DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Substitute for SI BM mkIV or keep waiting?

7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  wdemetrius1 
#1 ·
I need a single sub that works in a small enclosure for my car and the Stereo Integrity BM mkIV would be perfect (or the mkIII if I could find one). Should I keep waiting or are there some other options out there? What are the thoughts on the JL 13TW5-3?

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I'd never consider Alpine in the same league as SI. Personally, I would wait. I am not of the belief that the JL you mentioned is in the same league, either. SI uses the ever awesome XBL^2 technology and will be able to have great excursion for ANY subwoofer, let alone a shallow subwoofer. The BM has comparable excursion to a JL w6...

Are the subs mentioned above total junk? No, other than perhaps the MTX, but I wouldn't pick them.

Let us know what specific constraints you are working with.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
When has MTX ever made a low-distortion sub using anything better than a motor that would have looked outdated to cavemen? There is far more to a subwoofer than flexibility of wiring...

I think their amps are okay, but at this point, I'd never run any subwoofer they've ever made.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm speaking as someone who has heard both a low-distortion and my current MTX sub. I personally prefer the later. It's not just me either, some well known people on here have heard both, and they agree with me. They have even started recommending them. To be honest, before I got the sub, I was thinking the same way as you, but when I heard them, that form of logic went out the window. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but have you heard the sub before?

#14 ·
That's the beauty of it... You don't have to understand why he likes them, he just does.

We can talk specs, numbers, price, etc, all day long.... But what matters is how he likes it.

With proper tuning, enclosure, and application most any stub can sound very nice. Maybe not perfect, but acceptable to The listener.

Why is it okay for you to prefer the sound of low distortion drivers, and not Okay for him to prefer the sound of his mtx?

His entitled to his opinion, just as you are to yours.....

#11 · (Edited)
To each his own... I have had really good success with these drivers, this year in MECA's Street Class. The results speak for them self. :cool:

#13 ·
^^

I have not heard the Kenwood's, but I have heard that they sound good. Sometimes we have to think outside of the box. In the end, "It's All About What Sounds Right."

#18 ·
It honestly truly amazing me when someone can discount a product with out ever using it or at least hearing it.

The MTX are surprising great subs. I have listen/tune a car with them installed. You would never know there was to shallow mount subs i the the back of the trunk. When you need them to pump out the street hard hitting tone they do it. When you need to to blend into you front stage they can do it. The MTX shallow mounts made a believer out of me. And I have own or used/test some the most highly re-guarded shallow mount sub ever built, SI, Alto Falstaff, Phase Linear now Mac Audio Aliante, JL TW5 just to name a few. The MTX shallow are a great value and hold their own next to standard size/depth subs in both output and control.

Don't discount them because of there Brand. Please MTX has built some outstanding drivers in the post. The old Black Gold subs where quite nice as was the 8000 series.

#21 ·
Recently installed two JLtw5's and these subs are for real. First they are the best sounding sub i have heard slim or not. Don't let the specs fool you especially max excursion. They'll take 650rms all day long. They are the equivalent in output of a 10W7 and sounds quality of a w6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.