DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hands on some sundown 12s after helping a neighbor with some work around the house. I think they are the SA series. No markings on the back of the magnet.

One of them has something rattling around in it. Sounds like it is all the way at the dust cap. I shook it around but nothing is falling out. Perhaps a screw??? (Hopefully). I don’t want to put power to it and risk damage.

Continuity checks out on both voice coils and they both come in at 3.8 ohms. No sign of physical damage.

I’m wondering what the best approach is to finding the rattling piece. Do I remove the dust cap? Is there another way to get in there to see what it is?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the rattling happen when you shake the sub? I had rattling noise on a sub but it was due to a loose dust cap. Rattling only occurs when playing. Glued the dust cap tight and the rattling went away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sub is out of the box. When I shake it around I can hear something rattling inside. When I hold it upside down and put my ear close to the cone/dust cap it sounds like it is there. When I place my hand on the dust cap, it still rattles but the tone changes. I haven’t put power to it yet to see how it sounds. I thought maybe it was a screw or something but after looking at pictures, I’m not sure one could have gotten into the dust cap area.

Ill double check the cap but it seemed tightly sealed all around.

Is it possible for small screws or anything else to get under the dust cap from outside? Or did something come loose from under the dust cap that was supposed to be there? Tinsel lead broken?

edited spelling error above

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to go ahead and cut the dust cap off. I tried to get the adhesive part between the cap and cone. I fear I may have ended it all with the blade going through the cone in a few parts.
I spent a long time being careful and ruined it anyway so I decided to full send and just cut the dust cap itself. Here is a picture of the findings. Other than broken plastic that says “sundown audio,” any idea what this was or if it is needed? Can I glue the old cap back on and run it?

also, how do I handle the cuts in the cone? Can I just use the E6000 on it? Or is it shot?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Perhaps those plastic pieces are used for alignment during assembly, and were accidentally left in there. Should work fine just gluing the dust cap back on and gluing any minor cone cuts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of plastics left within! The E6000 should be able to "heal" your cuts. Just take note to let them dry for 48hrs (to achieve max strength) before you power up the sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was shocked that that much stuff would be in there. The guy who had these before me rocked them out in a regular cab truck with a box that went from cab to bed. Probably had them so loud he didn’t notice the rattle from everything else shaking.

Since I wasn’t able to remove the cap where it attaches to the cone, am I still able to glue the cap back at the cut points? Is there another product I should use besides E6000 for that or should I wait until I can get my hands on a proper replacement?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was shocked that that much stuff would be in there. The guy who had these before me rocked them out in a regular cab truck with a box that went from cab to bed. Probably had them so loud he didn’t notice the rattle from everything else shaking.

Since I wasn’t able to remove the cap where it attaches to the cone, am I still able to glue the cap back at the cut points? Is there another product I should use besides E6000 for that or should I wait until I can get my hands on a proper replacement?
Yeah, I'd probably use something more thick / viscous such as silicone to re-attach that dust cap. As suggested above, if you can find a slightly larger dust cap, that would be a cleaner and perhaps even simpler option. You might contact Simply Speakers and see if they can hook you up with a suitable dust cap: Contact Us

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah silicone would just tear right off. E6000 or rubberized CA glue is what should go on those.

Also, simply speakers isn't going to carry heavy duty basshead sub dustcaps, you will want to visit thelordofbass.com for one. I think he even carries dustcaps exclusively for Sundown subs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips. I checked both sites. Looks like that is the winner. The size I need is out of stock. I assume it’s the poly. Would using carbon fiber change anything? If I did use that should I do the other sub (for sound and performance reasons, not aesthetics). Looks like a 5.1” is what I need. I’ll remeasure with a piece of paper later but eyeballing the tape measure looked like it was a little under 5”.
I put E6000 where I sliced the cone. Appears to be holding well. Going to give it another 24 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same exact problem you are having. I looked through the magnet cavity of my SA-10 v.2 Sundown, and I can see the circular plastic piece moving around behind the dust cap. My question is, have you found out what this plastic piece does? and were you able to put the dust cover back on, and the sub work fine after? I tried calling Sundown, to see if this piece is important as I do not see it in any of the videos of people re-coning or building their sundown, so I am a bit confused as to what this piece is/does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you contact Sundown about this or just post on the internet?
I called Sundown multiple times never got an answer. I then send them an email and still waiting on a response. I then searched all over the web and this was the only forum that had a thread with a similar situation as mine.

I ended up removing the dust cap off to find that sundown puts a plastic cover over their coil which I find it weird, as I looked at over 20 videos of people building Sundown as well as the company and I never seen them speak or show this cap. The sub work just fine its just the cap you can see it has adhesive around it. I guess with the heat and the sub playing it just blew it off. I just don't know if I should put the cap back on or leave it off at this point. I will wait for Sundown to email me back before I put the dust cap on, as I am not sure what to do at this point with this piece because if it came off once that means it can happen again but I don't want to keep removing layers of the cone. I will post some pictures below so you guys have a better idea.

Automotive tire Rim Audio equipment Automotive design Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Gas Rim Motor vehicle Auto part
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Fluid

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,454 Posts
I called Sundown multiple times never got an answer. I then send them an email and still waiting on a response. I then searched all over the web and this was the only forum that had a thread with a similar situation as mine.

I ended up removing the dust cap off to find that sundown puts a plastic cover over their coil which I find it weird, as I looked at over 20 videos of people building Sundown as well as the company and I never seen them speak or show this cap. The sub work just fine its just the cap you can see it has adhesive around it. I guess with the heat and the sub playing it just blew it off. I just don't know if I should put the cap back on or leave it off at this point. I will wait for Sundown to email me back before I put the dust cap on, as I am not sure what to do at this point with this piece because if it came off once that means it can happen again but I don't want to keep removing layers of the cone. I will post some pictures below so you guys have a better idea.

View attachment 348349 View attachment 348350 View attachment 348351

Don't get your hopes up with them contacting you. I've tried many times and gave up. Called and left msgs, emails and nothing. I had bought the equipment from D4S and they responded to the my email but didn't have answers for my questions. Maybe try their social media pages, that's how some one here helped me get in contact with Adire when I couldn't. I don't have social media so I didn't even think to that way. I'm probly the only 36yo that has never had Facebook or Instagram.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts