DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using the JL 12w6v2 and I like it. I want to do a new install and I'm considering a 10" to make life a bit easier (saves me from cutting carpet and other stuff in the car.

I've never used a 10" before so I have a few questions. I would have two in a sealed box, ~0.8 cu.ft. (each fiberglass box) with 500 watts to each.

1) would i lose a lot of the low bass power?
2) which 10" do you recommend? (SQ) It would have to be max 8" deep

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless you are trying to max out SPL, I can't imagine that a pair of tens with 1000 watts behind them wouldn't provide plenty of low end in a SQ system.

I haven't heard any new subs in awhile so I can't help much with the second question.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You have posted three threads and all of them can be answered by searching.

#1 You did not state if your 12w6 is ported or sealed or how many watts are on it. Those will facts will play a large part in answering your questions.

#2 It's all subjective. It seems what I found when searching for a SQ sub was that, IDQ, Adire Koda's, FI Q, Alumapro Alchemy, JL 10w6, and Morel Ultimo where highly regarded 10's by different people. If you could keep a 12", add SI Mag and DIYMA to that list and I think you have lots of options to buy and try. Remember, it's subjective.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
You could do a Dayton HO12 in that size (.8ft3) enclosure.

I'm thinking about doing 2 HO 12's in about 1.5 ft3. enclosure.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Car Stereo Pro Catalog: Image Dynamics IDMAX 10 D2 V3 DUAL 2 OHM

Quote>

"Even at the lowest fundamental frequencies the IDMAX effortlessly reproduces the music faithfully with transient detail and tonal accuracy that is the result of very low harmonic distortion.

The IDMAX conquers or MAX-imizes all of the above difficulties. The IDMAX has 90.5% more linear displacement than an IDQ V.2 while it’s moving mass is over 20 grams lower.:eek:
Quote>
Quote :

I have been looking at the JL Audio 12W6 and the Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 . I have heard these two subs are the best sounding subs out on the market.

Quote :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HO Link?

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They don't need to be cheap but they need to be tonaly accurate and be able to go loud. BTW what's the difference between Dayton's HO and HF?

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I think the High Fidelity needs a bigger box than the High Output;)

quote>
Choose the high fidelity version for home systems when you are looking for clean, low bass and are not restricted by cabinet size.
quote>

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Can't believe I forgot the Dayton HO in my list. I was considering that sub until I came across an IDQ for cheaper and won the DIYMA to try out.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...0-first-impressions-paging-matdotcom2000.html

quoted from this thread ^^^^ :eek:

My last sub was an RE SE 12 ported at 27hz, which was loud but not very SQ oriented. I can say the IDMAX10 in a sealed box has more ouput than the SE12 in a sealed box.

quoted>:)

Yeah, I read that, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a sealed 10" has more output than a ported SE12. I ran a SE12 ported so I know how loud it can get, and I also know how good it can sound when tuned right. You can't defy that laws of physics no matter if it says ID on it or not.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I've seen a 12 inch wup ass on a 15 inch :eek:

IDMAX -vs- JL
I can believe that. But when you take a high output 10" (ID Max) sealed vs another high output 12" (RE SE) ported, the bigger driver ported wins everytime assuming equal power and excluding some ultra high efficient driver against an ultra low efficiency driver.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...0-first-impressions-paging-matdotcom2000.html

quoted from this thread ^^^^ :eek:

My last sub was an RE SE 12 ported at 27hz, which was loud but not very SQ oriented. I can say the IDMAX10 in a sealed box has more ouput than the SE12 in a sealed box.

quoted>:)
I can believe that. But when you take a high output 10" (ID Max) sealed vs another high output 12" (RE SE) ported, the bigger driver ported wins everytime assuming equal power and excluding some ultra high efficient driver against an ultra low efficiency driver.
They were both in sealed boxes ;)

Try rereading.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts