incorrect. There are guys on this forum that work in live sound industry that will probably concur.

My buddy worked the sound board and concert setups for years in small to medium venues. Chest slam from multiple 18"'s starts around 90hz. Of course there are variants involved and dynamics around 220, 600 2k, etc.

My HT with 4 18" subs doesn't chest slam @ 30-40hz. Now my wife will tell you that it feels like the house is breaking apart @ 30-40 and much below 😁 but, no chest slam.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is incorrect. There are guys on this forum that work in live sound industry that will probably concur.

My buddy worked the sound board and concert setups for years in small to medium venues. Chest slam from multiple 18"'s starts around 90hz. Of course there are variants involved and dynamics around 220, 600 2k, etc.

My HT with 4 18" subs doesn't chest slam @ 30-40hz. Now my wife will tell you that it feels like the house is breaking apart @ 30-40 and much below 😁 but, no chest slam.
Incorrect

1 - 20 of 36 Posts