DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
Again, still working on my CRV 2012 audio project, and today is about the subwoofer size.
I´m actually running an Arc 8D2 subwoofer (2 ohm dual voice coils ArcAudio) at 4 ohms on a sealed enclosure of 0.35 cuft and sounds nice on the trunk firing up but.... only if you are parked! ´Cause when you are on the road you are just like... :surprised: where is my sub?
So I've decided to make an upgrade... Working with an XDi 805 arc audio 5 channel amp, with a 400 watt (2 ohm) or 240 watt (4 ohm) channel for my subwoofer, I have two options:
1. Image Dynamics ID12 D4 (12 inch, 2 4 ohm voice coils) running at 2 ohms.
2. Arc Audio Black 10 D 4 (10 inch , 2 4 ohm voice coils) running at 2 ohms.

The general question is about Size vs. Top Hi-End

What I would like on my sound system is:
1. less boom, more humm
2. Not sub loosing on the road
3. Sound quality

I feel lost, what do you suggest?

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
What sort of volume/dimensions do you have to work with for the enclosure? I would actually lean more toward the ID12D4 over the Black 10, just because I believe the Black 10 will want quite a bit more power than your XDi805 has on tap.

If you have the space, a large sealed enclosure or a ported enclosure tuned low (<30Hz) would probably get you closest to the results you desire.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing... I have only about 1 cuft (with lots of work and imagination) because I need the space on my trunk and I'm using the small place in the tire (along with the tire) for my sub.
I was also thinking in a rainbow 10 or 12 (small enclosure needs and mounting depth).
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the Rainbow subwoofers, so I can't say. Have you considered the IDQ from Image Dynamics? Or perhaps the Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IDQ would be the best, but have a limited mounting depth (I'll see tonight my total installation depth).
About Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine, I've never heard of them, but I´m on the site and they seem to be amazing, but hard to find!

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woow!! I think I was looking the IDMax depth, but IDQ is a perfect fit for me. And just 1 cuft!!! Thanks!!!
But going back to the original question???
What do you think is better??
Size vs. upgraded version
(ie. ID 12 vs IDMax 10)
Running the same power

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
I think you'll get more output from the ID12, but I think the IDQ 10V3 might be the better choice.

I would skip the IDQ 10 V4 all together. It looks like a completely different subwoofer from the V3 and I don't think it will perform nearly as well. Others with more experience in the ID lineup might offer better opinions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, size/cost/enclosure.. I'll go for IDQ12 4 ohm but... V3 and V4 seem very much the same on the specs. Do you think there are a significant difference between them?

BTW: now I have the word I was looking to describe my need for a bigger size: "presence". I need a 12 to sing, not an 8 to shout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.