DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
Dunno...I’m a metal head and love 15s.

My current 15 plays to 90 in my car and it’s quite lovely. But you’ll need a lower Le to play higher easier.

·
Registered
2018 F150
229 Posts
I dont think we should turn this thread into a debate about which frequencies cause chest slam. A quick search reveals dozens of threads in various audio forums that go for several pages.

I will say that you shouldnt believe everything you see on the internet, here or otherwise.

I think we should focus on the frequencies that Jimmy is looking to hit and let the recommendations go from there.

30-40hz is the sweet spot here.

I think we can all agree that helping the original poster answer his question is more important than trying to win arguments with strangers over the internet.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
For me a balanced system with adequate cone area for subs is a very good start, arguing about whether one frequency is better or not should be left on the playground kids

I will always go for a lower inductance 15 any day over multiple tens or similar, cone area and excursion win out, and when dialled into some capable midbass I have never felt impact lacking, but I have found 4x10’s lacking in comparison in the lowest freqs, so for me it’s a combo of decent (normally 8” plus) midbass and a bigger sub

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For me a balanced system with adequate cone area for subs is a very good start, arguing about whether one frequency is better or not should be left on the playground kids

I will always go for a lower inductance 15 any day over multiple tens or similar, cone area and excursion win out, and when dialled into some capable midbass I have never felt impact lacking, but I have found 4x10’s lacking in comparison in the lowest freqs, so for me it’s a combo of decent (normally 8” plus) midbass and a bigger sub
What do you consider the best 15s with low inductance?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

I have run single large subs 15's/18's and multiple small 8's/10's. Each time I would rather run the single large sub. I am not as techy as others on the forum so can only describe my experience. The multiple subs seemed to be louder but always seemed to miss especially on the low end. The large subs seemed to always have a better range top to bottom. I also never had the experience that large subs are slower or not as tight as small subs, which I dont think is true. Ive never had an issue running a larger sub from around 70 down. Im still sitting on a JL 18w6 that I am pretty sure will get pulled into my next install. For me, large sub and sealed box have always sounded best.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
U.K.
I have run single large subs 15's/18's and multiple small 8's/10's. Each time I would rather run the single large sub. I am not as techy as others on the forum so can only describe my experience. The multiple subs seemed to be louder but always seemed to miss especially on the low end. The large subs seemed to always have a better range top to bottom. I also never had the experience that large subs are slower or not as tight as small subs, which I dont think is true. Ive never had an issue running a larger sub from around 70 down. Im still sitting on a JL 18w6 that I am pretty sure will get pulled into my next install. For me, large sub and sealed box have always sounded best.
yup, regardless of what specs say... the way a big sub pressurises a cabin and commands low end is something special...

I have heard the odd smaller sub that would be nice in multiples with the correct eq...

my mates dls nordica 12 in his glovebox in a 5 series, and another mates hertz Mille 10 has a vice like grip of the low end like no other ten ive ever heard... but the rest have left me underwhelmed

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have one of those Dayton’s, it is nice. An AE SPB15 with Apollo motor finally replaced it for good.
How high did you play each? Have a pair of the Dayton's to use and have considered picking up the a pair of SBP15-8 instead. Mainly for sensitivity and an easier load on the amp but I assume I could run them a decent bit higher.

Did you purchase the Apollo upgrade to lower distortion and Le? Or to be able to let them rip with a HPF set? Both?

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
The Dayton I think I played to 80. The AES are 90-100...though they could both go higher. I’ve messed around with both at 150.

Lower and flatter Le...though they are pretty excellent without it. I had an IB12 and 15 prior, and they were excellent...this is my forever sub rn.

I have a few 12s left if anyone is in the market for SBP12S with the Apollo motors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Dayton I think I played to 80. The AES are 90-100...though they could both go higher. I’ve messed around with both at 150.

Lower and flatter Le...though they are pretty excellent without it. I had an IB12 and 15 prior, and they were excellent...this is my forever sub rn.

I have a few 12s left if anyone is in the market for SBP12S with the Apollo motors.
I thought those SBP subs were designed for infinite baffle even though it says sealed. Sealed would you run it in a large sealed enclosure? I'm sure those would sound awesome but my biggest thing is would it Excel with SPL

·
Registered
814 Posts

What makes the decision between the SBP15 & the IB15AU? The IB appears to have more xmax, less money, & I think only comes with the Apollo upgrade. The SBP15 appears to get more DIYMA love though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What makes the decision between the SBP15 & the IB15AU? The IB appears to have more xmax, less money, & I think only comes with the Apollo upgrade. The SBP15 appears to get more DIYMA love though. Thoughts?
From my understanding the SBP has a stiffer suspension and more robust motor. can also handle more power. The owner of acoustic Elegance is quite found of them

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used to run the FI audio q series back in the day they were pretty good sounding subwoofers. My only issue with Fi audio is their measurements have been known to be inaccurate. would recommend those two subs 5 cubic foot sealed?
5cuft sealed would be in the right range, you could even go a little smaller if memory serves. how loud do you need, because 4 dayton ho 12"s don't need as much room as you'd think, but they can't take the power I've been talking about. SBP15 is my current dream sub, but they're low power, big box, not sure if they'd be right for you, again, depending on output desires

21 - 35 of 35 Posts