DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my JL Audio 12W3 to a JL Audio 12W6. The 12W3 was in a ported box built by a local shop. The dimensions are 17.5"x13"x16" (WxHxD) and the port is 2.5" wide 11.5" high and 11.75" deep. With my amplifier settings all set at stock still and my head unit at 0 for subwoofer EQ it was producing great bass. When I purchased the 12W6 I decided I would make my own box and build it to the JL recomended specs which is 26.25"x14"x13" (WxHxD), and the port dimensions are 1.5" wide, 12.5" high, and 10.75" deep with a 16" extension. With this sub I am using factory settings on the amplifier, but to produce the same bass as the 12W3 did I have to turn the subwoofer EQ up to +15 on the head unit. I do not see why this is, seeing as it is a better subwoofer in a box built to JL's specs, but many people say it is the port width and I somewhat agree. Can anyone out there confirm this for me and possibly help me design a box that brings the 12W6 to its full potential. I have been searching the internet for a program that will design a box for me, but I have had no luck.

Any help is appreciated,
Nick

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you built the port did you use the dimensions given for the inside of the port, or the outside?

Double check your measurements.
I know its a PITA but you can experiment with port dimensions.

Have you given the sub time to break in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubled checked all of my dimensions, and they are correct according to what JL's website specifies. I used the inside port width dimension because that is the dimension they gave on the website, but that did have me thinking for a second becuse 2.75" sounds much more reasonable. Testing different port sizes is my last resort. If I can find something or someone that can help me get it right the first time, so I don't have to spend too much time and money on just the box.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I have had the subwoofer for about 4 months now, but thats about as long as I had the 12W3 for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about going with sealed, but I wanted to get as much bass as possible because I'm getting good mids and high from my two pairs of C5s. If I do build a sealed box is it still going to produce as much bass as it will in a good ported box?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Using manufacturer enclosure specs, the W6 is not to going to perform any better than a W3 without giving it more power.

plug the specs into WinISD and see for yourself:

LinearTeam

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Using manufacturer enclosure specs, the W6 is not to going to perform any better than a W3 without giving it more power.

plug the specs into WinISD and see for yourself:

LinearTeam

X2. I find that JL Audio's recommended subwoofer enclosures tend to miss the mark, by a HUGE margin!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is also more power I forgot to mention that. The W3 was powered by a pioneer GM-D7500M, and the W6 is powered by an alpine mrp-m1000:

·
Registered
898 Posts
GO SEALED!

I had the box to ported built it myself to JL spec and then I did sealed to 1.5 and 1.25 cubic feet The 1.5 did SO good I decided to build a box for both my 12w6v2's with full on bracing. Just do 1.5 sealed and don't look back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im really thinking about it, but 1.5 cubic feet with bracing means its gonna be pretty big and idk about sealed boxes because I don't have any experience with them. Do they make as good and clear of bass as ported boxes do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chaos, before I posted this I downloaded WinISD to check it, but the program would not work on my computer for some reason no matter where I downloaded it from.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
12w6 will have better everything then the 12w3 just need more power,

turn hu settings to flat and the amp gains up

*flame suit on*

and there are no factory settings for an amp, you have to set them :)

I recently upgraded my JL Audio 12W3 to a JL Audio 12W6. The 12W3 was in a ported box built by a local shop. The dimensions are 17.5"x13"x16" (WxHxD) and the port is 2.5" wide 11.5" high and 11.75" deep. With my amplifier settings all set at stock still and my head unit at 0 for subwoofer EQ it was producing great bass. When I purchased the 12W6 I decided I would make my own box and build it to the JL recomended specs which is 26.25"x14"x13" (WxHxD), and the port dimensions are 1.5" wide, 12.5" high, and 10.75" deep with a 16" extension. With this sub I am using factory settings on the amplifier, but to produce the same bass as the 12W3 did I have to turn the subwoofer EQ up to +15 on the head unit. I do not see why this is, seeing as it is a better subwoofer in a box built to JL's specs, but many people say it is the port width and I somewhat agree. Can anyone out there confirm this for me and possibly help me design a box that brings the 12W6 to its full potential. I have been searching the internet for a program that will design a box for me, but I have had no luck.

Any help is appreciated,
Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 12W6 is getting 600W RMS @ 4 ohms and the 12W3 was getting 200W RMS @ 4 ohms, and by factory I meant whatever the settings were when I took the amp out of the box. I turn the hu flat and try to play with the gain and such.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=4

12w6 is dual 4 ohm, so you either connect it for 2 ohm or 8 ohm.

there is no 4 ohms with a 12w6. it has 2 coils, each coil is 4 ohms, each coil must be connected.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

your amp will do 1000 watts @ 2 ohms

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pp2adsqp3zv/p_500MRP1000/Alpine-MRP-M1000.html

this is good news, once you get things wired correctly,

its gona be L.O.U.D.

be careful, you can blow chit up and start fires if your not careful

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
how did u set the gain? if u built the box to jl specs its fine. so its a setting, and lots of times its the gain. and it will be

there is no way with the power, and boxes u described that the 12w3 would be in any way louder.

and sealed might sound good, might sound better, but it will NOT be louder than a ported box.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry 60ndown you're right I did wire it at 2 ohms 1000 watts. So you guys don't think it has anything to do with the box and I should just play with the amp settings?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
any song is fine, but ideally u want a really low and really hard hitting song to stress the sub. that way u dont set it up to play country really hard, then u play rap and it clips, distorts, or ruins the sub.

if u built the box right, and sealed it up, its likely the gain. where is ur LPF at?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts