DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.
I've just purchased a 2010 JDM Honda Odyssey and I'm in the process of planning the system for it.

Gear already purchased includes a Clarion HX-D2, Audible Physics XR3M wide band drivers, Seas L16RNSL mid basses, an Infinity Perfect 10VQ, Pheonix Gold Titanium amps (the original ones), and a few other bits and pieces.

The car is essentially a cross between a people mover (it has 7 seats) and a station wagon. the cabin is totally open from the passenger cabin right back to and including the trunk area.

I have two options for where I mount the sub:

1. Between the front passenger and driver seat, facing into the side of one of the seats. Space is tight but the sub will be going into a sealed 0.5 - 0.75cu ft sealed box. This will require more effort to install because of the small area between the seats. The sub grill would end up being about 1" away from the side squab of the passenger seat - enough room to breath - just!

2. Flush mounted in the floor of the trunk space right up the back of the car. This'll allow a little more space (which I really don't need) but will mean that the third row of seats will no longer have a cavity to fold into (they'll still fold forward but not down into the floor).

I've done the recessed trunk sub installation thing before in a wagon and I know it can work really well if tuned right (less than or equal to 60Hz low pass, but still struggling to get up front bass even with no high pass on the mid basses in the doors, and diminished system dynamics).

The point of this thread is that I'm wanting to know what the possible advantages would be to mounting the sub up front between the front seats.

Maybe a higher low pass point for the sub?
Stronger up front bass dynamics and feel?
Not pushing the midbasses so hard?
Maybe a higher high pass point on the midbasses?
Anything else?

Any draw backs?
Lack of absolute bottom end extension?
Anything else?

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Seems like you got it covered. It's really just a personal thing now.
Me i would go for the front console just because you never know when you will need those seats to just out of the way.
As long as you get the tuning right i love the way subs up front blend with the mids.
Makes it hella easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would go with option 1 and time align the sub to bring the bass up front and center. That's how I got it in my truck and makes the bass very transparent and blends well with the midbass. And that allows you to maximize the cargo space in the rear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the Clarion head unit is the same as the North American DRZ-9255 I think it is.
So it's full of time alignment and parametric eq goodness.

And imo, probably still the best heady on the market from a musicality point of view.

I reckon I'll be able to prop up the 20Hz - 40Hz end of things if with a band of eq if it needs it because the sub's next to me rather than being 3 - 4 metres away.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tima4h, that's the plan my friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts