DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a 10" mb quart PWE subwoofer, it was one of those subs that crutchfield was clearing out a few months back.

upon inspection of this sub I noticed that the suspension is super duper stiff with a super stiff spring like suspension.

Not only is it super stiff, it seems to be "pressurized" outward away from the magnet.

I don't see how this sub can get goiing with anything less than a real 600 watts rms of amplifier power.

what are the characteristics of subs like this ? why would a manufacturer-designer decide to make a subwoofer with such a stiff suspension ? what are the pro's ? the con's ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
npdang said:
Small box size, raising fs.
what about some of the JL subwoofers? some of them are loose as a goose, the older JL w6 v.1 was loose as a whore's ***** :) and these are small box subs.

how do u explain that ?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
mikemareen said:
what about some of the JL subwoofers? some of them are loose as a goose, the older JL w6 v.1 was loose as a whore's ***** :) and these are small box subs.

how do u explain that ?
The JL's aren't really what I would term a "small box" sub. The older round solobaric's would be a better example of a small box sub.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I bought a sub and it came in almost exactly like how you described. I thought it was a sub with a really stiff suspension too. Little did I know, the motor/magnet was misaligned during shipping (no apparent damage to the sub). It's now somewhere in the backyard.
My suggestion, put that sub in a temp. box and feed some power to it to make sure it's working.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sqkev said:
I bought a sub and it came in almost exactly like how you described. I thought it was a sub with a really stiff suspension too. Little did I know, the motor/magnet was misaligned during shipping (no apparent damage to the sub). It's now somewhere in the backyard.
My suggestion, put that sub in a temp. box and feed some power to it to make sure it's working.
It is working, I hooked it up last night.

it is definitely not mis-aligned.

·
Registered
757 Posts
ok, so how does the DIYMA sub have small box requirements AND a low Fs? Or did I misread your first post as to the tradeoffs?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
edwelly said:
How does it sound?
it is not bad, I think I'm way underpowering it so I don't want to pass judgement on it yet.

it's not as loud as my former JL 10w6v.2 but it seems to play alot tighter and punchier I'm currently giving it about 380 - 400 rms . I'm waiting on a 2500xxk to get repaired and I'll up a final review once I give it all it can take.

one thing is for sure, this sub is not as efficient as most subs available.

I'd clasify this sub as a 600-800 rms subwoofer, not the 400 rms that they claim. It is alot heavier than the 10w6v.2 and more comparable to a 10" boston G5 in terms of build and weight .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts