DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I am impressed with the level of discussion on this forum so I thought I would join up and ask for a little help. It's been at least a decade since I bought a stereo system for my car and was worried my brand knowledge might be a little out of date. I'm replacing the horrible Bose system in my A4 which needs a complete overhaul so I can't afford to go overboard on the individual components. I already have an old Zapco amp that I will use to power my front speakers (when I get them). I also have an Alumapro BP-12 subwoofer (svc, 4ohm) that is surprisingly efficient. I need an amp with at least 200 watts to power the sub and would like it to have a remote gain control. The amps that I have been considering are in the $150-$200 range. Does anyone have any opinions on any of these brands that I used to be familiar with:

-MB Quart FX 1.600 or ONX 1.1000 D
-Polk PA 400.1
-Precision Power PPI S580.2
-Cadence XAH 400.1 or XAH 1200D
-Rockford Fosgate Prime R 500-1
-MTX RT 500D
-Earthquake T2000 WD/1

Or of these three that were recommended to me:
-RE DTS-1000.1
-Audioque AQ 750
-Aura RPM 2300 Stage 2

Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula
155 Posts
Your post is a bit confusing. You said that you have the Zapco to power your front speakers and subwoofer. Do you need the second amp to power your rears?

I could be wrong, but I've heard that the quality of Rockford Fosgate is not what it used to be.

When you do start looking into front speakers, I recommend that you look at Hybrid Audio Technologies. Look at some of the posts about them around here-- really interesting company.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion. I've edited so hopefully it is more clear. What I meant to say is I already have a Zapco amp which I plan to use with my front speakers. I also have the sub which is what I need the amp for. Thanks. Also thanks for the suggestion on the fronts. Speakers really seem to be a personal preference type of thing which is why I didn't ask about them. I have a couple of favorites that I was planning to choose between (Polk and ID) but I'm always open to something new. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I wouldn't buy MB Quart.

Some guys claim Aura RPM 2300 Stage 2 is underrated, and could provide up to 700watts bridged. It's cheap, but also takes up the space of two class D amplifiers, and you might not need all that power..

On interesting option is Precision Power P600.2. In bridged mode, you get 600watts at 4ohms with 14.4volts, 400watts with 12volt battery. Sonicelectronix price: $159. The amplifier is very small, less than 7x7 inches. The only downside is that you can't power a 2ohm subwoofer with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. What have you heard about MBQ that you didn't like? They werea very good company ten years ago. I suppose a lot can change in that time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks for the input. What have you heard about MBQ that you didn't like? They werea very good company ten years ago. I suppose a lot can change in that time. Thanks again.

Not sure why/how they've gone down hill, maybe cheaper quality parts? Since you have a 4 ohm svc woofer, look at rms power rating at 4 ohm. If you plan to get a ported enclosure,a adjustable sub sonic/infra filter would be nice. Have you considered buying used? You can run into a decent amp for that price range on the classifieds section.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I wouldn't buy MB Quart.

Unfortunately MB was bought out by a company "maxxsonics" I think:confused:
The real issue is they do not sound or perform like they did in the 90's...the german MBquarts...

My brother and I had a friend that competed with the original MB's and yes, those were sweet...not so much now though

some of the bigger companies that have started making great speakers could be...of course all subjective
Hertz
Focal
DynAudio
Image Dynamics (for subs at least)
JL (decent but expensive speakers)
Hybrid Audio (HAT for short...they are kicking butt)

a ton out here too!

As for amps...That's a can'o'worms too
Audison
PPI
JL
Brax
Sinfoni
Mosconi
Massive
Arc Audio
Linear Power
Tru Technology

There's a plethora (yep I said plethora) of amps out there!

I have 3 amps back up for sale in classifieds...guy never paid so they're in your price range...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/120506-fs-jl-audio-control-soundstream.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't buy MB Quart.

Unfortunately MB was bought out by a company "maxxsonics" I think:confused:
The real issue is they do not sound or perform like they did in the 90's...the german MBquarts...

My brother and I had a friend that competed with the original MB's and yes, those were sweet...not so much now though

some of the bigger companies that have started making great speakers could be...of course all subjective
Hertz
Focal
DynAudio
Image Dynamics (for subs at least)
JL (decent but expensive speakers)
Hybrid Audio (HAT for short...they are kicking butt)

a ton out here too!

As for amps...That's a can'o'worms too
Audison
PPI
JL
Brax
Sinfoni
Mosconi
Massive
Arc Audio
Linear Power
Tru Technology

There's a plethora (yep I said plethora) of amps out there!

I have 3 amps back up for sale in classifieds...guy never paid so they're in your price range...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/120506-fs-jl-audio-control-soundstream.html
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. I know how these companies sometimes get bought and sold and that can have a big influence on quality. Not being in the market for years I was worried my knowledge was out of date. PPI is starting to sound like it might be the right amp brand for me. I'm familiar with their older stuff and they still seem to make a quality amp at a very reasonable price. I will give your JL amps some thought too. I've had JL subs before and know they make a quality product and your price seems fair. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula
155 Posts
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. I know how these companies sometimes get bought and sold and that can have a big influence on quality. Not being in the market for years I was worried my knowledge was out of date. PPI is starting to sound like it might be the right amp brand for me. I'm familiar with their older stuff and they still seem to make a quality amp at a very reasonable price. I will give your JL amps some thought too. I've had JL subs before and know they make a quality product and your price seems fair. Thanks again.
That's kind of what I was trying to do in suggesting that you look into the HAT speakers. I should have realized that you were looking for amp brands-- I mean, seeing as to how that's in your title and everything. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i vote aq750. i have the 1200 and its still going strong with 0 problems and has remote gain knob.

AQ750 Amplifier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts