DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like Robin Williams in Moscow on the Hudson (I think that's the movie) where he comes to Amercia and is overwhelmed by the selection of coffee and falls to the floor of the supermarket saying "Coffee, coffee, coffee....."

Anyways, I have an '06 F150 crewcab. Last year I replaced the head unit and put in CDT CL61 components and a small amp (65w/ch). Sound is much improved over stock but I need a sub. I'm on a small budget and have limited space (basically confined to the space under the rear bench. Based on the recommened volumes for a sealed box I have room for either 1 10" or 2 8" subs.

Is one set up necessarily better than the other? Maybe I'd be happy with 1 8". I'm not looking for big booming bass but want to fill out the lower end of the spectrum and be able to feel it on occasion. I'll listen to just about anything but not really into rap or hip-hop. I have nothing to compare to in a car, but at home I have a 15 yo set of 2-way B&W bookshelf speakers with 8" woofers and I think those things sound great on the low end.

If I manage to squeeze in a 10" sub I don't have much clearance below the seat. How much clearance should you have below (or above) the sub to let the sound waves eminate?

I know my budget is limiting but I'd like to stay below about $120 for either 1 10 or two 8's, (I'll obsess over the amp after I pic my subs).

Could somebody point me in the right direction and feel free to recommend some subs for my application.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you could try to do a down firing 10, or even two 8's...You can pick up some sundown e8's for around $50 a piece. If all you want is some low-end, pretty much any low ported 8 or 10 could suffice. You can look through the classifieds on here and other sites

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get this box

Subwoofer Enclosures|Subwoofer Boxes|Custom|Vehicle Specific - Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab 04-08 Single Subwoofer Enclosure

toss a 10" that fits in .6cuft and youd be all set. Better off getting the 10 and lowering the volume than getting the 8" and driving it hard all the time.

Thanks, what ever I do I'll make my own box. I would either do one 10 or two 8's. Does the output just come down to cone area (2 8's is larger than 1 10). Is there a general rule of them as far as quality of sound and size goes?

I noticed that supercrewsound box leaves 1 1/4" clearance below the sub, is that good enough?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Thanks, what ever I do I'll make my own box. I would either do one 10 or two 8's. Does the output just come down to cone area (2 8's is larger than 1 10). Is there a general rule of them as far as quality of sound and size goes?

I noticed that supercrewsound box leaves 1 1/4" clearance below the sub, is that good enough?
I just think a single 10 usually plays alittle lower and would make everything easier and cheaper in the long term and provide more than enough bass in a cab truck. Unless youre really experienced in building boxes, I dont see the benefit of building a custom one when theyre availably built and finished for cheap and custom made for your truck but thats just me. Id assume 1 1/4" clearance is enough, I dont know from experience but if thats what these guys, MTX and JL uses, Id trust them.

Toss a single dayton ho 10

Parts Express:Dayton RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm

in that box or build one at .6 cuft and I cant imagine wanting more bass in a pickup.

Then get an amp that works with the dayton or whatever sub you end up with. one 10 is my suggestion.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Larger cone will usually have a lower Fs, so it will be tuned lower to start. Cone area helps too. I was never a fan of 8s unless you like tight bass and I don't, I like deep bottom I never ran under a 10 that has a hard enough time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys.

That dayton is rated at 600W RMS. How much power would you really need to make that work?

Now I see RMS is 350W - 600W is max.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Make sure the sub you pick is designed to go into a box as small as .6, some manufacturers do not recomend installing their subs in that small of an enclosure. Digital Design for example recomends at the minimum 1^ft for their 8 inch sub.

I would agree with the others to just buy the prebuilt box that fits perfectly in your truck. Yes you can do it for way less but unless you have custom built a few boxes its going to look like ass and sound like a warm turd

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I did 2 x 8s in a quad cab and had regrets not going with the 10. You get more "volume" from the dual 8s, but the 10 will go "deeper". The volumes I deem comfortable would have been better served with the 10; hence that is what I did in the hatchback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you've convinced me to go with a single 10.

That Dayton HO looks nice but I was doing a little research here and it looks like it's generally used ported.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Depending on the mounting depth, you can easily fit a 10 under there. Image Dynamics Idq10v2 or Elemental Designs 11kv.2 are some options I usually recommend. I have a 2004 F150 and managed to get 2 10s under the seat:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would agree with the others to just buy the prebuilt box that fits perfectly in your truck. Yes you can do it for way less but unless you have custom built a few boxes its going to look like ass and sound like a warm turd
I will challenge you on your second sentence, when I finish my first box ever, whenever that will be. I feel confident (until I'm done at least) that my box will be none of that.

I would never even look at a prefab box. The inards of the few that I've seen has made me sad.........................

Do your own box.

You could try any one of these:

Creative Sound Solutions SDX10 or JBL P1022. I don't know the prices though, but they will both be close to 0.6ft^3 at a Qtc in the neighborhood of 0.8.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for input.

What's the reason for firing the subs upward rather than as I see with most subs under the bench?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The dayton works very well sealed. Not everyone uses them ported but they have more output that way as all subs do.

You have a bunch of sub choices. The dayton HO is shallow enough and the best deal imo. You be fine with a bunch of other choices as well. IDQs always seem to sound good but its just not as well built of a sub.

Just run some glue and silicone around the seams of a prefab and youre fine with a single 10. Building a sealed box isnt exactly a complicated feat but I dont think its worth the effort here.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just run some glue and silicone around the seams of a prefab and youre fine with a single 10. Building a sealed box isnt exactly a complicated feat but I dont think its worth the effort here.
x2 this is what I would do. /did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts