DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just replaced the factory subwoofer in my son’s 2001 Jeep Wrangler. To get any bass out of it we have to move the speaker balance either left of right. Could this be a wiring issue at the radio?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
It sounds like you used a stereo signal, and wired it out of phase. How is the sub wired? Was it just plug and play from the OEM sub?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you used a stereo signal, and wired it out of phase. How is the sub wired? Was it just plug and play from the OEM sub?
It was oem plug and play. We installed a new head unit a while back, maybe something got crossed up back there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was oem plug and play. We installed a new head unit a while back, maybe something got crossed up back there?
What kind of woofer did you purchase and what amplifier is pushing it, stock or aftermarket? Stock speaker is a 2ohm DVC, and I believe the amp is rated at 1ohm and 70 watts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of woofer did you purchase and what amplifier is pushing it, stock or aftermarket? Stock speaker is a 2ohm DVC, and I believe the amp is rated at 1ohm and 70 watts.
The replacement subwoofer is from Quadratec - it’s the only aftermarket plug and play speaker with the factory setup. It’s rated at 200W. Is it possible that it’s just not getting enough power unless the speakers are balanced to one side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry and it’s still the factory amp. Everything between the radio and subwoofer is factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The replacement subwoofer is from Quadratec - it’s the only aftermarket plug and play speaker with the factory setup. It’s rated at 200W. Is it possible that it’s just not getting enough power unless the speakers are balanced to one side?
Sorry - it’s still the factory amp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That Quadratec speaker does require you to add terminals to the factory wires. There are four, two positive and two negative. Did you connect the wires properly per the instructions? Looks like the two positive wires are (1) black and (2) grey and the two negatives are (1) red and (2) orange, but double check the Quadratec instructions.

Also, make sure the terminals are tightly secured to the speaker.

I believe this to be your issue, so check that out and report back.

Also, there is a great forum you should join,. WranglerTJforum.com. This is a specific forum to your Wrangler, and mine as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That Quadratec speaker does require you to add terminals to the factory wires. There are four, two positive and two negative. Did you connect the wires properly per the instructions? Looks like the two positive wires are (1) black and (2) grey and the two negatives are (1) red and (2) orange, but double check the Quadratec instructions.

Also, make sure the terminals are tightly secured to the speaker.

I believe this to be your issue, so check that out and report back.

Also, there is a great forum you should join,. WranglerTJforum.com. This is a specific forum to your Wrangler, and mine as well.
I’ll double check that everything is secured tightly on the terminals. I did hook up all 4 terminals - the wires were in pairs from the factory and made it easy to connect the new subwoofer. Thanks for the heads up on the TJ forum - I’ll check that out for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ll double check that everything is secured tightly on the terminals. I did hook up all 4 terminals - the wires were in pairs from the factory and made it easy to connect the new subwoofer. Thanks for the heads up on the TJ forum - I’ll check that out for sure.
Just make sure that the negative and positive wires were not flip-flopped as I think that is the issue.

It sounds like the woofer is out of phase, like @gijoe mentioned above, which is the positive and negative wires being flip flopped, and since this is a dual voice coil speaker it could just be one side, or both sides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just make sure that the negative and positive wires were not flip-flopped as I think that is the issue.

It sounds like the woofer is out of phase, like @gijoe mentioned above, which is the positive and negative wires being flip flopped, and since this is a dual voice coil speaker it could just be one side, or both sides.
Thanks for all the help skrelnik!

I'll double check everything tonight when I get home. Each side of the speaker and wires had a big and little terminal and post. I plugged little to little and big to big on each side; is it possible that they are wrong from the factory?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts