DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab sport
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve read that birchwood is the best material to use for subwoofer enclosures but idk where the line is drawn. If done right can abs or other materials sound as good?
The options I’m considering.
I’m looking at adding a 2nd WM 10 sub to the rear of my truck. My current enclosure is made of birchwood sealed and sounds excellent however I’m looking at a couple sites Fox Acoustics in particular for a custom to my truck fitted enclosure to fit along the back wall flushed for 2 10s that so happens to have perfect air space for the 2 WM10s. My biggest worry is that although I’ve heard Dean and Fernando as well as others brag about Fox Acoustics enclosures is that there box is made of ABS plastic in the install that I watched them do in the last Tacoma from fox acoustics although I’ve emailed fox to ask what materials are used bc the pictures on website look like a wood material to me. They seem to be very reputable and build very nice sounding enclosures. $310 is cost from Fox which isn’t a concern but that’s info to share as well. 2016-UP Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab 2-10"

I’m not considering the mti enclosure bc it’s made for shallow subs or up to 3.5” such as the JL tw3 or tw5 etc and I’ve been that route. The WM sounds twice as good imo and I’m keeping it WM

On the other hand I know the guy who’s built my last two enclosures does a great job but he takes a while to deliver since he’s a one man show. Would I be better off having a separate box built of birchwood with same specs to fit my passenger rear of truck or does anybody have any experience with the fox acoustics enclosures? Here is a pic of the current enclosures quality I’m using for reference and this is built with .75ft3 air space which is perfect for the WM10s
Wood Rectangle Beige Tints and shades Hardwood
Rectangle Wood Art Flooring Font

Reactions: skonopik

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,519 Posts
I think Fox uses MDF and sprays the outside with bed liner. Your Mr Marv box is well made! He doesn't do one similar to the Fox box for 2 subs?

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
He does do a similar one I’m just trying to setup a tune with audio x in Florence. Also I’d hate to scrap another enclosure bc they don’t seem to sale used or be worth selling after shipping them especially when they’re made to fit one vehicle. I’ve still got a perfectly custom made Tacoma 12” birchwood sitting on the shelf in the shop with .85ft3 that I can’t get rid of unless I want to give it away basically. Marv does great work he’s just taken at least a couple months for the two enclosures I’ve gotten from him so far.
Also I agree that’s what the fox box seems to be made of but watching 5star car stereo last install in Tacoma they put a fox Box in that truck and said was made of ABS plastic on rear

@DaveG what do you think of your mini dsp with DL? I’m so sick of tuning and frustrated as hell with it lol I read in another post where you made the switch

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,519 Posts
Never embraced the minidsp. Hated the software and had a hard time getting help so I ditched it. Those who like it. love it! Re-did my whole system and am running an Ultra these days. And it sounds killer! Steve Cook can't make you a box?

Reactions: Clvol1255

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Its dependent on how its used. An all ABS enclosure that is thick enough to not resonate would be insanely expensive. Fox acoustics also, from what I remember, only uses ABS on a small section of their enclosures. It is what I would consider thin, but probably fine since its such a small area. Worst case, add some bracing/deadening.

· Registered
2,014 Posts
I've installed many Fox acoustics boxes. They're wood, sometimes with abs or metal panels directly behind the sub opening for more motor clearance.
That was how I understood them to be. A small cut out, replaced by a formed ABS insert, to add clearance behind the magnet.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never embraced the minidsp. Hated the software and had a hard time getting help so I ditched it. Those who like it. love it! Re-did my whole system and am running an Ultra these days. And it sounds killer! Steve Cook can't make you a box?
So the ultra made that big of a difference for you?

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,519 Posts
So the ultra made that big of a difference for you?
No I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying new amps, 10 new speakers, the Ultra and a tune with a $1000 minidsp mic array and a very talented buddy made that big of a difference! I know you have a truck so n/a but trunk baffle subs where probably the biggest game changer. Let me just say I don’t think I’ll ever do another enclosure!!! And 250 watts to each ZR800 didn’t hurt either!

Reactions: vectrasoundz

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I’ve gotta say my mid bass and sub sound great it’s my mid range and tweeter area that I feel is missing a little detail in my system and I’ve got a feeling it’s likely phase issues and levels. It’s definitely tune. My mids and Highs have sounded a lot better than they do at the moment. I’ve screwed something up

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Auto part Electronic device
I don’t really wanna drop a grand on a mic but I’m considering this one. I’ve got the audio frog and mini dsp umik 1 and 2. Maybe I should sell them all and put it toward the big one

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,519 Posts
I know what equipment you have and it’s all top notch. Whatever issue you’re not happy with it’s not equipment related. Mic array is killer! No sitting in the car waving the mic all over the place and I also feel the imaging is not so head placement sensitive.

Reactions: Clvol1255

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Certainly not equipment. Just found a big problem. RCA in headunit on right side was loose and signal was in and out. Problem solved the mids and highs are definitely back but I’m still wanting it professionally tuned. ive had it a lot closer than it currently is and i know it can get better. Cant decide if id rather put a grand toward the mic or just go with mini dsp with Dirac

· Registered
1,010 Posts
2 things matter for sub enclosure material, stiffness (which can be worked around during construction) and density. dense platics can work, thick plastic can work, mdf can work, birch is actually on the lower end for density, but stiff, hdf can work, hardwoods work great and make you look like a [email protected]

· Registered
420 Posts
Certainly not equipment. Just found a big problem. RCA in headunit on right side was loose and signal was in and out. Problem solved the mids and highs are definitely back but I’m still wanting it professionally tuned. ive had it a lot closer than it currently is and i know it can get better. Cant decide if id rather put a grand toward the mic or just go with mini dsp with Dirac
If you decide to go with the Dirac unit there are a bunch of us using it now and a large number who are willing to help out. Once you get the hang of the software and general process then it's really quick to do an entirely new tune or tweak your house curve. I've been very happy with Dirac and the ability to try out a completely different house curve in a matter of minutes, not hours.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you decide to go with the Dirac unit there are a bunch of us using it now and a large number who are willing to help out. Once you get the hang of the software and general process then it's really quick to do an entirely new tune or tweak your house curve. I've been very happy with Dirac and the ability to try out a completely different house curve in a matter of minutes, not hours.
Thanks bro!

Reactions: squiers007
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.