DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read reviews about baskets cracking from the weight of the motor assembly with some subs such as the Orion HCCA's. I've heard they need to be mounted facing upwards to relieve stress. Is this common on subs with heavy motor assemblies? Ibe always mounted my subs like this anyway, but I'm considering 18's in my extended cab silverado and simply won't be able to fit them in on top. They will have to be mounted facing forward because the box will go to the roof

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
if a basket breaks or is known for breaking under it's own weight, for the love of god, don't buy it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not buying that. I'm just wondering if it happens to other brands. And for the record, I've only heard of 2 cases about it happening on the HCCA's. Basically just wondering if its beneficial to the life of the sub to mount it from the top

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had always thought they recommend them to be mounted upwards because when long excursion suspension (with high mass cones) fatigues after time gravity would cause a VC to go out of center.

Its hard for me to believe a sub manufacture would not do basic FEA on frames and build them accordingly to assure they would be stable EVEN with shock loads.
If they didnt....shame on them.

~JH

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know some spl guys that have broken baskets. I've heard too small of a cutout contributed to them breaking.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be willing to be it's doing more with an actual solid connection... to a flexing surface (baffle)
In that case, would 3/4" MDF be sufficient with proper bracing?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
In that case, would 3/4" MDF be sufficient with proper bracing?
If you're worried about this then I assume you're going to be running a lot of power. I recommend 3/4" for everything but the baffle. For the baffle, use 1" or 2x3/4". To brace the magnet, you can either make a semi-circle for it to rest on or you can cut out the size of the magnet. I would make the cut-out just a little bit oversized and use some weatherstripping or something; I wouldn't want to get rattling between the magnet and the brace.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
2 cases out of THOUSANDS of THOUSANDS...

why are you waisting our time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
2 cases out of THOUSANDS of THOUSANDS...

why are you waisting our time...
I found this subject interesting, and not a waste of time at all. I came across it as I wanted to see if anyone was running into subwoofer basket flexing, rather than breaking as has supposedly happened here.

I was thinking that possibly a coil and former rubbing problem could be caused by inadequate baffling, and also by some flexing due to magnet weight as suggested prior.

I just moved some subs to a new box with one inch mdf fronts from 3/4 inch and I believe I had this problem and now it seems to be solved so far.

Thanks for the interesting comments from all the contributors and thanks to the above person for wasting our time with his wasting time comment. :)

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
3 year old threads seem to be popular, this evening..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Obviously they are still being read a lot, hence your post two seconds after mine LOL. Thanks for your excellent contribution to the thread, Mr Runner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts