DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like Robin Williams in Moscow on the Hudson (I think that's the movie) where he comes to Amercia and is overwhelmed by the selection of coffee and falls to the floor of the supermarket saying "Coffee, coffee, coffee....."

Anyways, I have an '06 F150 crewcab. Last year I replaced the head unit and put in CDT CL61 components and a small amp (65w/ch). Sound is much improved over stock but I need a sub. I'm on a small budget and have limited space (basically confined to the space under the rear bench. Based on the recommened volumes for a sealed box I have room for either 1 10" or 2 8" subs.

Is one set up necessarily better than the other? Maybe I'd be happy with 1 8". I'm not looking for big booming bass but want to fill out the lower end of the spectrum and be able to feel it on occasion. I'll listen to just about anything but not really into rap or hip-hop. I have nothing to compare to in a car, but at home I have a 15 yo set of 2-way B&W bookshelf speakers with 8" woofers and I think those things sound great on the low end.

If I manage to squeeze in a 10" sub I don't have much clearance below the seat. How much clearance should you have below (or above) the sub to let the sound waves eminate?

I know my budget is limiting but I'd like to stay below about $120 for either 1 10 or two 8's, (I'll obsess over the amp after I pic my subs).

Could somebody point me in the right direction and feel free to recommend some subs for my application.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you looked at any of the low-profile subs? You can get a 12" under that rear seat. I have no specific recommendations for you, even though I have the same vehicle ('05). There are several guys doing F-150's here on the forum. Search for them in the install section.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Set a budget and buy as much cone area as you can afford.

At that point you'll know what you like about the setup and you can be adjusted from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts