DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my current component set is an a/d/s/ 3-series run actively with plenty of power available and endless crossover/level-control capabilities. The crossover settings are currently bandpassed in the 100-400 Hz (or thereabouts) range for the woofer, 400-3kHz range for the 4" mids, and the rest to the tweeters. I'm pretty happy with the woofers and tweeters, but the midrange drivers are not quite up to task - mostly in terms of power-handling (they distort a little too soon and it's not due to amplifier clipping). I could increase the HPF I suppose, but that would require increasing the LPF on the midbass drivers - and I'm not as enamoured with their high frequency characteristics as I am with their low frequencies.

So I tried replacing the a/d/s/ drivers with a set of DEIs that I was given. The DEIs appeared to be more sensitive, but not quite as warm, and they don't seem to offer a whole lot more in the power handling department.

Basically, I'm looking for the best of both worlds - a nice warm midrange and excellent power handling characteristics. Sensitivity isn't necessarily a crucial parameter *if* the driver's power handling can more than make up for it. However, due to the fact that I'm using the stock locations, I need both a good off-axis response and absolutely cannot exceed 4" in size (and can't have an excessively large mounting flange, unless it can easily be cut). Price is not an overwhelming factor, but will be considered.

Any suggestions?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I really like the old Focal Utopia 3" midrange. Had a very full bodied, smooth sound to it.

Something more along the lines of the A/D/S in tonality would be the Vifa mg 4", but should provide you with a bit more output capability.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would you compare the Peerless Exclusive 4" 830881 (that I see tested on here) to both the Focal and Vifa that you mention?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The Peerless Exclusive has more detail and dynamic range than either of the above. Has that untreated paper sound to it as well. Difficult to describe.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if I throw one more into the mix: Seas MCA12 (apparently the same design as the MCA15?). Am I sort of in a situation where I could give any one of them a try?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I have no experience with that one. I've been so stuck on Seas magnesium cone drivers for such a long time that I can't remember liking anything else anymore. I think Mark K. gave that mid an excellent review though.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm guessing the 12 means 12cm though, which is >4.5". If you can fit a 4.5"-5" speaker there are a lot more options...

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so it's down to the following:

Seas MCA12RC
Peerless Exclusive 830881
Vifa MG10MD09

My concern is with the cutout diameter and the flange diameter, as I've got a pretty tight space to work with. Here are the measurements for each:

Seas MCA12RC - 120.4mm OD, 95.8mm CO
Peerless Exclusive 830881 - 120.8mm OD, 106.8mm flat side OD, 94.9 CO
Vifa MG10MD09 - 104mm OD, 81mm CO

So, although the Seas is a "4.5 inch" driver whereas the others are "4 inch", the Seas and Peerless appear to require about the same size cutout, whereas the Vifa is substantially smaller. I guess I'll try the Vifa then, unless there are compelling reasons for choosing one of the others. Remember, I'm after high power handling and will be running it between 400Hz and no higher than 3kHz, perhaps a little lower. Since I use the DCX2496, the slopes and cutoffs are of my choosing. Any final thoughts on any of these speakers?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AJinFLA said:
Have you considered the Morel MW114S? Pretty nice SQ, but you could really dump some power into them (2.25"vc) between 400-3k. I'd give a slight edge to the Vifa SQ wise, but the Morel will probably play louder than any of your choices without compression. 118mm dia x 58mm depth, 94mm c.o.
I've actually got the 6-1/2" version of that and corresponding dome midrange currently installed in the rear doors. :) They were once in the front, but I didn't like them quite as much as their replacements so I sold the tweeters to a friend and put the other drivers in the back. I'd like to avoid using Morels for this application, due to a combination of price and what I'd consider only pretty good but not great performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts