DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am considering buying this sub, its a 10inch sub with SVC 4ohm and handles 300W RMS. Any helpful suggestions on which amp to run this with? My budget is around $250. Going with this sub basically because it was recommended to me for what i want to accomplish with my system. Having a sub that blends well with the front stage and won't tear my car apart with excessive SPL. SQ is what i'm after, and for the sub to handle rock, techno music. i was very much interested in the MAGV4 but thats a 12 inch that won't fit under the strut bar in my 350z. Appreciate any info, thanks! :)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Just about anything could do that, do you have another amp to match it to or a preference on brand? A class D will take less 12v power but at 300rms it should not be that much of an issue anyway, and a class AB 300w 2ch you could use for highs later so I guess that is a draw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just about anything could do that, do you have another amp to match it to or a preference on brand? A class D will take less 12v power but at 300rms it should not be that much of an issue anyway, and a class AB 300w 2ch you could use for highs later so I guess that is a draw.
well i only have a arc audio 300.2 for my front speakers. should i go with a class AB amp instead of a D??

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
At that power level it really does not matter far as 12v power use, I was thinking what you might need later. Class D sub amp will get you cooler running and take less power, but 300rms is not going to suck your car dry anyway no matter what amp you use. You will need like a 600rms amp as most are rated at 2 ohms and do half at 4. I'm assuming you don't have a lot of room, then again a 400rms that does 200 at 4 ohms might push the sub well enough depending on your use and the enclosure. I have ~100rms on four 12s IB right now and they still work for music (25rms each). But they don't shake the car like they did on 400rms.

The class AB you can use for anything and it will be max output bridged at 4 ohms. They run warmer and take more power, but later you can use it for highs/subs/midbass/or anything.

I didn't really think of it because the price might be more, but you can get an ICE power amp now like a pioneer PRS and the alpine PDX they are full range class D. They are smaller, cooler running, more efficient, and you can get a 2ch that would run a SVC 4 ohm well. If you get a new amp I would advise you make sure you get a warranty unless you really have to stretch the coin that far.

Here is the pioneer, I'd like to try one but I have plenty of amps already. Pioneer Premier PRS-D2100T (prsd2100t) Class D Amplifiers Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
and the newest version Pioneer Premier PRS-D2200T (prsd2200t) Class D Amplifiers Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
well i only have a arc audio 300.2 for my front speakers. should i go with a class AB amp instead of a D??
I would get another one of those for the sub. i've never used a class D amp for sub duty since the day i first used an a/b. And like the guy above me said, it gives you more flexibility later. btw, the sdx10 is a great sub, i owned one myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At that power level it really does not matter far as 12v power use, I was thinking what you might need later. Class D sub amp will get you cooler running and take less power, but 300rms is not going to suck your car dry anyway no matter what amp you use. You will need like a 600rms amp as most are rated at 2 ohms and do half at 4. I'm assuming you don't have a lot of room, then again a 400rms that does 200 at 4 ohms might push the sub well enough depending on your use and the enclosure. I have ~100rms on four 12s IB right now and they still work for music (25rms each). But they don't shake the car like they did on 400rms.

The class AB you can use for anything and it will be max output bridged at 4 ohms. They run warmer and take more power, but later you can use it for highs/subs/midbass/or anything.

I didn't really think of it because the price might be more, but you can get an ICE power amp now like a pioneer PRS and the alpine PDX they are full range class D. They are smaller, cooler running, more efficient, and you can get a 2ch that would run a SVC 4 ohm well. If you get a new amp I would advise you make sure you get a warranty unless you really have to stretch the coin that far.

Here is the pioneer, I'd like to try one but I have plenty of amps already. Pioneer Premier PRS-D2100T (prsd2100t) Class D Amplifiers Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
and the newest version Pioneer Premier PRS-D2200T (prsd2200t) Class D Amplifiers Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
cool thanks a lot! i will research that pioneer amp looks real nice.

I would get another one of those for the sub. i've never used a class D amp for sub duty since the day i first used an a/b. And like the guy above me said, it gives you more flexibility later. btw, the sdx10 is a great sub, i owned one myself.
can you give me some of your impressions on that sub? been trying to read up on people experiences with it, not much info out there on it except its comparable to a MAGv4 which i very much like the reviews on it as it fulfills my needs for blending in with my front speakers and making them sound like they are the ones going real low.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I don't know the sub, but your enclosure/crossover slope/and EQ will determine most of how well it blends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts