DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few questions for you folks out there that build woofers either by trade or for fun.

Here's my situation, I've got a Fosgate P2D410 basket and a Kicker SoloBaric L7 motor I'm going to be mating these two pieces soon and I'm wondering if yall could point me in the right direction when it comes to things like cone height, cone mass, and a few other things related to that.

Also, on a side note, does anyone know for sure if the replacement coils for the L7 are the same throughout their generations. My L7 seems to be an 08+ model with a 2.5 inch coil. I've found replacements but I want to get a little confirmation before purchasing.

I'll get specific with the questioning if I get a reply or two. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Some of the L7's had undersized 2" coils (1.96"), some had regular sized 2" coils (2.015"), some had 2.38" coils, and some had 2.58" coils. It also depends on what size sub the motor came from. You'll have to measure their ID with a caliper.

Is your motor the one with a darker flat finish and a "S" solobaric logo in place of a pole vent, or smooth polished finish with a small pole vent?

A lot of the L7 motors I've got my hands on luckily had the standard 6 x 5" mounting pattern so all the aftermarket baskets will bolt up to it, but you will need to make sure the rockford basket has the same bolt pattern. If not, you will either end up drilling new holes in the basket or drilling and tapping the top plate on the motor. Both of those will require shimming the ID of the basket mounting flange to the pole so that it's centered.

The only other thing I can suggest is avoid stiff spiders and cones with stiff surrounds. I'd put a single soft spider in it. You can also use cones with smaller necks and just cut the neck out to fit your voice coil.

Ultra audio on ebay has a buttload of cool soft parts to choose from.
ultra_audio_1 on eBay

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My L7 motor is the darker gray model without the pole vent and I did a rough measurement with a tape measure and I'm almost positive it needs a 2.58 coil. I'll find a caliper and make sure though.

The Rockford needs quite a bit of cutting work to fit and I was concerned with getting it center. I'll take it slow and try to get it right. If anything new basket that is meant for the motor is cheap but I like to keep things super cheap and DIY :)

I have another question, will any old 2.58 or so voice coil work? There's a site that has coils and all kinds of other stuff for a decent price but now that I look at the coils the smallest outer diameter coil is 2.61...

2.5" voice coil spiders in serveral materials and sizes

Let me know what you think and thanks a bunch for the info and site recommendation.

I need to get my hands on a caliper at this point.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And if you happen to know, what was the factory wind height of the L7 coil? Mine was fried up when I got it and I couldn't measure it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I can't remember what the stock L7 winding height is, but the aftermarket 2.58" coils will fit depending on the OD. You'll need to measure your gap OD to see which ones will fit. The other sized 2.5" coils with ID's smaller than 2.58 will not fit.

The site you linked to is the same outfit I linked to.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and invest in a cheap new 12 spoke basket since everything will be standard (mounting pattern, spider diameter, etc). It will make the learning curve for sub building easier.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh the ID needs to be 2.58, I thought that was the OD I was looking for lol. Thanks, and yeah I think you might be right, an aftermarket basket might be a better choice. Let me see what I can do with the Rockford first, the basket has a lot of material, I could just drill out my own 5x6 pattern onto it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts